Roger Shirt
17C / 63F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to bed early. Woke up at 6:30 so I could get some coffee in and a pb and jam. Had a small glass of OJ. Drank 500ml water on the way.

It was cold waiting for the race to start. Met up with some neighbours and friends. Nice atmosphere.
Run
  • 1h 48m
  • 15 kms
  • 07m 12s  min/km
Comments:

I actually waited a few times for someone who was about the same pace as me. I was faster on the downhills and tech and she was faster at the uphills. I was disappointed when at the last hill she passed me and I couldn't catch up. I felt good overall and feel that I should have pushed a little more in the first half. It's hard to make up time on the uphill at the end. Finished with a sprint. Did better then my first orientation time by 5 min and actually ran more distance then the orientation. Overall, a significant improvement.
What would you do differently?:

Learned a valuable lesson. It's fun to train with someone but on race day you need to focus on yourself and not worry about everybody else (unless hurt of course). Everyone has a different pace and strengths and weaknesses.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt a little queasy so even though there were great refreshments I couldn't really enjoy them. Hung out with neighbours and friends which was really nice. Love doing local events.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Waiting for someone. Not having any legs for the hills. Also got some good blisters on both feet.

Event comments:

Overall it was a very interesting course with lots of variety. The organizer is very nice and encouraging. I won a great draw prize, $75 in Sushi gift certificate. YUM. I think that's the best prize ever. The medals were chocolate. I think that this race has a great potential to grow even larger. The combo of having a 15 and 6 km offering is great. The scenery is wonderful and I would encourage others to check it out and the rest of Squamish.

Last updated: 2005-07-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:00 | 15 kms | 07m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Course starts off on well worn trails around Alice Lake Provincial Park. A few steep sections early on. The 6km version loops back to the start while the 15km branches off and enters singletrack moutain bike trails. Some are quite steep. Lots of roots and branches to keep you on your toes. The trail then does some fun, curvy singletrack with few obstacles and spits you out at the end of a residential street (Perth). You quickly reenter the trail and make a loop around "the rock". Being a slabclimber is helpful for this bit. Then it's Jack's Trail all the way back to the lake, a very gradual uphill. Once you get out at the lake there's the last sprint to the other end and done.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-11 3:08 PM

User image

Regular
Squamish,BC
Subject: Loop the Lakes

2005-09-11 4:22 PM
in reply to: #244141

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Loop the Lakes

Sounds fun and a great race!!

Cool prizes and tastey!!

2005-09-12 6:53 PM
in reply to: #244141

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Loop the Lakes
Good work!
Maybe next year I will try and do that, it sounds like alot of fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Loop the Lakes Rss Feed