General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Simi Valley, CA! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-07 2:30 PM

Regular
Subject: Hello from Simi Valley, CA!
I guess I've lurked long enough and it's time to be part of the group! Howdy!!! I've got my first tri this Sunday(LA Triathlon). It's a sprint and, like any newbie, I'm a bit worried! Strike that...I'm a LOT worried! I come from a cycling background and rode around for years and did a couple of races here and there. So, a tri is something that's far from what I normally do. How did this idea come about? Have you got a minute? Well, pull up a seat and let's talk...

Back in the beginning of the year, I did like everyone else does..make a New Year's resolution! Bad idea, right? Well, I was determined to make this one stick so I put my money where my mouth was. At the time, I weighed 207 lbs for a guy that's 5'9". Not the most healthiest person, I know... After a couple of days a week in the gym and watching what I eat and how much I eat, I noticed right away that the pounds starting coming off. Fast forward several months and I'm proud to say that I'll be 170lbs by race day! Not bad but I didn't reach my goal. I was hoping to be at 165lbs. A few more days in the gym will take care of that, I'm sure. Anyways, I feel great and I've noticed huge strides in my training because of the weight loss.

On the topic of training, it's coming along ok but not that good. The cycling and running is fine. I'll finish those in a reasonable amount of time. However, but like other newbies, the swim is my biggest worry. I can swim the .4 miles.......but most of it is on my back! Is that ok? I'm thinking if I can just finish this segment, I'll be ok. What do you guys think? As someone once told me...DFL is better than DNF! Amen, brother! Amen!

So, if any of you members are out there doing this event, look out for me. I'll be on my back in the water...hopefully above the water. Take care and thanks for reading...

Edited by lap3 2005-09-07 2:32 PM

2005-09-07 10:29 PM
in reply to: #242216

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Hello from Simi Valley, CA!
Hi Danny and welcome.
That's quite a story. Congratulations on following through with the new years resolution and the weight loss, that puts you in a pretty select group of people. As to the swim, doing it on your back is fine. Whatever stroke works. It's ok to stop and float, or tread water, or even hang off a kayak for a while if you need to.

Check in the Who's Racing forum and in the Races database to see who else from BT will be there this weekend.

Have a great race Sunday. I'm looking forward to your race report come Monday. And the full quote is "DFL is better than DNF is better than DNS". The ones who start but can't finish still beat the ones who never show up.
2005-09-08 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Congrats on keeping the New Years Resolution. Good luck in your upcoming race. I'm with you...finish the swim and the rest will be fine. Welcome to BT!
2005-09-08 10:07 AM

Regular
Thanks, guys! Marmadaddy, that full quote makes sense and words to live by...for now. The race is a couple of days aways and I've already got jitters going on now. The tough part for me will be just to relax. Maybe once I hit the water, I'll be ok. Thanks again. If you've got any tips, let me know...
2005-09-11 11:23 PM
in reply to: #242667

User image

Expert
Portland,OR

Hi Danny,

Congrats on actually following through on your New Year's Res, that's way more than most people.  How did you like the race?  I actually feel like I did really well on the swim (usually a weak spot) but had some trouble on the bike (those long hills, especially bunker Hill by the Disney Center, just ate me up), and the run as busy as usual...slow and steady.  I wasn't able to reach my goal as far as time goes, but it gives me something to strive for next year.  Looking forward to reading your race report.
BTW- I live in Long Beach but work in Moorpark-Simi Valley area.  If you ever need a training partner, let me know.

2005-09-13 10:37 AM
in reply to: #244468

Regular
Hi Dave,
Thanks! I hope this weight loss isn't a temporary thing. I plan to keep it off! Wish me luck! I loved this race!!! To be honest with you, I didn't do one open water swim prior to the race. I based it off my experience of being a bodyboarder/surfer back in the day. So, I'm not afraid f the water. However, I did learn a lot, too. The swim was as expected. I don't have much or any endurance but my masters coach said my technique is good. I finished 2nd to last in my wave and I'm completely ok with that. My biggest thing was just to finish the swim and I did. I made up for it on the bike as I hammered as long as I could and finished in just under an hour. The run was just an event to soak it all in and savor the moment...and I did! I had goose bumps all over when the spectators and finished competitors were cheering for the rest of us. I did this in just under 30 minutes. BTW, that hill up Grand Avenue is nasty! That made my quads hurt really bad! To be honest with you, I'll probably only do 1 tri a year and it'll probably be this one. Why? These events are sooooo expensive! I did a crit the day before and that cost me $20. I can't afford to race in these 2-3 times a year. All in all, I finished in 2 1/2 hours and that's what I was aiming for. I had such a great time that I'm preparing for next year.

BTW, that's a far commute from LB to Moorpark! I hope you take Metrolink rather than driving.

I'm up for a training partner. Right now my quads and calves are killing me so I plan to take the rest of the week off then get back into training again. For the swim, I usually work out at the 24hour Fitness in Simi. The cycling and run is obviously around Simi. Some of the regional chapter of the Colavita Cycling team is planning a memorial ride for a cyclist that got struck by a car. This is supposed to be this Saturday. If you're interested, let me know...

Thanks for reading,
Danny

2005-09-13 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California

I am also from Simi.

We are starting to get quite a little group here.  We need to get a training group started.

How was LA Tri? I did Pacific Grove (In-laws live there)

Jason

2005-09-13 6:00 PM
in reply to: #246112

Regular
I thought it was terrific. But, then again, I have nothing to compare it against. However, I did write a letter to the organizers of the event letting them know that I was very pleased with the way it was organized. From a logistics standpoint, the registration and even the volunteers were very helpful and knowledgeable. This helped ease my first-time jitters. This is all based upon my experience. So, others may disagree.

But, yeah, I'm all up for a training group. I'm sure I can learn a lot from seasoned veterans. If anything, let's get together for a ride...
2005-09-13 10:52 PM
in reply to: #245838

User image

Expert
Portland,OR

Yah tat commute really sucks but oh well.  I'm a paramedic up here so I work 24hr shifts, Metrolink doesn't really work for that.

Good job on the tri.  Bunker Hill, the last one before the Disney Center, just about killed me.  But it was fun going down Grand at 40 mph!!  Some of the other long hills tired me out too.  For some reason the bike was a little harder for me this time, it usually isn't like that.  It probably didn't help that I worked 112 hours the week before!

I will start working in Moorpark more consistently soon and I'll be hitting the gym at Simi on my way home at approx 730am.  I've also heard of some roads to train on around there and some trails for mountain bikes for something different.  I might have a few people here getting into it too!  We'll have to exchange info and try to meet up for a training ride.

2005-09-14 9:59 AM
in reply to: #246467

Regular
Definitely we should exchange contact info. The more, the merrier! During the off-season, we've got a great training ride that starts in Chatsworth and swings by Simi into the Santa Monica mountains. Many pro cycling riders have been known to frequent this ride. It's a brisk pace at first but picks up as the season rolls around. It's a lot of fun and an extremely good workout. Here's a link to it: http://socalcycling.com/Group%20Rides/frGroupRides.htm(scroll down to Simi Ride). On average, it will usually have about 80-100 riders but sometimes more...
2005-09-14 2:50 PM
in reply to: #246625

User image

Expert
Portland,OR
That looks awesome!  I'm going to have to keep it in mind for Nov.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Simi Valley, CA! Rss Feed