General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheels wheels wheels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-04 11:21 AM

User image

St Tammany Parish
Subject: Wheels wheels wheels

Kind of a long post:

I was seriously considering going with a set of the Planet X 82/101s for race wheels.  Been doing a lot of thinking about it and have decided that I do not want tubulars even as a race wheel.  Been riding clinchers forever and know what I am doing with those. 

That being said I picked up a used P2C a couple of months back that was a custom build.  Absolutely love the bike but it came with some Easton/Velomax tubular wheels with Continental Sprinters.  These are just training wheels nothing special.  They roll nice but I am just not comfortable using the tubies as everyday tires.  Been carrying some Pitt Stop in case of a flat but just find myself constantly nervous while riding worried about the what if flat.  Not to mention the flat replacement cost of $50+ instead of $5.

So I just made the decision to change over to a basic clincher wheel as my everyday trainers.  Found a pretty good deal on a new set of Mavic Aksiums and Continental GP4000s tires.  From my research I think the Aksiums will serve me well.  General consensus seems to be that they are pretty robust with a descent hub.  Went with the Continental GP4000s tires because they sounded like a fairly descent compromise of ride/wear/low rolling resistance and puncture resistance.  Also went with them because I will probably also be racing on them (at least the rear) since I am thinking of the following now for a race day setup.

I bought the bike planning on buying a set of race wheels as well.  I'm just a top 1/4-1/3 age group finisher but like to have nice gear. I don't need or want the best/newest/fastest just want quality gear and a nice setup.  All of that being said I am now thinking of getting a wheel cover for my rear Aksium and then getting a dedicated front race wheel of some sort.  Has to be a clincher and have decided I want to stay with something with an aluminum braking surface for ease of use.

Looking at an S80 front or maybe a Hed 3.  Been scouring sites for used deals but just don't see much deals.  Hed 3s seem to go crazy high on the used market considering I can buy a new one for $650 used and unkown history at $400 ish seems maybe a bit foolish.  The front S80 can be had for $500 new not seeing these used.  Price for S80 and wheel cover setup at $650 total including a tire is appealing.

Any other suggestions for a race setup?  Thoughts on my considerations?  Am I right in thinking a wheel cover on the Aksium and either of these two wheels for the front is going to be a good fairly fast (faster than just racing with the Mavics), pretty good bang for the buck race setup?  Courses in my area are flat.  Just have two more long sprints planned for this year but next year planning on an Oly and late season HIM.

Going to be selling the Easton Tubulars if anyone is interested make me an offer as I don't have much idea as to what they are worth. I don't have the room to store them and would rather see them used by someone.

Edited by WyattEarp 2011-08-04 11:48 AM

2011-08-04 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3628930

Subject: RE: Wheels wheels wheels

Performance puts the S80 at 20% off every so often, which is a great buy.  If you can get a brand new Hed 3 for $650, that's a pretty good deal too. 

2011-08-12 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3628930

User image

St Tammany Parish
Ended up pulling the trigger on a set of S80s.  Found a deal (25% off) and couldnt resist.
2011-08-12 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3640528

User image

Pro

I just bought wheels from Boyd's Cycling. He build them up himself and uses quality parts. He also has a very good reputation and a lot of happy customers based on posts on here and elsewhere.

I also like dealing with a mom-and-pop shop. I've probably exchanged a dozen emails with him and his wife already, everything from wheel selection to Boyd's experience doing the Philly International Bike race (I'm in Philly).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheels wheels wheels Rss Feed