General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pinched Nerve? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-18 3:23 PM

Subject: Pinched Nerve?

On Saturday I completed my first century ride with no problems in terms of tiring out.  However, my shoulder was extremely stiff and felt a lot of pain.  Mostly sharp pain on the back of the shoulder where it meets the neck.  I finished the race and the next day this area was tight.  I went to a massage therapist to see if she could work it out and left with what appears to be nerve pain but I'm not sure how to address it or what it is. 

Everytime I turn my head left (my neck doesnt feel stiff at all) I feel a sharp pop that shoots down my back (straight down from the point where the back of your shoulder meets your neck (trapezius?).  It doesnt go down my spine, just straight down from the where the shoulder meets the neck.  And it isn't a POP...it feels like it, but I know it isn't a typical "pop like you would hear  when you crack a knuckle or somethign else.

2011-07-23 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3602404

Subject: RE: Pinched Nerve?

It is possible that you are getting nerve irritation as a result. Nerve involvement would be described as numbness/tingling/burning. If you are getting it mostly when turning/rotation your head to the side that hurts, it is most likely what is called a facet joint dysfunction or an inflamed facet joint capsule. 

Look up some physical therapy exercises/stretches for it. Also, rest and ice may help speed your recovery.

It's likely that the level of the dysfunction in the spine is at the cervicothoracic vertebral junction. Google image a picture of this, it will probably illustrate the location better than if I attempt to describe it. This is usually brought on from the position of leaning forward with an extended neck for a long period of time which is typical in cycling.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pinched Nerve? Rss Feed