Xterra, Carolina Trail Racing
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 56s
Overall Rank = 12/140
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/19
Pre-race routine:

Normal craziness before a race. Try to hydrate, get some calories, drink a blenheim ginger ale and crank some TOOL
Event warmup:

I never end up having time to stretch, Or really get my heartrate up and back down before a race. Did a little swim in the river.
Swim
  • 16m 59s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great unique swim course, I really like. My swim times so far this year are all slower than last years, however my overall times are improving. Im gon keep taking this as my swim endurance has improved and I just need to keep working on speed
What would you do differently?:

Get a better pre race warm up and stretch to keep my heart rate from elevating too much. Get back to doing some strength training because my arms got tired
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Slid in the mud running to T1 but caught myself before going down. Cool save Rocket. Im always a little slower in transition than Id like to be however I didnt make any real mistakes.

Get more efficient and fluid to get back on the course faster. Transition isnt time to rest. I can rest when Im done
Bike
  • 1h 32m 12s
  • 16 miles
  • 10.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike course was wet, every root, rock and turn was dangerous. Probably the wettest ride Ive had since most mtb trails would be closed in those conditions. Still a level playing field. The toilet bowl loop kicked my but on the first lap. I went down 5 times on climbs with roots and threw my chain once. IT WAS FUN THO!

Reduce my air pressure a little bit for the conditions, electrolyte drink in my camel back instead of water. Another gel
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

felt pretty good actually. Like above, Im a little slow in transitions anyway but didnt make any mistakes. Someone drank my gateorade!

Usually I rehearse t1 and t2 a couple times. I didnt for this race, it would have helped since it is different from a road tri.
Run
  • 43m 45s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

The only complaint about the race that I have is the water/gatorade stops on the run. The first water stop on the run wasnt until 2.5 miles in, the second was about 3.75. That was it. Since all I drank on the bike was water, I started cramping at about mile 3. Its kind of a funny story. I was so thirsty I was looking for water bottles that may have been bounced loose from someones bike. I found one, took a swig and dropped it next to the trail in case the next guy was thinking like me. The next bottle I found, I took a swig and it tasted like it may have been laying there for a few days so I spit it back out. Then I saw a bottle that was more off the trail, when I jumped through the woods, my sore tired legs got out of "normal" form and my right hamstring locked up. I peg legged the next 1/4 mile while crying like a girl. It loosened up a little, however the "twinge" stayed. Had a very tough run for the rest of the hilly parts, did better on the flats after the cramps.

Nutrition and hydration, electrolytes, pre race stretching
Post race
Warm down:

Gatorade, sat down in the holding pond. Cramped and cried.Celebrated finishing a tough race, congratulated other finishers. Miller High Life.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didnt pay enough attention to detailing during race nutrition. I didnt do terrible at it, but I could have done better to prevent cramping and gassing on the run.

Event comments:

Again, the only complaint I have is the drink stations on the run. I thought it was a great race and will do it again next year.

Last updated: 2011-01-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:59 | 820 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 26/140
Performance: Average
Suit: tri suit
Course: 550M triange in the Catawba River, 1/4 mile run through the trails to whitewater holding pond, 200M swim across the pond.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:32:12 | 16 miles | 10.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 11/140
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 2, 8 mile loops on the WWC trails minus the figure 8 loop, the weigh station, and the green trail.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:43:45 | 04.97 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 16/140
Performance: Average
Course: 5 mile trail run on the North Main, carpet, back up the pipeline to the power line then around the whitewater to finish
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-11 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Subject: Xterra Whitewater

2011-07-11 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3590343

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Xterra Whitewater

Looks like you had a pretty great race!

For my first one, and being a VERY new mountain biker, I did okay. Had a great run! Most importantly, I had a blast, worked very hard, and learned very quickly that xterra definitely demands a lot of respect from athletes who attempt it. 

I'm glad to see that you agreed that the mtn bike course was extremely muddy. My first lap was absolutely awful, and I went down so many times on the course that I lost count - at least 6!

Thanks for the report - I'll post one eventually!

2011-07-13 3:57 PM

better then last year? i remember you where unhappy with the post race spread any better this year? looks like it had more finishers? damn race fell on a bad weekend again for me.

thanks for the report

2011-07-13 4:10 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Awesome report.  Congrats on the p2nd place finish.  Swim course sounds fun.  Pickin up H20 bottles from the ground.... sweet. 

2011-07-18 12:18 AM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Thanks yous guys! @trophyhusband. They had plenty of post race food this year. I probably shouldnt have made such a big deal of it last year being the first race but I was hungry!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Whitewater Rss Feed