General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used Wheelsets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-22 2:08 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: Used Wheelsets

I am looking for a back-up wheelset that I can use on the trainer (also as a backup to my regular wheels).  I have found a set on craigslist which are the same as I am running now at a price I am willing to pay.  What I am not sure of his how best to evaluate a used wheelset once I get a chance to see them.  Seller claims that they run true and have only been used for 1200 miles.

Any tips?

2011-07-22 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3610434

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: Used Wheelsets
Hook'em - 2011-07-21 3:08 PM

I am looking for a back-up wheelset that I can use on the trainer (also as a backup to my regular wheels).  I have found a set on craigslist which are the same as I am running now at a price I am willing to pay.  What I am not sure of his how best to evaluate a used wheelset once I get a chance to see them.  Seller claims that they run true and have only been used for 1200 miles.

Any tips?

1.  spin the axle in your fingers and listen carefully for any noise, and to feel if there's anything other than a "smooth" feeling as you rotate the axle.   Bearings should be OK if they feel/sound smooth.

2. Put them on a bike (or truing stand if he's got one!) and see if they really do spin true.

3. Check for loose spokes.

4. check for any obvious cracks in the rim.

That's really all you can do.

2011-07-22 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3610434

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Used Wheelsets

in addition to the above, and the obvious visual inspection,

plink each of the spokes.  they should all make a 'plink' sound when you hit them (lightly) that's pretty much the same pitch.  If a few in one area make a much higher (or lower) pitch, it's because they are much tighter (or looser), possibly due to overcoming a bend in the rim.

but really- I don't think it's a high risk. Given the number of people that upgrade their wheels, there are plenty of great training wheels out there slightly used and in good shape.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used Wheelsets Rss Feed