General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changing the rear cog on a Walmart Schwinn? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-08 11:59 AM

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Subject: Changing the rear cog on a Walmart Schwinn?
My sister picked up a cruiser this weekend. I think it is perfect for her as she wants to cruise her hood. It has 7 speeds, a nice upright geometry and a step through frame. Pretty snazzy looking ride actually. The only issue is that the gearing seems a little tough. She is recovering from knee replacement and is very unfit so she really needs a super easy spin.  They have a few hills, and I think they will put a lot of pressure on her even in the easiest gear.  I was wondering if I can switch out the reag cog on this sort of bike???  It has lug nuts instead of a screwer.  I switch cogs out on my bikes and have the tools for them, but so many things seem a little different on the Walmart type bikes..I am not sure if it is even possible???

2011-08-08 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3634110

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Changing the rear cog on a Walmart Schwinn?
It's possible.  That bike will use a freewheel instead of a cassette, so different tools will be needed.  You'll also want to see if there are any easier options available, a lot of those bikes already come with some huge gears in the back.
2011-08-08 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City
I had a Schwinn from Target that had been ridden about 10 miles when the freewheel broke.  Easily replaced by LBS.
2011-08-08 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3634344

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Generaly, bike are pretty simple devices machanically and my moto is, if it was put together, there generally is a way to take them apart.  Of course, if there is glue,welds, or parts that snap together (like a zip tie type thing) it get's a lot harder.

So that being said, I'm sure you can find the basic tools around to take it apart and replace parts.  My biggest concern is can you find replacement parts?  Especially non OEM parts.

Like other said, have you riden the bike?  The low end gears on cruisers are pretty easy unless you are going up a steep hill.  If you make them TOO easy, you may not be able to get enough speed to stay upright.

If the OP would, tell us the gear ratio on the cruiser.  I'm wondering if it's the same as a MTB or not.  Just curious.

2011-08-08 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Straight outta Central Flurrrrrida

If you're doing it just once, I think it would be more ideal just to take it to the shop and have them do it.

I bought a chain whip and cassette remover because I have a wheel cover to make my wheel a disc, and you have to take the cassette off each time you put the cover on/off as it goes behind the cassette close to the spokes.

Those tools ran about $30.

2011-08-08 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3634592

User image

Fort Walton Beach

I may do that if she decides it is too hard. I actually have a chain whip and freewheel remover, but I don't think they'll work on this bike.

I did take a quick look at the gearing. One ring on front..looks like a 53.  Looks like the large cog on back is about 28.  Should be fine, but did not feel like an easy spin to me.  The wheels are 700's with fairly wide tires, but not as wide as an mtb. The bike is 45lbs.  I'll just see what she says and take it to the shop if she thinks she needs something easier. It almost seems like going to a smaller ring in the front would be the thing to do.  Wouldn't hurt for them to go over it anyway.  For what she paid, she'll still come out ahead. It was $65 on clearance. Actually a nice bike for the price. Hard to imagine spending that on a whole bike for most of us : )

2011-08-08 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3634654

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

The freewheel on this bike may be a splined pattern but it's worth checking. Some bikes in that category also use a four-notched tool to remove the freewheel assembly.

As the others have mentioned a local bike shop should be able to swap this out quickly for easier gearing for well under $50 total labour and parts.

Other strategies to make the bike easier to pedal that you are likely already aware of is correct saddle height and adequate air pressure in the tires.

Best of luck with this and nice of you to lend a helping hand!Smile

2011-08-08 4:14 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Count the teeth on both.  I'd be amazed to see a cruiser/hybrid with a 53 tooth big ring, usually closer to low 40's/high 30's if only one ring.  And in back 28 would be odd...usually closer to 34 with a "MEGA-Range" Cog.  And a freewheel removal tool is cheap, probably 8-10 bucks? I'd have to pull up my website to check.  Super easy to do, as well. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changing the rear cog on a Walmart Schwinn? Rss Feed