Lake Worth Chamber of Commerce
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 12s
Overall Rank = 9/86
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

Caffeine and a Snicker's Marathon Bar on the way up.

Lots of bad things happening. It was dark as we were getting the bikes out of the van and I couldn't find where I had left the car keys. We spent about 15 minutes looking for them. WHAT A NIGHTMARE! Couldn't see the ocean in the dark, but from transition area you could hear the waves crashing.
Event warmup:

Not the greatest warmup. Spent so much time looking for the darn keys that I didn't get as much time as I would've liked, but I got some jogging/running in.

Then went in the ocean for a warmup. That's when things REALLY hit the fan. With Hurricane Ophelia churning up north all week, the ocean has been rough all week. There was coral rock all the way down the beach (of course, it was about 3 feet into the surf, so you couldn't see it from land) and while warming up a big wave hit me (I was THIS close to shore) while standing on top of a smooth piece of coral carefully walking to shore. My right foot slipped into a hole and my sole got cut in a few places by the jagged side of the rock. YOWCH! Did I still do the race??? OF COURSE I DID! I ALREADY PAID MY ENTRY FEE, DIDN'T I???
Swim
  • 09m 21s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

VERY high waves. We were getting tossed around a lot on the way out, diving under wave after wave, with everybody getting knocked into each other. Rounding the first buoy was nightmare, as the buoy itself was bouncing around too. The first part after the turn wasn't too bad, just a few big waves but halfway down we were pounded by more high waves. I was doing more breaststroking and underwater swimming just to avoid getting hit than I did doing freestyle. I didn't even see the last buoy until I was past it. Coming in to shore wasn't too bad, but I was so afraid of cutting my foot again I didn't even stand up until my belly hit the beach and I was on sand again!
What would you do differently?:

I was VERY happy with how I handled it. It was so rough I don't think I could've done better. It was more of a survival than a speed thing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Running barefoot thru transition was hard. I could feel the cuts on my foot.

NOT get my foot cut up in the first place!
Bike
  • 36m 6s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 20.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I usually have my bike computer set on "cadence", but I'm wondering if during a race I might be better off putting it on "speed" so I know how fast I'm going. I was working hard the whole time, but maybe seeing the "fruits of my labor" as I'm racing would be better.

Try next race with computer set on "speed" instead of "cadence".
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Didn't go particularly fast in transition. Wasn't looking forward to the run with the cuts on the foot (I know...I'm a big baby!)
T2 and run splits based on my watch.

My chip didn't beep coming out of T2 so I have a 0 T2 time officially and a higher run split in official results.

Realize that the run is coming up no matter HOW casually I take the transition, so I'd better just suck it up and go faster anyway.
Run
  • 22m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

MAN that bridge is a big hill! I actually did okay for a while, but after about 2 miles I started to feel a real burning in my foot. Then when going up the bridge, the movement of my foot in the shoe sort of "scratched the itch", so to speak and it felt better. Then I went down the other side of the bridge and it REALLY starting burning. That helped me go faster because I just COULDN'T wait to get it over with! Maybe 1/2 mile or so after that and I was done (thankfully!)

Don't know my real rank for that split since my run/T2 times are combined in the official results.

Again, not cut my foot int he first place!
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the paramedics truck to have them clean and bandage my foot. MAN, that peroxide hurt!

Original plan was to do a nice easy jog of the run course again, but that got nixed in a hurry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

MY FOOT, DUHHH!

Event comments:

5 minutes faster than last year's time, 18 minutes faster than the year before's time. Loving that part of it!

Last updated: 2005-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:21 | 440 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 28/86
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Out ~100 meters or so to the first buoy, turn right and follow to the final buoy and back into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:45
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:06 | 12.5 miles | 20.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 13/86
Supposed to be a 11 mile course, but my computer said 12.5. Anyone I asked also said it was > 12 miles.
Wind: Little
Course: Over the Lake Worth bridge, then two loops up and down Federal Hwy (4 U-turns...UGH), back over the bridge and into transition again.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:19 | 03.11 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/86
Course: Over the Lake Worth Bridge, thru the local park there, and back again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-11 3:04 PM

, Alabama
Subject: Tropical Triathlon

2005-09-11 3:21 PM
in reply to: #244139

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Tropical Triathlon

Can I say it yet again??  YOU ROCK MAMA!!   How many freaking obstacles does it take to slow you down??  Apparently it just makes you FASTER!!  Congratulations on a freaking monster  time AND winning AG!!  Did you get a toaster this time??

2005-09-11 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
too funny...how canyou make a 42 second transition any better?  I cut my foot in my very first tri   Blistering run there..and of course you won as usual...Hope you had fun lost keys and all...
2005-09-11 4:10 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Awesome Race!!

You are speedy and very wise during the swim.

Congrats your 1st place finish and how much you have improved over 3 years!! You Rock!

I bought wetsuit botties made for Triathletes that I use in cold water Tris...but use them as well on rocky/seashell tris in the ocean. My next Tri I'll be wearing them and everyone asks me were I bought them...promotion booties best $19 I spent. I could sell 50 pairs of them at each tri...and they didn't slow down my transtion much.

2005-09-11 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Holy cow you are SOOO speedy!

I don't know if I'd have been brave enough to hit the ocean with Ophelia waves...Yikes!

Way to tough out the cuts on the foot!

2005-09-12 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

You are one fast li'l lady.  The cuts on your feet reminded me of when I was in High School, my friends and I would camp out on the shoals in St. John's Pass, near Clearwater Beach.  One of those times, my Hobie Cat got stuck on an oyster bed and all I had was my bathing suit, no shoes.  I was forced to get out and shove the boat off of the oysters, shredding my feet in the process.

The only antiseptic we had around was Jack Daniels.  I poured a few shots down my throat, put a few more in the bottom of the cooler and sank my feet into it.  Boy, oh boy, did that ever burn.

Congrats on a great race.

2005-09-12 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Great job Sharon!  You are awesome!
2005-09-12 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
What a trooper!! I am proud of you. If it was my foot I would have gone back to the van and took a nap while you raced.
2005-09-12 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
Awesome race. Those waves were wild. I know what you were up against and you kicked @$$.

Hopefully the next swim will be a little more forgiving.
2005-09-12 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Congrats on another improved time.  You sure have knocked off a lot of time.  Sounds like it would have been even more without the brutal swim too.  Congrats on that podium spot!  Bloody foot and all. 
2005-09-12 1:55 PM

, Alabama

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.  I do have to confess, though.  The preliminary results put me at #1 in my AG, but that was because the official timers included 3 places for overall masters.  However, the race itself didn't have a master's category and since 2 of the masters winners were in my AG, I was bumped down to 3rd.  (Everything else is true, though).

Sharon

2005-09-12 2:56 PM
in reply to: #245055

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Especially the part about the keys!! Didn't help my warm up either.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tropical Triathlon Rss Feed