General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Neck/Shoulder Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-05 8:39 PM

New user

Valparaiso Indiana
Subject: Neck/Shoulder Pain
Folks,

During long rides (30 or more miles) I start getting cramped up int he shoulders and neck area. I find some relief by tucking my chin to my chest, when I am sure I can look away from the road, and it does not linger long after riding.

Does anyone have anyideas on how I might lossen this up or remedy this? I assume it is my riding, I am on an Aero2 with 44cm wide handlesbars & Aero Bars are in place as well ( just not used to them yet)

In prep for my first tri next year I have been building endurance on teh bike, averaging about 150 miles a week with at least 1 or 2 30-50 mile rides each weekend. I have signed up for the Apple Cider Century just to go the distance and to give myself some goal this year as I still have more wieght to lose and have not yet started swimming.
Any ideas are appreciated -- Thank you!

Edited by BobP 2005-09-05 8:40 PM

2005-09-08 8:55 AM
in reply to: #241061

New user

Valparaiso Indiana
Subject: RE: Neck/Shoulder Pain
Folks,

I guess no one has experienced this. This is the main thing I believe I have to overcome to completing a succeful tri come spring. If anyone has a suggestion as to where I can LOOK for an answer -- that would be appreciated.
2005-09-08 3:41 PM

User image

Regular
Lakewood CO
I occasionally get this when I spend more than a couple of hours on the bike. Typically, I find it is due to me tensing my sholders and not relaxing. I find myself almost shrugging my sholders upward and backward at times. Making a conscious effort to really relax my sholders and not tense up makes all the difference. While this may not be the issue in your case, try and observe your posture when riding and especially once you start feeling the pains and look at how you are holding/positioning your neck/sholder area.

-Mark
2005-09-08 3:46 PM

New user

Valparaiso Indiana
Mark,

Thanks -- I just got back from a PT and he said there is nothing physically wrong that he can see -- so it would have to be something of that nature -- I am wondering if going to a 46mm wide handle bars would help as I have a 54" should measurement - I may need to widen the grip and as you say -- loosen up a bit!
2005-09-08 4:05 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Are you having back problems in the aero position or on the hood area? Did you get a professional fit?
2005-09-08 4:21 PM
in reply to: #242926

New user

Valparaiso Indiana
No, no back problems in the aero position - or any position to that regard, everything in in the middle of my shoulders - radiating up into the neck an dout the top of the shoulders.
My shop "fit" me utilizing measurments - I know there is a better way - I just need to find someone that can take it ot the next level for me.
I realize I am a big guy and always will be - I do alot of lifting, no longer power lift -- just lightweight - multiple reps, and I have lost over 70lbs now. I just am hoping for a possible solution to try, before the Century ride I have coming up. If there is one thing that can defeat me -- its this pain -- which goes away within 15 minutes after getting off the bike! Hence why the PT said nothing physical - probably postion related.
I have tried my stem in both the horizontal and the elevated position, the up position seems to relieve it a bit, but at the end of 40 miles, I feel like I am on fire....

2005-09-08 4:32 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
As a MTBer, we have what they call riser bars which help alleviate people with shoulder pain. For us, it's more because we are holding so much weight with our arms and shoulders for a long period of time. By raising the front bar, it brings us into a more upright position but less aero of course. Don't know if this info will help
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Neck/Shoulder Pain Rss Feed