General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't believe I'm asking a question about cramping... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-08 9:45 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: Can't believe I'm asking a question about cramping...

First and foremost, I know that cramping during a workout is almost always attributed to fitness level.  And I can only remember one time when this has happened to me.  As a person with EIA my lungs are far more likely to give out before my legs.  However, I'm not a fast runner but since I've only really been running for under 2 years I know that it will take time for me to see the kinds of paces I dream of.  I just don't have a body built for these things to come naturally.  But I sure do love long distance running. 

Anyhow, I ran 13 miles on Saturday.  I do about a 1-1.5 mile run to 1 minute walk ratio most of the time. My last couple of miles usually have a couple more walk breaks.  This Saturday I felt AMAZING.  Once I got moving and realized that the soreness from Ins and Outs on Thursday wasn't going to affect my legs things just went so smoothly.  In past long runs the wheels had fallen off around miles 9-11 but Saturday that never happened.  However, my pace was also much faster (25 seconds per mile faster than my 12 miler 2 weeks before.)  My logs are up to date and I included notes on the nutrition/hydration strategy I used on Saturday there.  I highly doubt this is nutrition/hydration but not sure.  My training plan is a personal plan written by an experienced running coach (and yes, I'll be chatting about this with her tomorrow.)

After the run I hydrated and fueled well.  I took a 25 minute ice bath and got a short nap.  Later I had to do an extra little run/walk as I am a personal motivator for SkirtSports Kick Start program and I didn't want to leave my racer without her support for our kick off run.  I felt tired but okay. 

On Sunday my calf cramped as I got into the pool.  I was able to get it released pretty quickly and then went about my very short swim and just various errands through the day.  I continued to eat and hydrate well. Used a foam roller and trigger point ball.   Yesterday evening I was experiencing hamstring, calf and foot cramps.  For the most part if I changed positions quickly I could get it to loosen up but they were painful and irritating. 

Today I'm just sore so far.  No cramping but muscles are literally sore to the touch.  Primarily quads/hamstrings/calves.

So, collective wisdom of BT, what say you? 

2011-08-08 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3633760

User image

Subject: RE: Can't believe I'm asking a question about cramping...
I get this when I'm in build mode. It goes away after about a week or two. Every now and again I wake up to a foot cramping to the point of pain.

Then I get used to the new level of activity and it all goes away.

2011-08-08 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Honestly, I'd say it's just part of being a runner.  You increase volume and pace, you get a few cramps later. 
2011-08-08 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3633886

Master
Northern IL

DanielG - 2011-08-08 10:28 AM I get this when I'm in build mode. It goes away after about a week or two. Every now and again I wake up to a foot cramping to the point of pain. Then I get used to the new level of activity and it all goes away.

Pretty much the same here.

2011-08-08 10:44 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I'll be honest, that's the answer I would prefer.  But I wanted to make sure that there wasn't something glaring that I was missing in my review.  Any other thoughts appreciated and welcome! 
2011-08-08 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago Area
I haven't had calf cramps in years and a couple weeks ago, three nights in a row I woke up in pain.  I kept to my training and they have been fine once I got through it.

2011-08-08 11:58 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
I don't know if this is your particular situation or not but the only time I get cramps is if I let myself get dehydrated and pretty much stay that way too long throughout the day.  Pretty rare but it tends to be on days like what you had where your pretty much out and running around all day after a long run.  But, in my case it is only calf cramps so not really sure it is the same thing
2011-08-08 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Wallingford, CT
How long have you had EIA? I am not a pro on this but i'm wondering if lack of oxygen due to the EIA has something to do with it?

I was told about 4 years ago (when I started working out hard instead of just going to the gym to lift weights) that I had EIA. I fixed it by working on my stomach, Acid Reflux was the cause of my EIA (reflux laryngitis).
2011-08-08 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3634243

User image

Lafayette, CO

Boosted333 - 2011-08-08 11:58 AM How long have you had EIA? I am not a pro on this but i'm wondering if lack of oxygen due to the EIA has something to do with it? I was told about 4 years ago (when I started working out hard instead of just going to the gym to lift weights) that I had EIA. I fixed it by working on my stomach, Acid Reflux was the cause of my EIA (reflux laryngitis).

I was diagnosed with EIA around 4 years ago when I first started this whole get in shape thing.  At the time I was only riding my mountain bike.  I control it pretty well and on long runs it really doesn't come into play much.  Mostly becomes an issue with hill work and speed work.  Saturday's runs were most definitely neither.  Interesting that your EIA was caused by acid reflux but I don't have any of that.  I won't say that EIA definitely isn't the cause or a contributor but it seems odd to me that it would be the cause given the type of workout and the sudden onset.

2011-08-08 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Wallingford, CT
I didn't think I had acid reflux or GERD either... I was tired of inhalers and wanted know the cause of this "EIA"... Spent about a year googling asthma and EIA, and then decided to talk to a gastro Dr about my situation. He he felt that an upper-GI series and an endoscopy would tell us a lot.. and it did. He said my LES (lower esophagal sphincter) didn't close all the way, so it would let some food/acid back up, bothering my larynx. There's also something called "Silent GERD" where you don't know you have it, you can't feel it, and in 20-30 years you get throat cancer. I didn't want to play around with any of this... Afterwards I took some stomach pills from him and i felt better, but my nutritionist had me stop those and now I take "phosphoric acid" instead. Something to think about.

And you and I were in the same boat, I started out riding MTB and doing some cardio, and wheezing/caughing during/afterwards. Then I stepped it up to running and road biking, and now trying to step it up even more with Tri's.

The other thing you can look into is going barefoot, and strengthening your legs some more. My calves were sore as heck when I first made the switch to FiveFingers, until I got past the 4 mile mark. Took months, but it was worth it.

Edited by Boosted333 2011-08-08 2:32 PM
2011-08-08 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Do you take asthma meds like albuterol and/or Advair?

I struggled with cramps for years that made no sense. Finally went to the doctor, since I am neurotic about logging odd things that happen during training I was able to pin point when the cramps started...about 1 month after starting adviar(flovent didnt cause it since it doesnt have the beta agonist in it). Turns out these drugs can cause potassium issues. Doc tested my blood, showed a depletion, prescribed Potassium supplements(RX that are much, much higher than over the counter) And within 4 days was cramp free. Havent had a cramp in the month now since.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't believe I'm asking a question about cramping... Rss Feed