General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Free beginner IM plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-09 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Free beginner IM plan

Hey gang,

Decided I needed some help in motivation and organization as I get ready for IMFL.  Have been doing my own thing for well over a year and have what I think is a good base, but decided to start up the BT beginner IM Plan.  Was kinda surprised to see a 90min run right off the bat and back-to-back-to-back runs next week.  That 3-peat is just not going to happen as I'm too old and lame to run without rest.  So here's my question for those who have used this plan.  What level is this plan targeted?  Meaning:  Is it meant to help someone survive an IM or MOP or KQ?  If I shorten some of the planned exercises do I risk DNF because it is a minimal plan or is there flexibility here to adjust up and down and still be on track for a good IM.  IMFL will be my first, and given my time constraints this year am looking mainly to finish with some pride intact, and get the "first one" out of the way.

Thanks

2011-07-09 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3587956

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Free beginner IM plan

I assume you read this, which answers most of your questions.  The plan is meant to help you finish your first IM.  It assumes you have been training consistently in the 8-10 hr/wk range for some time (several months) before starting it.  With that as a backdrop, a 90 min long run in week 1 should not be unexpected nor overly challenging.  If you aren't at that level, then the plan may be too aggressive for you. 

I do not see the back-to-back-to-back runs the next week.  But, I would encourage you to think about using frequency in your running if it is a weakness.  That is, especially if you feel you must cut back the duration of some runs, add in some other short runs to keep your volume up.  There are some good threads around that discuss why this is a good idea for many people.  Usually the 'I can't recover' excuse is a sign that the individual simply doesn't run enough.  And more frequent, shorter, easy running is generally the best way to build the durability you'll need for IM.  It seems somewhat counter-intuitive to many who think they need more time off in order to recover, but works for the vast majority.  However, building that into a 20-week plan may be somewhat aggressive in itself (it does take a bit to build that frequency into your training).

2011-07-09 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3587975

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Thanks for info. I did, in fact, read what the creator of the plan said about his plan. I was looking for some anecdotal info from users. Surprisingly enough I'm not nearly as sore as I thought I might be after the 90min yesterday, so maybe I am ready for this intensity and didn't realize it. ( hence the reason for finally getting a plan...to push me further than I think I can.
2011-07-10 12:02 PM

Regular
Quincy
I am using the plan for IMKY (my first IM) and struggled at first. Keep in mind that you are going to need to do some of you runs slower than normal. Later on in the plan there is run focused week and a bike focused week that can be hard but I know I have more confidence having done almost all of the workouts. I did not believe that I could do some of them until I had done them. Best of luck.
2011-07-10 10:57 PM

Veteran
I have been using the plan for about 15 weeks.  It is pretty much a minimum especially if your a slow runner. I am near 3 hours and only running 16 miles.  That's 10 short of what I have to do on race day.  I can't imagine doing less.  However, I have a swim background so I cut back to 2 swims per week to allow for extra family time and recovery. The 15 and 17 hour weeks are tough but necessary
2011-07-11 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
I am in the last 2 weeks of the plan. Ironman Lake Placid is July 24th <gulp>. I am 52 year old. I did the first 8 weeks, twice. Stretching the 20 week plan into a 28 week plan. Get used to the back to back running days. It pays off big time later. The only issue I had with the plan was the swimming times don't match up with the swimming workouts. Here in Michigan, we had a nasty winter / spring but... I was able to execute this plan and work full time. Good Luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Free beginner IM plan Rss Feed