General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Metric Century advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-29 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: Metric Century advice
I'm doing my first metric century tomorrow. Roan Moan in NC. Any advice on doing a metric century with lots of climbing? Other than train, for which it's too late to do any more of!

My biggest question is when to arrive on site. The ride site itself has very little information. I think it's a small ride. The full century starts at 7am. The metric starts at 9am. Registration starts at 6am. I'm already registered, so I don't need to do that. Can I arrive at 8am? Is that bad ettiquette? I don't want to start off on the wrong pedal with the roadie crowd :-)

Do I have to bring all my nutrition and some money for water stops? Should I bring my garmin navigator in case I get dropped and lost? I have no idea what kind of support is on the ride. I hope I can stay with a group, but I don't know. I'm not the best climber, so I feel I need a backup plan.

Any other advice for the triathlete wannabe roadie? Thanks!

2011-07-30 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3621281

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Metric Century advice

If you already have a packet, you should be able to show up at 8.

Generally these events have free aid stations every 10-15 miles.  The stations usually have water, Gator Ade, cookies, bananas.

In your packet there will be a map.  Teh website has a cue sheet.  Go ahead and print it and bring it with you.

Think of these events as being similar to a 5k running event.  Those get fast runners to walkers.  You'll have the cycling equivalent.  Remember to have fun!

2011-08-09 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3621281

Master
Memphis, TN
Subject: RE: Metric Century advice
The cue sheets aren't always printed out and ready at the check in station.  I made that mistake on my last ride and had no idea where I was going since the course wasn't marked very well.  You can probably get there about 8AM to set up your bike, check in, stretch, etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Metric Century advice Rss Feed