General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting lost during a race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-11 7:54 AM

User image

Subject: Getting lost during a race?
I keep reading all these posts of people getting lost during there race. I am doing my first tri next month and was wondering how well they have the routes marked? I keep hearing of people getting lost during the race. Any suggestions as to how to make sure you stay on course. I know you can go a few days ahead to go through the route but if it is like any run I have done it is hard to get off course because they have the mapped out with cones and signs? Thanks for the help!

2011-07-11 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3589946

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Getting lost during a race?
It varies greatly from race to race... some are extremely well marked and have knowledgeable volunteers at all critical points. Others are less well marked and can lead to confusion as to where to turn etc.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually getting lost at a race though... making a wrong turn and either cutting it short, or go too far, yes.

For the most part, races are well marked, but you will need to pay attention as you are responsible to know the course.
2011-07-11 8:00 AM

User image

It depends entirely on the:

Length of the race (shorter races have fewer chances of wrong turns)
Placement you are in the field (if you're in the middle you have people to follow)
Number of volunteers available (the more the less likely people are to wander)

amongst other things. Notice a lot to most of the lost people are up at the pointy end of the race where they have no one to follow or they're in a blank spot where no one's around them.

In a tri I don't believe I've ever gotten lost. In century rides that's not the case.

2011-07-11 8:05 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
The only race I've ever gotten lost on was a trail marathon in Gnaw Bone, Indiana.

I was so lost that the half marathon took me a solid four hours. I wandered around the forest with three other people, just running and hoping we'd find the end.

Otherwise I don't think it's much of an issue -- usually things are well-marked and manned.
2011-07-11 8:34 AM

User image

New user

Sometimes in the heat of the moment a split second decision you make is not wise.  When I got off-course in my first tri: yesterday it was 90% my fault.  I reviewed the course map and I should have known not to make that turn.  The other 10% was on the shoulders of the people directing the bikes.  I wish someone would have yelled/threw something at me to tell me I was headed in the wrong direction.  My line of sight was impaired due to car traffic held up for the race to the point I could not tell where the riders (appox 250 yards ahead) were headed.

I think the bike portion is easier to get lost on simply due to the speed at which decisions have to be made.  Lesson learned for me: review the course map and stick to what you know.  I should have known, I was just so concerned with speed, cadence, etc to give it enough thought.

2011-07-11 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I've been here a long time and rarely hear about folks getting lost on the course. I agree with Daniel about reasons why folks go off course.

If you are average speed and not a tiny race you just follow the people in front of you.

Best way to avoid getting lost is to pre ride the bike course. If you can't preride it drive it before the race.

Yes most courses have cones, volunteers, and some paint the street.

2011-07-11 8:52 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
If you can manage it, the best thing to do is to either ride or drive the entire course before the race. 

Most races have either signs or volunteers at most of the key turns to keep the competitors on course.

I did a small local race a few years ago that had poorly marked bike and running courses. 

One husband and wife duo riding together got hopelessly lost on the bike course.  It was a two loop course and they actually passed me going the opposite direction when I was on my second lap.  They were arguing with each other and the wife was really giving it to the husband for getting them lost.  The race director eventually had to send some volunteers out in cars to find them and lead them back.

I missed a turn on the run during the same race and went about 200 yd off course before I realized something was wrong. 

Mark
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting lost during a race? Rss Feed