General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stability shoes = knee pain??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-02 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
Subject: stability shoes = knee pain???

So I'm a little over 3 weeks into my 1st tri training plan. I have ran for several years for exercise and participated in a few 5k's, but never ran as far and as often as I currently am...so before starting my plan, I went to a dedicated running store and the guy there watched as I walked around the store and asked if ever had shin splints or knee pain...to which I replied, occasional shin splints but no significant knee pain (at that time I was only running 4- 6 miles per week). So he says it appears by the way you walk that you need a stability shoe...ok, you're the expert...so he brings out a pair of Mizuno stability shoes that felt good and I bought 'em and have been running in ever since.

A couple weeks after that visit to the store, I began to research the footstrike patterns and which shoes are recommended for which patterns. To my bewilderment, after paying attention to my gait, it seems that my heel strikes first and as my foot rolls it does so on the outside of my foot...so according to this: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html it seems that I am an underpronator and I'm also a heelstriker. It seems this gait pattern would be best suited for a neutral/cushion shoe.?. It seems the opposite gait pattern is recommended for stability shoes. So now I'm not sure if the guy put me in the right shoes.

Lately after my long runs...I have some mild knee pain...could this be from wearing stability shoes? Am I over thinking this? The shoes feel good during the run...they feel good on my feet. Could the mild knee pain simply be from building my run base and my knees are just taking a pounding from the pavement, much like everyone's do during training?

I've now spent over $300 in 3 pair of shoes...road running, trail running, and some crosstrainers that all have stability in them. Anybody got any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?

2011-08-02 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3625402

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: stability shoes = knee pain???
If you're already an underpronator, and you add stability shoes, it can trigger some ITB issues, but usually not kneecap tracking issues.
2011-08-02 11:03 AM

User image

???????I worked at shoe store for a long time and if you are running and you supinate or run on the outside of your feet then you need a neutral shoe without stability. If they watched you walk at the store and observed you walking and saw you pronating then I would say they put you in the proper shoe. If you have just mild knee pain then I would guess you just need to build up mileage so that you don’t have any pain. I would recommend icing you knees after a run and you should be good to go. Remember don’t push to hard to soon because this will cause injury.

2011-08-02 11:05 AM

Master
Houston, TX

several things could be happening.  2 things changed at the same time it sounds like.  1) you started running longer distances  2) you got new shoes.  it's probably tied to one of those.  drop back a couple of weeks on your training plan and see if the lower distance helps, if you haven't just flat out injured.  In the past I have taken a week off to let the pain subside and that helped, but I caught it early.  another possibility is to change the shoes.  I am a neutral runner, I recently purchased a pair of mizuno waverunners and my knees and shins went ape bonkers.  I finally called it quits on the shoes and bought some nike air pegasus and everything got fixed.  My thinking is that the waverunners were not designed to carry my weight.  Take all that for what it's worth.  I might also go to a different running store and get a second opinion.

If you are running on pavement that will eventually tear up your knees.  get off the concrete.  jsut my 2 cents.

2011-08-02 11:08 AM

User image

Runner
So you were running, albeit it barely, in some shoes, and you are suddenly trying something completely different solely on the word of some random salesperson? Why does your personal experience somehow count less than the few minutes of visual analysis conducted by a third party?

I would put even less stock in a magazine article, particularly one from RW. Shoe makers have different names for the same basic functionality, so it's difficult to tell what a "stability" shoe really is half the time.

As to the running... Hard to tell really as your logs are not very far back, but you state that you have never run as far or as often as you currently are now. If this is the case, and your logs reflect when this change started, then I would ask what your effort level is during all of these runs. I'm willing to bet that you've maintained the same effort level, and that effort level is too high for your new frequency and volume. The first thing I would do is back off on the effort level; you want to make sure that you're finishing each run feeling like you could around and do the exact same run at the exact same effort with no problem.

I personally do not believe that it is somehow a requirement to take a pounding from the pavement. This pounding is probably more of a sign that your form is not as good as it could be, and that you're most likely overstriding. Don't worry, it happens to a lot of people when they are starting out or who have been low-mileage runners. During your runs, focus on the sounds of your feet; you want to hear soft thuds. Anything else is a sign that you need to work on things. If you hear something other than that soft thud, focus on your legs, getting them to turn over nice and smooth, and to place your foot down in a softer pattern. It may feel weird, you may slow down your pace, but learning how to run in a quieter fashion will reduce that pounding.

As to the last bit... Yeah, I got nothing.
2011-08-02 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3625421

User image

Runner
jgaither - 2011-08-02 12:05 PM

If you are running on pavement that will eventually tear up your knees.  get off the concrete.  jsut my 2 cents.

You make this statement like it's a fact....

2011-08-02 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3625430

Master
Houston, TX
Scout7 - 2011-08-02 11:09 AM
jgaither - 2011-08-02 12:05 PM

You make this statement like it's a fact....

you would be correct if I hadn't put in "jsut my 2 cents".  That should signal it's my opinion.

2011-08-02 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
the Sipp

Thanks guys,

I have been icing my knees after long runs...it seems to help alot and I think it's a good idea anyway.

I just think the guy at the store may have "read my gait" wrong, but what do I know...he's supposed to be the "expert". Everybody and everything I've read says let 'em analyze your gait and get what they tell you...so that's what I did....little did I know that it seems incorrect now.

I do agree the asphalt is not going to make for a great running surface but it has been convenient.

Scout's correct as well..."I'm willing to bet that you've maintained the same effort level, and that effort level is too high for your new frequency and volume. The first thing I would do is back off on the effort level; you want to make sure that you're finishing each run feeling like you could around and do the exact same run at the exact same effort with no problem." ...is something that I try to do for the mostpart but it seems that it puts me running at like a 11 or 12 minute pace when I do...I feel like it's a snail's pace.

2011-08-02 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3625475

User image

Runner
I see the advice to let the sales person do his/her thing, but I honestly just don't buy into that. In the end, that person isn't you, and doesn't have all the experience that you do with your body. Take what they say and apply it within the framework of your current knowledge and experience.

It may feel like a snail's pace, but it's going to be a much better way to develop your running and allow you to continue to do so for years to come. Focus on effort and the sounds of your feet, and you're going to be fine.
2011-08-02 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
Alright...thanks again for all the input guys. I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.
2011-08-02 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran

My two cents, if you don't have the right shoes you will definitely feel it as you start getting into the longer distances.  My data point is me.

Head to roadrunnersports.com and click on the ShoeDog - they ask you about six questions, one of which is the type support you need.  I pronate, from the sounds of it you suppurate - no worries, it will point out a selection of shoes they offer that will help with it.

For me, I will run my shorter distances (~8 miles or less in my Zoots Ultra Kanes) but anything longer and I will run in my Brook Beasts.  Love the lightness of my Zoots, but I will pay for it if I try to run the longer distances with them. 

Give it a whirl for some options on shoes.

2011-08-02 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3625520

User image

Veteran
Oh, look at your running shoes you have been wearing.  You can see where the wear is happening - if on the outside of the shoe for each foot, then you know you rolling out...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stability shoes = knee pain??? Rss Feed