General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the point of fancy wheels and tri bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-07-18 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3602231

User image

Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: What is the point of fancy wheels and tri bikes

andyaxa - 2011-07-18 3:14 PM My kids will heartily attest to the fact that I am an unabashed skinflint, so I was thinking there should maybe be a podium category for lowest total-gear-cost per minute. So let's say we have a sprint and I finish in 80 minutes and the overall winner takes it in 60 minutes. However, total cost of all my gear used in the race is $600 and his is $2000. Result: I crush him with my $7.50/minute to his $33.33/minute. That's how us cheapskates think.....

Yeah, this is a good summary of how I think

2011-07-18 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3602305

User image

Veteran
Monadnock
ctbrian - 2011-07-18 3:42 PM

andyaxa - 2011-07-18 3:14 PM My kids will heartily attest to the fact that I am an unabashed skinflint, so I was thinking there should maybe be a podium category for lowest total-gear-cost per minute. So let's say we have a sprint and I finish in 80 minutes and the overall winner takes it in 60 minutes. However, total cost of all my gear used in the race is $600 and his is $2000. Result: I crush him with my $7.50/minute to his $33.33/minute. That's how us cheapskates think.....

Yeah, this is a good summary of how I think

I have been told it is a disease, not even curable with vast amounts of spare cash.

2011-07-18 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3601924

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

For 99% of us here, this is a hobby, a recreational activity.  Something we derive pleasure from.  There is no economic equation that will tell you if race wheels are "worth" it.  What's it "worth" to make the podium in your AG, or to move from the BOP to MOP, or to improve your bike split by XX minutes?

It comes down individual choice and your level of disposable income.  How much can you  responsibly spend on your hobby while still paying the mortgage and feeding the kids? 

At the end of the day most of the hi-tech stuff is window dressing anyway.  Most of us are going to derive the greatest benefit on the bike by just riding more and by losing weight.

Mark

2011-07-18 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3602302

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
GaryRM - 2011-07-18 3:41 PM

Its pretty much the same as the person driving their $70,000 car to work and parks next to my 2005 Pick-up.  If you have the cash and want a nicer ride (or multiple rides) why not spend it?

'05? Lawdy. I just sold my '93 for an '88.

That said, if I could afford a full-custom ride, I'd have one in a minute.

Geaux Tigers.

Edited by bcart1991 2011-07-18 3:18 PM
2011-07-18 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3602302

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
GaryRM - 2011-07-18 2:41 PM

If you have the cash and want a nicer ride (or multiple rides) why not spend it?

My thoughts exactly.

What is the point of the gear?  Simple, it makes you faster. Now, the question of if all the gear is "worth it" is an entirely individual question.  For me it's worth it, as I have a custom tri bike, several sets of race wheels, power meter, etc...YMMV.

I go to work every single day to a miserable job in order to bring home a paycheck.  I sure as heck am going to spend my disposable income on things that I enjoy.  For me the enjoyment is seeing my finish times drop, not from seeing how fast I go for dollars spent. 

Unfortunately, there seem to be quite a few people around who:

a) feel they're superior because they have super expensive equipment
or
b) feel they're superior because they do better with less expensive equipment.

2011-07-18 4:02 PM

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario

What is the point of the gear? Simple, it makes you faster.

But this makes no sense: you're going faster, but so is everyone else that spends as much as you do. Moving from 40km/h to 45km/h doesn't matter if everyone else with an unlimited budget ALSO buys the same go-fast equipment. Placing-wise, you're exactly where you started. It's just an arms race. I get a huge rise out of improving my finishing time too, but I feel like if I went this winter and bought $4k of go-fast stuff (carbon wheels, frame, PM, bike fit, etc) it would simply invalidate my times from the previous year. If I went 2h 18m on my roadie this year for an oly and 2h 14m next year on my go-fast bike, I can't actually say I improved, I just spent enough to make myself a little faster.

Also, it is fun to pass people who are riding better bikes than me, and upgrading would remove a lot of that fun.

I will admit that one problem (as another poster pointed out) is that everybody's definition of "too much spending" is different. For me, it'd be around $1000, because that's about what my bike setup is worth. The other poster put forward $600.

I think it would be fun, but absolutely impossible to administrate.

I was going to say to have a single rule of "no carbon" and have volunteers just check in transition during the swim and run, but then you get into hairy questions of "what percentage of a component can be carbon? which components matter?". The best way would be to have a price list, but it'd have to be enormous to deal with the huge # of bike/year/wheel/equipment combos that can exist.

Alternate way: Have a claiming system. Anyone can buy anyone else's bike before transition re-opens post-race for $1000. If you didn't bring a cheater* bike, you don't have anything to worry about.  To avoid hurt feelings (and wallets), you can refuse to sell the allegedly-cheating* bike, but you get removed from the results.

*"Cheater" here refers to super-expensive bikes in a hypothetical world where rules have been made against them.  I understand that they are fully legit at most triathlons right now.  No offense intended against owners of good bikes, as I just re-read that I thought it might come off wrong.

Edited by AHare 2011-07-18 4:10 PM

2011-07-18 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3602491

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
AHare - 2011-07-18 4:02 PM

But this makes no sense: you're going faster, but so is everyone else that spends as much as you do. Moving from 40km/h to 45km/h doesn't matter if everyone else with an unlimited budget ALSO buys the same go-fast equipment. Placing-wise, you're exactly where you started. It's just an arms race. I get a huge rise out of improving my finishing time too, but I feel like if I went this winter and bought $4k of go-fast stuff (carbon wheels, frame, PM, bike fit, etc) it would simply invalidate my times from the previous year. If I went 2h 18m on my roadie this year for an oly and 2h 14m next year on my go-fast bike, I can't actually say I improved, I just spent enough to make myself a little faster.

Also, it is fun to pass people who are riding better bikes than me, and upgrading would remove a lot of that fun.

I will admit that one problem (as another poster pointed out) is that everybody's definition of "too much spending" is different. For me, it'd be around $1000, because that's about what my bike setup is worth. The other poster put forward $600.

There's more to it than just "spend $4k and get $4k worth of speed from it".  Spending money is not the same thing as spending money wisely.  I know a lot of folks who might buy expensive gear or get set up with something that doesn't make them faster.  Taking the time to do research and choose a fast combination of equipment is part of the sport.  We shouldn't start over regulating the equipment choices in order to create a supposed level playing field unless we want progress to come to a screeching halt. 

I enjoy placing in my AG and how I finish relative to others is important, but I also just enjoy going faster.  Seeing my splits increase is enjoyable, so for me, spending the money is worth it, even if the other guys I'm competing against are getting the same benefit. 

As far as enjoying passing people with better equipment, why not just find enjoyment in having better fitness than them? 

2011-07-18 4:21 PM

User image

Actually, when I said under $600, that's all my gear, including my Garmin 305, shoes, clothes, goggles, etc.  But I'm joking about the budget category, I'm just jealous of people who can afford more expensive equipment.  It's all about personal priorities - for some people $5000 of gear is no big shakes, just like spending $2000-3000 to hire coaches, pay entry fees, airfare, bike transport and hotels to do an Ironman.  For me, I feel fortunate to spend $300 a year on entry fees and a few more hundred to replace running shoes and clothing.  It's just a culture shock when you see people with bikes worth more than your car, or their kids racing against yours with bikes worth more than your car, but you do what you can with what you've got.  For me, triathlon equipment has to get in line behind mortgage payments, retirement savings, college savings, family vacations, etc, etc.  But some people would find it extravagant to race at all.
2011-07-18 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3602445

User image

Bronze member
AndrewMT - 2011-07-18 3:37 PM
GaryRM - 2011-07-18 2:41 PM

If you have the cash and want a nicer ride (or multiple rides) why not spend it?

My thoughts exactly.

What is the point of the gear?  Simple, it makes you faster. Now, the question of if all the gear is "worth it" is an entirely individual question.  For me it's worth it, as I have a custom tri bike, several sets of race wheels, power meter, etc...YMMV.

I go to work every single day to a miserable job in order to bring home a paycheck.  I sure as heck am going to spend my disposable income on things that I enjoy.  For me the enjoyment is seeing my finish times drop, not from seeing how fast I go for dollars spent. 

Unfortunately, there seem to be quite a few people around who:

a) feel they're superior because they have super expensive equipment
or
b) feel they're superior because they do better with less expensive equipment.

Agree with everything Andrew just said.

I have worked harder this year on my tri bike than I did the last 2 years on my road bike. Why? Because my tri bike is freaking fun to ride. I can't wait to hit the roads and see what I can do to make that thing go. Yes, I am faster this year. Is it from the bike or is it from hard work? In reality it is probably both. The "worth" for me is not even so much related to racing. I know there will always be someone with a better bike, better wheels, faster times.

It is a feeling, a satisfaction that the bike is no longer holding me back.

2011-07-18 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3602508

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario

As far as enjoying passing people with better equipment, why not just find enjoyment in having better fitness than them?

Fundamentally that is where the enjoyment is coming from, but if you pass someone on lesser equipment you can't be sure if it's your fitness level or your bike that is permitting you to get by them.  If I pass someone rocking the disc rear wheel, carbon frame, and deep front wheel, then I can be pretty sure that my fitness is better than theirs (or that I'm burning myself out and I'll be seeing them again on the run ).

Spending money is not the same thing as spending money wisely.  I know a lot of folks who might buy expensive gear or get set up with something that doesn't make them faster.  Taking the time to do research and choose a fast combination of equipment is part of the sport.

I can understand that - kind of an engineering/optimization challenge.  My personal thought is that it is (or could be, with equipment cost caps) a straight up fitness challenge, but I can respect the puzzling-together-the-best-possible-bike approach.  But as a guy that just wants a race, I wish I didn't have to invest a pile of money to be competitive with the guys at the top.  There are plenty of nice, cheap aluminum and/or steel things that could be tweaked and optimized.  If there was a cost cap of $1000 or so, that'd even be another constraint: "hmmm... I want this item, but it'd put me over budget".

2011-07-18 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3602491

User image

AHare - 2011-07-18 5:02 PM

But this makes no sense: you're going faster, but so is everyone else that spends as much as you do.

Who cares? I'm not in it to compare myself to anyone else. I'm in it to have fun, lose some weight and join in on a great sport.

If that's not the way you think then that's not the way you think. Simple.

2011-07-18 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3602540

User image

AHare - 2011-07-18 5:29 PM

if you pass someone on lesser equipment you can't be sure if it's your fitness level or your bike that is permitting you to get by them.  If I pass someone rocking the disc rear wheel, carbon frame, and deep front wheel, then I can be pretty sure that my fitness is better than theirs

I have never understood this. Who cares? You pass people, you get passed. They have better equipment, they have not quite as good equipment. What the heck difference does any of that make either way?

2011-07-18 4:34 PM

Master
, California

I was going to say to have a single rule of "no carbon"

shhh don't give the UCI any fresh ideas.

2011-07-18 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3602540

User image

AHare - 2011-07-18 5:29 PM

But as a guy that just wants a race, I wish I didn't have to invest a pile of money to be competitive with the guys at the top.  There are plenty of nice, cheap aluminum and/or steel things that could be tweaked and optimized.  If there was a cost cap of $1000 or so, that'd even be another constraint: "hmmm... I want this item, but it'd put me over budget".

Start your own race circuit. Have those as rules. If people agree, they'll sign up. If they don't, it won't take off.

Don't wait for someone else to do it for you, make it happen.

2011-07-18 4:46 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
This is silly.  If you want to beat the people on the fancy bikes train harder.  I don't care what you're riding if you're in front of me, and most are after the swim LOL, then I take great enjoyment out of passing you.  Don't let the equipment be an excuse.
2011-07-18 4:50 PM

User image

Master
Houston

For those that want the "straight fitness challenge" or "level playing field" setup your own circut and provide the bike.

Get Felt, or Giant, or... to sponsor it, and provide one style of bike in many sizes.

This might even become popular as traveling to a race without having to worry about getting the bike there might reduce some of the stress.

Any other level of $ cap or cheapest wins would only start a different type of arms race.  Who has the most time/skill to put together a bike from a junk pile.

2011-07-18 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3602552

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario
spudone - 2011-07-18 5:34 PM

shhh don't give the UCI any fresh ideas.

The claiming rule would be a blast too.  After each stage of the TdF they could air the bike auction, with bids starting at some amount.  You'd have teams get completely denuded of bikes each stage.  Dear UCI/ITU/USAT: Think of all the extra TV income you'd get from the post-race auction.  It'd be the Barret-Jackson of sweaty athletic equipment.  Please implement.

I have never understood this. Who cares? You pass people, you get passed. They have better equipment, they have not quite as good equipment. What the heck difference does any of that make either way?

Well, triathlons are supposed to be a race.  So if you pass someone who is clearly using better equipment, then it is a clue that you aren't doing too bad in the race.  Example: If I pass a Ferrari on a racetrack while driving a Yugo, then it is a hint that my driving skills are, at least, better than the Ferrari's.  If I'm consistently passing Ferraris in my Yugo, then it means that my overall race result may be quite satisfactory.  

It's not like I'm thinking "haha, I have defeated you, rich guy, take that", it's more "oh good, the fact I'm passing this better equipment means that I'm doing pretty good".  I fully admit that if I could justify it, I'd buy and race a nice bike in a heartbeat.  I'm not ideologically opposed to nice bikes, I just think it'd be good for the sport if the podium wasn't full of people with bikes more expensive than the cars they came there on/in.

As for the "starting a race series" idea, it's really not a bad one.  I wonder if you could piggy-back a "claimer class" onto an existing series to try it out, as Ontario is pretty saturated.  Also, I can think of a few holes: since you can't seriously do a "forced-sale", you'd probably just end up with two classes of racing: though who have spent lots on their bike, and those who haven't.  Since there is a strong correlation between strong athletes and those who have nice bikes, you wouldn't necessarily end up with top-end competition in the "cheap" class.

Edited by AHare 2011-07-18 4:57 PM
2011-07-18 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3602575

User image

AHare - 2011-07-18 5:51 PM

I fully admit that if I could justify it, I'd buy and race a nice bike in a heartbeat.  I'm not ideologically opposed to nice bikes, I just think it'd be good for the sport if the podium wasn't full of people with bikes more expensive than the cars they came there on/in.

That is almost universally the type of person who starts these "why get racing equipment if you're not going to podium" threads. Just because you cannot justify spending money on a hobby does not mean other people need to justify it to themselves nor does it mean they need handicapped just because you don't want to upgrade.

I'm willing to bet the slowest person on the TdF today would just about wipe the entire field if we all had Felt DAs and he was riding a beach cruiser.

If you're not placing and it's your dream to do so it's not the equipment holding you back. Bet on it.

2011-07-18 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region

This argument happens all the time whenever there is equipment involved in a race (the  more complex the equipment, the more arguments).  Happens in motorsports (is it the car or the driver - but the reality is that it is always the combination of both) and it will happen with triathlons/cycling.

Having said that, there are 'spec' classes in motorsports where they TRY to constrain expenses (even happens at the highest levels - Formula 1 went to a single tire supplier as well as MotoGP).  The reality is that people with more $ will try to buy speed.  However, with the right rules - speed gains are so small that it won't make sense to spend on it.  With cycling/triathlons, I personally think that the differences in the equipment are small enough and variability of human performance high enough that it's not as much as most people think.

I thought it was a big deal when I went from a road bike to a TT bike...but didn't gain much (less than 1mph) when I went to a TT bike with aero helmet and more aero wheels (both road and TT bikes were professionally Retul fitted).  Sure the extra 1mph helps, but I got much more improvement by being able to run faster (almost 1min/mile better than last year on 5Ks), and getting a bit faster on my swim (where I had and continue to have a lot more improvement potential). I did change shoes to a lighter pair than last year so that must be the reason for the speed improvement on the run (went from averaging about 7:45/mile to under 7:00/mile on my last couple of sprints).

2011-07-18 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3602579

User image

Master
Houston

DanielG - 2011-07-18 4:56 PM  That is almost universally the type of person who starts these "why get racing equipment if you're not going to podium" threads.

In fairness I suspect many many of us had/have simmilar thoughts when we first started.  The importance of equipment, the required and potential dollars and the overwhelming amount of bike  knowledge takes a period of adjustment.

I'd think the typical triathlete goes through stages of innocence, shock, grudging acceptance, full acceptance, and finally complete admiration of the system.

Some never make it past the shock stage.

2011-07-18 5:18 PM

Master
, California

I just think it'd be good for the sport if the podium wasn't full of people with bikes more expensive than the cars they came there on/in.

In my case that's more a statement about my car than my bike

On the other hand, I spend far more hours on my bike in a given month than I do in my car...

2011-07-18 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Monadnock

Sorry folks...when I mentioned the cost/time statement it was sort of tongue in cheek. I'm always trying to see how I can get the most bang for my buck for as little as possible...like I said, it's a bit of a disease. But that's all relative, as someone mentioned, my bang for the buck might not be another person's value.  I don't begrudge anyone spending their hard earned cash on cool, fast, sleek racing machines or whatever enhances their lives,  and I certainly don't feel like it is an uneven playing field that needs handicapping according to equipment. It is what it is and I enter knowingly.  I am somewhat competitive, however, so I do have a little more sense of achievement if I pass someone on a carbon missile. Odds are, they'll blow by me on the run anyway.

2011-07-18 6:00 PM

Veteran
Liberty Lake, WA
Another thread assessing the comparative value each rider places on equipment. Are BMW's and Mercedes worth buying? Some people think they are. These seems to be a misunderstanding on these threads that some people just have a ton of cash and $2,000-$3,000 on race wheels is a drop in the bucket. If money comes easy to people then why question what they purchase with it?
2011-07-18 6:01 PM

Veteran
Liberty Lake, WA
These types of threads could seriously be titled "what is the point of a 3 karat engagement ring when you can buy a smaller cheaper one" lol
2011-07-18 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan

I'm kind of in the middle of the road as far as this debate goes.  I was lucky enough that my dad gave me his old road bike from the 80s after fixing it up (though he'd kept it in great condition anyway over the years) once he saw my interest level in tris.  He was an avid cyclist back in his prime but primarily does mountain biking now when he rides so he had no more need for it.  So I've invested very little $$$ so far in my bike.  I still have the toe cages, though I made the move this year to start using some old school biking shoes (also given to me by my dad) that fit better with the cages and are more effective than running shoes.  I'm sure next year I'll probably switch over to clipless pedals and shoes.  I've gotten clip on aerobars this year.  I have racing tires.  So I've done a few things to try and buy some speed on the cheap and do enjoy getting faster whichever way I can.  However, I'm torn on whether (or when) to purchase a tri bike.  Part of me is seriously tempted.  The more prudent part of me figures that money is better spent on a vacation or work that may need to be done on the house.

It gnaws at me a bit that people that I am possibly faster than can beat me on the bike, but then again I probably pass some people on mountain bikes that may be stronger than me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the point of fancy wheels and tri bikes Rss Feed  

of 4