Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Advice re: professional association Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-01 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Advice re: professional association
I am the (volunteer) webmaster and "Chair" of the web committee for a professional association that I belong to.  It's for a group of law librarians, if that matters, and is the main professional association at the local level for someone in my type of job.

Last year I was both the chair and the main Webmaster, with backup help from someone else on the committee.  This guy turned out to be a twerp that acted without consulting with me, didn't follow best practices> For instance he created new pages not using our template with no warning or notification afterwards.  After many problems that he caused (i.e. breaking our home page...) I finally wrote an e-mail saying that it wasn't working out and we needed to find a resolution.  I spoke also with the current and incoming president about this and they seemed sympathetic.   This was in April.  I said I wanted to continue, but if I had to keep working with him I wouldn't want to.

The twerp at fault is also on the executive board this year (Member at large, sort of a made up job).   At a recent board meeting, I was told to give the twerp the necessary information to access the web server so he could continue as my back-up (they had changed recently).  I was stunned, after expressly telling these people I didn't want to work with him.  I sent an e-mail later thanking then for reminding me to setup a backup, and I would train in another person (which I had discussed on the phone in April) right away.  I was told to wait as the executive board discussed the future plans for the committee. (??? - with no feedback from me).

Now, suddenly, the executive board has decided that there should be two separate people:  the "Chair" who manages things and the Webmaster who makes actual changes.   I was annoyed because I like the Webmaster work and I was also getting an icky feeling about this new level of control.   I was ready to give up but decided to stick out my term as promised.  I said "Okay, I will be the Chair and the backup person I named earlier is willing to be Webmaster."  Again, I am told to wait.

I just got an e-mail saying that they want me to be the chair and they have asked a third, not discussed until now, person to be Webmaster.  I don't object to this particular person, but I think it's wrong that they assigned her without consulting me.   I think they may also be tolerating me, so that they aren't the mean people asking me to leave.

So, what do I do?  I think my options are:
1.  Be really nice and just go along with it, knowing I will see these people everywhere.
2.  Resign and tell them how I feel.  I am not interested in being the chair of the committee if I cannot even have the option to appoint people to do the work not to mention how they handled it.
3.  Make an excuse to quit that everyone can feel good about. I can make up a story about pressures at work, time, etc.

Sorry this is so long, but I really hope someone will read and give me advice. I can't get unbiased advice from people who know me directly.

2011-07-01 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3576990

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Advice re: professional association

Personally if it bugged me that much (which it would), I would make up an excuse and quit. The people that matter are probably  already in tune with your real feelings about the situation anyway and dont care.

It also sounds like the twerp is pulling some strings in the background because he knows you didnt want to work with him as backup any more.

2011-07-01 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

How much do you need the professional ties that come with being part of the local leadership? 

If it's important, find a way to work with the twerp (and this assumes that your peers understand that he's a twerp) and you'll look very professional.

If it's not, excuse yourself from the responsibility with an offer to train your replacement (even if it's the twerp) and move on

2011-07-01 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3577103

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Thanks.  I am very tempted to cut and move on, but I don't want to be viewed as a quitter.  It is also super tempting to give them at least a small piece of my mind.

The group is pervasive in my work world, so I would see folks and it might be touchy.  On the other hand I am not exactly looking to move around and this sort of library work (law) is a type which I am the least interested in. 

The twerp and the witchy president at the heart of this are both lawyers as well as librarians.  Did I mention that? 
2011-07-01 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3577167

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

BikerGrrrl - 2011-07-01 1:34 PM Thanks.  I am very tempted to cut and move on, but I don't want to be viewed as a quitter.  It is also super tempting to give them at least a small piece of my mind.

The group is pervasive in my work world, so I would see folks and it might be touchy.  On the other hand I am not exactly looking to move around and this sort of library work (law) is a type which I am the least interested in. 

The twerp and the witchy president at the heart of this are both lawyers as well as librarians.  Did I mention that? 

Move on.  No reason to muddy professional waters with giving them even a small piece of your mind, especially if they're quite pervasive.  Do not give them any more ammunition to use against you. 

2011-07-01 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
I agree with moving on without going off on them.  I suggest just resigning, set a time table when they need to have someone else ready to do the job.  If asked why, be honest that you don't agree with the current changes/situation and make sure to keep it  professional.  I know it would feel good to go off on them, but you never know how that will come around down the road.

2011-07-01 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3577370

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

m55morris - 2011-07-01 1:09 PM I agree with moving on without going off on them.  I suggest just resigning, set a time table when they need to have someone else ready to do the job.  If asked why, be honest that you don't agree with the current changes/situation and make sure to keep it  professional.  I know it would feel good to go off on them, but you never know how that will come around down the road.

This. You never know who is watching how you deal with carp like this. Take the high road and you'll more likely get a good offer of something later. Silver linings and all that. Be witchy back and you've just lowered yourself to their level.

2011-07-01 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3577671

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I appreciate the time you guys have taken to read this!  I totally agree, I definitely will not "go off."  I was hoping to have a few well chosen words like "I am disappointed that I was not included in the discussions on how this was going to go.  I am not quitting but rather I am feel that the situation was handled badly and don't want to waste any more time" and not "you guys are a bunch of jerks" (which is how I feel!)

I am currently planning on saying something like "I am not interested in continuing in this role, I hope you can find someone better suited."  Or something like that. 

I am just glad that everyone, even people I know IRL, have all said to move on.  That's great!
2011-07-01 9:18 PM

Why don't you slowly work your way out of the job. Don't say anything, more than likely it won't do a bit of good. Put the energy into something you enjoy. It sounds as though you have let them know how you feel and you see how the problem has been resolved.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Advice re: professional association Rss Feed