Tradewinds
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group = Cat 4/5 M18-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Was still adjusting to Hawaii time after coming back from Atlanta yesterday. Didn't get much sleep, but felt okay. Ate a cliff bar and drank some gatorade.
Event warmup:

Rode up and down the finishing stretch a few times.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 56 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I was worried about the start as we start with the downhill descent which can get up to 45-50 mph if you want, but since we were in the 4 lap race, nobody felt the need to be aggressive so early. So the descent was very controlled and safe while the pack was still together. Our race was a mix of all the Cat 1-3 riders as well as the Cat 4/5's that were M18-34...which was me. So naturally, the field would split on the first climb anyway.

As we started the first climb, the tempo picked up. My goal was to just try to hang on to the riders in my division. There were a few surges which I matched, and had to go around a few riders who were getting gapped. Then the first group really dropped the hammer on one of the flatter spots and I couldn't respond. No worries though...most of the others in my division were dropping off too, so this was where our group would re-form.

So just as we start to reorganize, POP...rear blowout. I yell out a few choice explitaves and realize my race is basically done and I'm now on a training ride. So I take my time checking the tire and changing the tube. Nothing unusual...but I should have known that with such a huge blowout that something was wrong.

I cracked my C02 in the chuck and all the air leaks out. It was my first time using that inflator, so now I have no air. I had to wait for the 3 lap race which started 10 minutes behind us to pass by and get assistance from thier sag wagon. Used their pump, and figured at this time I'm 15-20 minutes behind my race, so I would just catch up to my teammates in the 3 lap race and work with them, and just not do the 4th lap.

So I get back on my bike, and I'm starting to bridge the gap to the 3 lap lead pack when 2 miles later...POP. Same flat, same area, and I've got no clue why. I know it wasn't a pinch, and I can't see any glass. I figure it's the rim, or the rim tape, so I don't even bother trying to change it again. That and I don't have any C02, tubes, or patch kits even if I wanted to.

A teammate of mine that got dropped way back stopped to help, but I told him not to bother and just have someone come back for me to pick me up. Got a ride from my mechanic who was spectating and he looked at the tubes, wheel, rim tape, etc and could not find the cause. He said the hole in the tube looked like a loose spoke might have come through the rim tape and punctured the tube, but saw no actual evidence of that happening.

Overall, this was just a for fun race...so I wasn't too dissapointed about the DNF. I was more upset that I didn't get in the workout and I still have no idea why I blew out twice...and if I don't find out why then I'll blow out again...possibly in another race that is more important.

After getting back to the start/finish, I helped out with bottle feeds and watched the finish. The overall winner was a guy that just moved back down here after racing (and winning) on the Stanford team in California. He's insanely strong and is the new alpha dog in town. He was on a solo break the last 20 miles or so and won easily...like he was just on a weekend training ride.
What would you do differently?:

Not flat. Not sure what happend. I used the same wheel, tire, tube, and rim tape for my HIM 7 weeks ago with no problem. Luckily it's the rear wheel, and I'll be using my PT training wheel with a disc cover for my tri race next weekend while I figure it out.
Post race

Last updated: 2011-06-15 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 56 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 4 laps of Pineapple hill. Roughly 14 miles per lap with over 1000 feet of climbing each lap
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge