Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-07-18 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3599851

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: I've never ran/run without music
I can't help you I have never run with music.  Survival and focusing on what I am doing is more important to me.

2011-07-18 2:58 PM

User image

Madison, WI
I never train with music for the simple reason that you can't race with music. I try to keep it as consistent as possible. Besides, I like being with my thoughts. I've solved many of the worlds problems while on long runs...unfortunately, the beer afterwards tends to wash away all of those solutions. Beer, the cause and solution to all of life's problems.
2011-07-18 3:04 PM

User image

Indianapolis

I always train with music- even in the pool. I had my first HIM a week and a half ago and was really worried about how I was going to get through 6+ hours without it.  I didn't miss it at all.  I was so focused on technique, heartrate, nutrition, etc. that the time actually went by pretty fast.

2011-07-18 3:06 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

newtoness5 - 2011-07-16 8:17 PM First tri tomorrow and just found out that music is not allowed....oh no! I've trained all this time with ear buds

You've been missing out.  A whole world opens up when you ditch the crutch.

2011-07-18 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Monadnock
I usually train with music, but the first serious effort I did without music, I was surprised how loud my breathing was. "Who is that wild boar grunting and huffing?" I'm thinking. "Oh, it's me....Wow." You'll probably be pushing harder than usual, plus you'll be listening to yourself for the first time. Don't let that startle you. Embrace the grunting pig sounds and charge on.
2011-07-18 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3600883

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
goobergirl98 - 2011-07-17 7:17 PM

I actually find that I run slower with music. I use my IPOD on the the treadmill (and trainer) and that is it. I've even ditched it on track sessions as too. 

Try it. You'll like it!

^^  I really think this is true for more people than realize it.  Definitely was holding my wife back...she still runs with tunes on her Iphone, but the one time last year she forgot to bring her Ipod for a 14 mile run was an eye-opener for her.

I know that there are some indications floating around out there that music can help with pace, but I'm convinced that is only the case if you are really using it properly...for alot of people, it is used to distract them from how uncomfortable they are while running, which--in turn--just keeps them from actually pushing their run to the next level.  YMMV...

2011-07-18 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3602370

User image

Veteran
Monadnock

tcovert - 2011-07-18 4:07 PM

for alot of people, it is used to distract them from how uncomfortable they are while running, which--in turn--just keeps them from actually pushing their run to the next level.  YMMV...

This sounds true to me. I think I like my runs too much. I make myself suffer on the bike and am very in tune with my body, but not really on the runs....also afraid of injury. I need to start a little (not too much) interval training and do it without music.

2011-07-18 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Monadnock
OK, I need help...My name is Andy, and I am a music-aholic. I had resolved to do my five mile recovery run sans earbuds, but I started towards the door and then grabbed my ipod at the last moment. And I really loved it. I have a problem.....
2011-07-18 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3603027

Houston

andyaxa - 2011-07-18 9:36 PM OK, I need help...My name is Andy, and I am a music-aholic. I had resolved to do my five mile recovery run sans earbuds, but I started towards the door and then grabbed my ipod at the last moment. And I really loved it. I have a problem.....

Hell, I swim and aqua jog with mine.  I'm not a music-aholic.  I don't go to meetings.

2011-07-18 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3603073

User image

Veteran
Monadnock

Enabler!!

2011-07-19 12:00 PM

User image

Regular
I always used to run with my iPod but, for some reason, when I started training in January for my 7th half mary I decided to leave the iPod at home.  Haven't picked it up since!  I find that I really enjoy just hearing the sounds - whether it's cars, or the sound of my feet or my breathing, or chatting with my husband while we run.  It's pleasant to me.  Not saying I won't ever run with music again, but it has been really enjoyable without it.

2011-07-19 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3603077

Houston

Seriously, though I can either run with music or run without it.  I'm not a hardcore supporter of either method* and really it depends on my mood.   Sometimes I don't listen to music at all, sometimes I listen to books on tape and NPR, and sometimes I turn it all off. It also depends on who I'm running with.  For example, some mornings I run with an organized group.  I hate to admit it, but I cannot stand the chatter of other people in the morning.  So to tune out the inane chatter about boyfriends and children and work and dogs and whatever, I listen to whatever is on my ipod, which in the mornings, is usually a book on tape.  I know.  I know. I'm awful.  I'm fine with it. Cool

A way to ween yourself off of it, is to start running half your miles (minutes, whatever) without it. Eventually you'll get used to not using it at all. You'll be fine at the triathlon.  There is a lot going on.

*I've never gotten hurt while listening to music and I have been jogging for fifteen years in different cities and on different terrains.  I guess I'm too slow to get seriously hurt! Tongue out

2011-07-19 6:53 PM

STL, MO
Okay, so the tri went OKAY!  I found that music was allowed for the run....I ran half with the iPod...then it quit because it was TOO HOT (96 degrees)!  So I ran the rest without.....I survived.  Now if someone could teach me to swim well...that would be great Laughing
2011-07-20 7:31 AM

User image

Master
I love running without music because it allows me to hear the sounds of a pack of coyotes beginning to encircle me or the occasional approaching mugger.
2013-06-05 3:46 PM
in reply to: firegirlred

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I used to run with headphones...on my final run before the City of Oaks HM, the sweat must've destroyed my left earbud (I didn't know it at the time). Cityof Oaks arrives, I'm at the start, I push play and realize all I can hear is the baseline and backup vocals. I couldn't ditch the IPod at the time, and 2 hours of hearing Johnny Cash's backup singers say, "Ring of Fire" with no other lyrics pretty much cured me of my need for tunes. I also found while training for a full marathon sans music, I appreciate the world around me a little more.
2013-06-05 3:54 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

Regular
Toronto, ON
That's some thread resurrection, but worth it for the story.
I destroy headphones running with my acid sweat, so I don't bother any more.

2013-06-05 4:29 PM
in reply to: fishwallop

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

I always run with music or a podcast and I feel this hurt me during the run portion of my tri.  I think I would have been better prepared to block out all the distractions & focus on my run had I trained more without listening to anything.

I'm going to make sure one run a week is with no ear-buds from now on.

2013-06-05 4:41 PM
in reply to: newtoness5

New user
Key West
I've never in 33 years run with music. I actually get a bit annoyed in races when someone next to me has really loud music I can hear through their earbuds/earphones. Don't get me wrong I am a music lover, I just have always been a purist and find that I can either concentrate better on my running or completely zone out into a Zen state (which I cannot do with music). So, I think you will be fine, especially with all the activity and excitement around you.
2013-06-05 7:55 PM
in reply to: fishwallop

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by fishwallop

I didn't even notice the date! It was at the top of page 2 of the forum, though. How could that be??!!!!!!!!!!!
2013-06-05 9:07 PM

User image

I gotta have my tunes on a long run.  My wife and I don't share the same taste in music and she gets annoyed by what I listen to.  For me, there's nothing better than a long run and some new music to listen to while running.  I hear things in songs I don't hear while listening in my car or on my computer, and it goes a long way to learning how to play the song later. 

However, it doesn't bug me to race without music if I can't.  I try to chat up other runners though that rarely succeeds.

2013-06-05 9:15 PM

User image

Originally posted by glfprncs

Originally posted by fishwallop

I didn't even notice the date! It was at the top of page 2 of the forum, though. How could that be??!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably the "related threads" feature that's been added. Particularly annoying when you're looking at race reports...since you could be commenting on a race report from this year, and the related threads search brings up a whole bunch of race reports from 5 years ago. I almost congratulated someone who I thought did the same race as me last weekend...except they did it in 2008. It doesn't help that there are no longer dates on the race reports. The only reason I knew it was old was because of the post date of the replies.

2013-06-05 9:24 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Originally posted by EKH

You might find you like running without music. Running is my time it is almost like mediation for me. The last thing I want is music cluttering up my thoughts.

Same here. I actually never run with music.
I can focus on running itself, and also enjoy sightseeing.
2013-06-05 9:59 PM
in reply to: newtoness5

User image

Regular
Kansas
Agree with a lot of these - I wouldn't run if I didn't have music, but I did my first two triathlons last year - didn't miss it a bit. There is so much going on - you won't miss it and time will fly by.

Sometimes I'll even head out for a run and forget my music - it's not a bad thing. I definitely would rather run with, but if I forget - no big deal. Good luck!
2013-06-05 11:21 PM
in reply to: jayhawk_sean

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Almost all my training activities are with tunes. Don't miss it much on race day, if at all. There's just so much more to pay attention to in a race situation.

(I do take music to small 5Ks and such, but at a triathlon I don't care if it's allowed officially or not. Too big a pain to mess with.)

Where I really miss the tunes is when my battery turns up dead or the iPod is missing when I get to the pool. I hate doing my swim workouts without it.

2013-06-05 11:24 PM
in reply to: tcovert

User image

Calgary, AB
Originally posted by tcovert

EKH - 2011-07-17 6:26 AM You might find you like running without music. Running is my time it is almost like mediation for me. The last thing I want is music cluttering up my thoughts.

X2.  15 years of running, no music.

X3, but for me (unlike others) it was a tough transition.  For my first 4 months of training, I always had music.  When I ditched them for my first tri, I found the run quite difficult -- didn't have the distraction of music so I was too focused on how tired I was.   I'm certain I would have walked less if I'd had music.

That said -- after that race, I decided to ditch music for good.  A few runs later I was accustomed to it, and now I much prefer it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've never ran/run without music Rss Feed  

of 3