General Discussion Race Reports! » Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pine Mountain, Georgia
United States
Dave Johnson Enterprise
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 30s
Overall Rank = 138/294
Age Group = 35 to 39
Age Group Rank = 26/46
Pre-race routine:

Not a routine as this is just the second race (and I overslept for the first), but got up at 6:00 am ... ate an egg with buttered raisen toast + glass of milk. Went to transition area, set out gear and then walked to water + eyed it warily.
Event warmup:

Swam 50-75 yards, peed in the water - along with everyone else ... the already warm water temp must have warmed 2-3 degrees in the first 5 minutes.
Swim
  • 18m 28s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Boy, do I suck at swimming - but exocised the swim demons and remained calm throughout the leg ... even with the navigational problems.

Siting is an issue ... bet that I swam an additional 100-200 yards due to being off course.
What would you do differently?:

Work on siting more, which will enable the establishment of a rhythym. Also need to work on breathing every other stroke.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I did not hustle through the transition area ... instead I was deliberate in my efforts to relax and catch my breath in anticipation of the bike ride.

Seeded myself to the back and outside of the pack to avoid being thrashed and to enable me to race my own race.

Worry about catching breath while on the ride and not in the transition area.
Bike
  • 58m 56s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 18.98 mile/hr
Comments:

For me, the 19 mph was a blazing pace ... legs felt tired at the end, but all-in-all was invigorated by completing the segment in relatively good time.

Passed more than being passed, which doesn't suck.

Push harder throughout ... waited a couple times for a friend, who then did not hesitate to pass me on the run as I had to retie my shoes.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I kept hearing rumors about a guy who cut his toe off by getting them caught in his spokes ... decided to wait to take my shoes off at the transition area.

Took the time to put on my MP3 player - good call.

Double knot shoe strings/go to Yanks ... had to stop to retie shoes which cost me at least a minute or two.

Could have been more efficient/faster - and not straggle behind to talk to the cute girl who did my body marking.
Run
  • 41m 6s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Wish that there were mile markers so that I would have known to pick-up the pace prior to the 1/4 mile mark.

Ended up sprinting the last 1/8th or so of the race.

Run faster/smarter ... seriously. Without the T2 time factored in or the retying of the shoes, I believe that I could gone down to ~7:30/mile - which is absolutely blazing for me!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my little girl who ran up to me at the finish line to say before the crowd: "Daddy, what took you so long!"

While I wanted to sit, I kept walking/pacing around while eating fruit and drinking water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming remains my weakest link - stroke rhythym and efficiency is hurting ... add on lack of navigation (severe curve to the right) and you have a dismal performance.

Working on stroke in practice swims now + need to incorporate some open water practice sessions.

Event comments:

While it is only my second triathlon, there was no Expo afterwards ... no vendors hawking wares, no band, nothing to bide your time while awaiting the other racers to finish and race results announced.

The registration packet lacked stuff other than information about other DJE races.

Last updated: 2005-09-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:28 | 1094 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/46
Overall: 0/294
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:58:56 | 18.64 miles | 18.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/46
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Double loop with slight rolling "hills" through the scenic Callaway Gardens ... overall, a very good course with little traffic problems. Doubling back through the crowd was enough to get me out of my seat to grind it up the hill through the transition/finish area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:41:06 | 04.97 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/46
Performance: Good
Hmmm ... friends Garmin Forerunner had our pace at 7:52/mi, the race clock had the pace at 10:17 and the Autocalc above has it at 8:26 ... I suspect that the lackluster T2 time has something to do with the discrepancy.
Course: Run course was an out and back on a bike trail through the woods and then around the lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-07 6:22 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Triathlon
As mentioned before, this was a FANTASTIC race ... the course was beautiful (and shaded), well laid out and the event well organized.

This was my second race and I was proud to finish it much less alone in the middle of the pack. Plus, when finishing the swim - none too fast mind you - I felt like I could have done an additional leg or two.

There were some guys who suffered from the 'swim demons' during the second leg of the race ... tried to tell them that I went through it the last race and to lightly tread water/lay on their backs until they caught their breath, but am unsure whether they finished.

I did not see it, but my wife said that one guy bonked out some 10-15 feet from the finish line ... his legs crumbled below him. The paramedics ran up + swarmed him before someone rightly yelled from the crowd to let him finish - and, by gum, the guy crawled the next 10' to the finish line . He was carted into the ambulance to applause.

While I am sure that the whole bonking scenario was not high on that guy's list, the race was well done and one I plan on doing again next year.

Edited by huengsolo 2005-09-07 6:32 PM

2005-09-08 7:22 AM
in reply to: #242331

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: RE: Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Triathlon

Congrats on a great finish.  This race looks like one to consider on next year's calendar.

2005-09-08 2:29 PM
in reply to: #242534

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Triathlon
Saw that you are going to do Tugaloo this coming weekend - good luck! Perhaps you'll pick up some additional hardware ...

I am looking at doing the Hiawassee Oktoberfest and the Hickory Knob (in SC just north of Augusta) races. If you or the other Georgia peeps do 'em, let me know!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Triathlon Rss Feed