General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why oh Why do RD allow non racers in transition? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-07-18 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3599701

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Why oh Why do RD allow non racers in transition?
guppie58 - 2011-07-16 6:32 PM

It was tri del sol in west mich. Non USAT sprint. However, one of my others was USAT. The other two were xterras. Those two concerned me most because it wasn't watched at all.

I volunteered at one yesterday, here in Miami. I got there at 5:00am and they said they 'really didn't need any more help, but.. go to body marking'. So, I went.. in NO TIME there were a zillion people... I must have marked 50 and they 'didn't need' any help. Right... I skipped my long run for this? Not even a thanks for coming.

SO... when I saw the mount and dismount areas with just a few orange cones...and spectators getting closer and closer...and walking across precariously close to riders... I thought, why didn't they ask me to help there? One biker went down, not sure why, needed an ambulance. It was awful, no control. USAT, yes. Another 10 or 15 feet of fencing and cones would have made a huge difference.

2011-07-18 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3599608

Socks - 2011-07-16 3:53 PM Its actually against USAT rules I think but Bear would know better than me.  I was in T2 once and there was this lady not racing snapping pictures in the transition area of her athlete.  I yelled at her to get out of the way twice because she didn't move the first time and her reply was "I'm legally blind".....seriously WTF does that have to do with anything?  Bet the pictures were bad then....bahhaha.  Anyway I told her "spectators are not allowed in transition" to which she again replied "I'm legally blind" Which i guess is a blanket excuse for bad behavior and I said "Well you better get out of the way because you are going to get run over" and exited transition.

You definately should say something to the RD about the security issue. 

Congrats on the PB tho

Ohhh that would make me absolutely RAGE.  "You're legally blind?  You'll legally have my aerobar up your $*! if you don't get out of the way!"

2011-07-18 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3599597

Veteran
If you're experiencing this a lot, you should contact the race organizer BEFORE the event and express your concerns.  If they won't run a secure event, tell them you won't enter.
2011-07-18 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3601139

stephsprint - 2011-07-18 8:21 AM
guppie58 - 2011-07-16 6:32 PM It was tri del sol in west mich. Non USAT sprint. However, one of my others was USAT. The other two were xterras. Those two concerned me most because it wasn't watched at all.
I volunteered at one yesterday, here in Miami. I got there at 5:00am and they said they 'really didn't need any more help, but.. go to body marking'. So, I went.. in NO TIME there were a zillion people... I must have marked 50 and they 'didn't need' any help. Right... I skipped my long run for this? Not even a thanks for coming. SO... when I saw the mount and dismount areas with just a few orange cones...and spectators getting closer and closer...and walking across precariously close to riders... I thought, why didn't they ask me to help there? One biker went down, not sure why, needed an ambulance. It was awful, no control. USAT, yes. Another 10 or 15 feet of fencing and cones would have made a huge difference.

I was there as a racer.  I think their security in transition is fine but I agree about the mount/dismount area.  It was better marked by the time I got off the bike.  Honestly, I think this race is way too big for my taste.

June

2011-07-18 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3601103

User image

Payson, AZ
chirunner134 - 2011-07-18 4:52 AM

interesting how many races I do will not let people back into transition until everyone is on the run.  They talk about this for bike checking reason so they can make sure every bike is in transition.  After reading this I think its more a polite way to say "So you will not get in another racers way". 

I think its a good thing the more I look at it.

It is a good thing IMO but it can kind of bite when you finish and it is 100+ out and there is no shade to be found but you have to wait to get your bike.  But it is a good time to go out there and cheer on those still on the course. 

Edited by bzgl40 2011-07-18 2:26 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why oh Why do RD allow non racers in transition? Rss Feed  

of 2