General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Convert Tri bike to Road bike??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-17 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Convert Tri bike to Road bike???

I know that one can convert a road bike to a triathlon bike...but is it also possible to convert a triathlon bike to a road bike?  I was just thinking that all you would really have to do is change out the handle bars from aeros to drop down road bike bars.  Then of course you would have to get different brakes/shifters.  But would it work still? 

If so, then why don't the pros do this?  I mean, don't TT/Triathlon bikes have more aerodynamic frames and cable routing etc.?  Any thoughts?

I apologize ahead of time for even thinking about doing such a thing

2011-07-17 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3600790

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Convert Tri bike to Road bike???
It is an interesting idea, but the top level guys aren't missing out on something here.  The proportions of the bike frames are different to accommodate the positions.  The handling of the bikes are also different.  Tri bikes are not as maneuverable, largely from front fork angles and geometry.
2011-07-17 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3600790

User image

Davenport, IA
Kermat89 - 2011-07-17 8:10 PM

I know that one can convert a road bike to a triathlon bike...but is it also possible to convert a triathlon bike to a road bike?  I was just thinking that all you would really have to do is change out the handle bars from aeros to drop down road bike bars.  Then of course you would have to get different brakes/shifters.  But would it work still? 

If so, then why don't the pros do this?  I mean, don't TT/Triathlon bikes have more aerodynamic frames and cable routing etc.?  Any thoughts?

Pro's pretty much do this.  But the bikes are purpose made aero-framed road bikes.

For example:

Cervelo S series

Scott Foil

Specialized Venge

There's a Ridley that fits that bill, and a Felt as well.

I know there are plenty more than that, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

2011-07-17 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3600867

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Sprint_DA - 2011-07-17 7:04 PM
Kermat89 - 2011-07-17 8:10 PM

Pro's pretty much do this.  But the bikes are purpose made aero-framed road bikes.

For example:

Cervelo S series

Scott Foil

Specialized Venge

There's a Ridley that fits that bill, and a Felt as well.

I know there are plenty more than that, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

+1

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Convert Tri bike to Road bike??? Rss Feed