General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training camp Europe - any suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-23 3:36 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Training camp Europe - any suggestions?

So, Mrs Duck will be spending a week back home with her family this summer and I'll be home alone. I was initially thinking to just take off that week and do a bit of training near my hometown. However, I now realised this might be a brilliant opportunity to plan a training camp in a nice location and focus only on training. The question is: where?

Basically, I'd be looking for a place:

1. Within a 1 day drive (say 1,200 km / 750 miles) from the Netherlands

2. With plenty of cycling opportunities, preferably without dense traffic

3. At or near a lake so I can finally nail my OWS

4. With a bit of nice overall scenery and culture

I have come up with the Salzkammergut in Austria (specifically the Attersee), which seems to satisfy all criteria. Also, I lived in Austria for a couple of years during college and it'd be nice to go back.

Does anyone have any better ideas? 

Thanks!

2011-06-27 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3563161

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Training camp Europe - any suggestions?

Nobody?

2011-06-27 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3563161

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Training camp Europe - any suggestions?
You could go pretty much anywhere in EU with a 1200km drive from Netherlands...

It all depends on what you expect from the trip... if you're looking for mountains, then Switzerland (Lake Geneva region is stunning!), Austria (but you've already figured that out...), French Alps (you could stay around Alpe d'Huez and have some amazing climbing and the food in that area is just the best, one of my favorites), or Costa Brava (Girona, Spain)... If you are looking at some very nice, and quite inexpensive alternatives, what about Czech Republic? Whatever you do, do not head north... Lived in Sweden for many years and weather is dismal and you won't find many cyclists around..

I think you need to come up with a priority list of what is important to you...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training camp Europe - any suggestions? Rss Feed