General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Setting an ambitous run goal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-02 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Setting an ambitous run goal
This morning, I got really busy with the smaller things in life and didnt have time to go out for a run. My GF just got me a fuel belt so before leaving for work I decided to set myself a challenge.

I need to know if this is something I shouldnt do or if it is done properly, can this be a ground breaking day for me?

I decided to pack lightly to go to work so I could leave my shirt and tie in my office and run home instead of taking the subway and bus. The distance I need to cover is 18km (11.1 miles). My longest run to date has been 10km (6.2 miles) so I am going towards unknown territory.

I was thinking, as long as I stay within LSD HR and know that I might not be able to run the entire distance, I should be ok.

Any objections to this, I am sitting at my desk 90 minutes away from go time and am getting a little anxious I guess.

2005-09-03 12:24 AM
in reply to: #239986

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Subject: RE: Setting an ambitous run goal
ITS DONE

I pushed through it and although I think the distance was a little too much for my current level of fitness, I now know what I can accomplish if I put my mind to it.

I will take everyones lack of response to my questioning as additional motivation that I should believe in myself next time.

max run before today = 10km
max run now= 19.4km
2005-09-03 12:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Kochi, Japan
Nice job!
2005-09-03 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish other than maybe prove something to yourself? Any idiot can go out there and beat the snot out of themselves, and many do.....Training is about gradually growing the load, allowing the body to recover and strengthen itself while doing it. Some folks finish marathons with almost no prep. Their goal is only to finish, not to build up serious running form, endurance and general ability. Hell, they are so sore, they will never do it again. That is not what tri is about for most folks here.

Edited by us50090 2005-09-03 10:41 AM
2005-09-03 10:44 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Congrat for pushing through.  But make sure you don't injure youeself by pushing too much.  Not worth to prove your ability by hurting.
2005-09-03 4:34 PM
in reply to: #240151

User image

Veteran
Wichita, KS
I understand what you are saying, us5, but there's something to be said for setting very ambitious goals, too. If you've been running 4-5 miles a day, 3-4 days a week, you are in decent shape, and can do much more than 5 miles at once. Trying for a personal best like that can be tremendously rewarding for your confidence to push farther, and the knowledge that you've done it helps each time after that. While the long-term is still the focus, having short-term goals like that can really help give focus, and show that the work is worthwhile.

(edit: not that I needed to tell you that, us5, just that I felt your tone was a little rough on him. For some of us beginners, me especially, getting the positive feedback is more important than the harsh words right now.)

Congrats, sauna, on doing something that was outside your comfort zone!

Edited by goodzen 2005-09-03 4:36 PM

2005-09-03 5:51 PM
in reply to: #240238

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
goodzen - 2005-09-03 2:34 PM

I understand what you are saying, us5, but there's something to be said for setting very ambitious goals, too. If you've been running 4-5 miles a day, 3-4 days a week, you are in decent shape, and can do much more than 5 miles at once. Trying for a personal best like that can be tremendously rewarding for your confidence to push farther, and the knowledge that you've done it helps each time after that. While the long-term is still the focus, having short-term goals like that can really help give focus, and show that the work is worthwhile.

(edit: not that I needed to tell you that, us5, just that I felt your tone was a little rough on him. For some of us beginners, me especially, getting the positive feedback is more important than the harsh words right now.)

Congrats, sauna, on doing something that was outside your comfort zone!

Point taken. One of the values of this forum is that it afford a variety of view points to be heard. I often try to give another viewpoint rather than just echoing the predominant BT ra-ra viewpoint of 'just go for it'. You can do with it what you want. If it makes you think, wonder, perhaps, it should....when you post in hopes of hearing what you want to hear, you may get something to think about instead....
2005-09-04 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Thanks for the responses.

I would have to say that after doing it, I feel you are both right. Mentally I feel I have a better confidence in myself. I broke through a barrier. On the other hand. I knew, the same night that I might have did a little too much. I have often read how runs should be progressively increased by about 10% / week. The stupid thing is that I knew that, and still wanted to see what I could do. So I went ahead and pushed through it. The 3 last miles were hard on my legs.

I now see that this could have lead to injury. I realized this in the last miles. At that point, I really reduced my speed to a slow trot. I didnt care about time, I just wanted to finish it..that was the goal.

Anyways, I am rambling. I thank you for the help on this. Next time, I will be more cautious in my training in the future.

(Mor montrealers out there, I loved runing the Jacques-Cartier bridge. Great slight up-and- down inclines. Great view too.)
2005-09-04 2:09 PM
in reply to: #240455

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

sauna66 - 2005-09-04 1:38 PM Next time, I will be more cautious in my training in the future.

Please do! That was quite a jump in distance and I'm glad that you are doing okay.

2005-09-04 2:22 PM
in reply to: #240455

User image

Expert
Montreal
sauna66 - 2005-09-04 12:38 PM

(Mor montrealers out there, I loved runing the Jacques-Cartier bridge. Great slight up-and- down inclines. Great view too.)

Then keep on training and join in next June for the Fat Ass Ultra which starts in Beaconsfield through Pointe Claire, Dorval, Lachine, NDG, Montreal, Cite de Havre, Concorde Bridge across Ile Ste Helene to the Jacques Cartier back across the bridge through the park and up Rachel to the summit of Mount Royal. It is a great run. But you should start training for it now

I say congrats on your push through. I tend to be cautious but sometimes you do have to challenge yourself to see what you are made of. The great thing about running is that you can stop anytime you want and walk the rest of the way. Running is the best part of the Tri!

2005-09-05 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Thanks Wookie,

You know what? I think I might leave the Ultra aspirations behind for now. I am aiming at my 1st Oly next year. That's all I can promise right now. Maybe I'll follow you guys in my car and then jump out a mile or two before the finish line. lol

2005-09-05 9:04 PM
in reply to: #240490

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Wookiee - 2005-09-04 12:22 PM

Running is the best part of the Tri!

I wonder how many people here feel the same way...I only ran before getting into tri and I really enjoy getting off the bike and look forward the whole race to leaving everything I have on the (run) course. My guess (and that's all it is) is that most triathletes are first and foremost cyclists especially the long distance types....
2005-09-06 3:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

Glad things went well for you sauna...

I personally don't agree with the whole 10% increase theory, I feel it has its place but it's more of an overcautious stance on avoiding injury (see, it all depends on where you are in life and how you feel about your bodies abilities).

I have a similar story where my longest run ever was 6 miles.  I decided (because I felt comfortable) to challenge myself to 4 1/2 marathons in one month (one a weekend).  Long story short, I did it.  I also learned a lot about my limits during that time...things I wouldn't ever have known unless I had done that.

The best thing you can do when charting uncharted territory is to be alert to what your body is telling you.  But don't be afraid to push a limit or you'll never know what your fully capable of.

So are you all stiff in the joints?

2005-09-06 6:19 AM
in reply to: #240076

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
How did you feel the next day? Good job btw.
2005-09-06 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Quebec City
Congratulations! Keep up the good work.
2005-09-06 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
My joints were pretty sore for the next 36 hours. For some reason my right ankle was the most sore part of my body. On that same night I had difficulties sleeping. Could this be because I over did it? Or it might be the fact that I had caffeine before my run (which started 4 hours before going to bed) .

Anyways, I am glad I did it, I think I will still slow down the pace a little until I feel stronger in my runs. Thanks for all the comments.

2005-09-07 11:59 AM
in reply to: #240490

Pro
Wookiee - 2005-09-04 2:22 PM

Then keep on training and join in next June for the Fat Ass Ultra which starts in Beaconsfield through Pointe Claire, Dorval, Lachine, NDG, Montreal, Cite de Havre, Concorde Bridge across Ile Ste Helene to the Jacques Cartier back across the bridge through the park and up Rachel to the summit of Mount Royal. It is a great run. But you should start training for it now

Seriously now, how much training is required and for what duration to do an Ultra? It's silly, but I've started to consider almost anything possible now, and I have virtually no basis for this opinion.
2005-09-07 12:31 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i totally understand. i was doing up to 6 miles at a time...then one rainy day, i ran 9. i just felt good and kept going. i was sore the next day, but not too bad. i broke the 10% rule in a huge way, but i also gave my body extra time to recover. that fall i did my first half-marathon, and had to break the 10% a few more times to build up to the distance i needed. i only trained to a bit over 10 miles, but was still able to finish the 1/2 feeling good. it is good to push and test your limits every once in a while, but you should do so with an attentiveness to your body. sounds like you were doing that. rest, recover, and do some yoga...then get back out there!
2005-09-07 3:02 PM

Subject: RECOVERY
Allow at least 36 hours before ANY hard exercise (especially lower body - legs) and then see
2005-09-08 2:57 AM
in reply to: #242141

User image

Veteran
Wichita, KS
autumn - 2005-09-07 12:31 PM

i totally understand. i was doing up to 6 miles at a time...then one rainy day, i ran 9. i just felt good and kept going. i was sore the next day, but not too bad. i broke the 10% rule in a huge way...

Actually, I'm not sure that you did. The rule is 10% PER WEEK, not on any given day. While a longer run will obviously take more out of you, the extra days off are factored into the week. So if you were running 6 miles/day, 5 days/week (30 miles, we'll assume), then you might have run 6miles/day for 4 days, and 9 miles the other...leading to 33 miles, or a 10% increase! Sorry, but you stayed within the rules, you wanna be rebel!

The other part is that, as you are starting out, you can probably increase a little more than 10% at a time, since the distances are very short. It is after you have been training for a long time that you want to avoid to large a change in distance. Also, even if you do break the rule, if you aren't supposed to do it two weeks in a row.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Setting an ambitous run goal Rss Feed