General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing 'well' in a Oly without training for swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-09 12:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Subject: Doing 'well' in a Oly without training for swimming
I was wondering if people on here focus solely on biking and running and don't train for swimming. I don't have an aversion per se for swimming but I can't swim more than twice a week without getting bored in the swimming pool and feeling that it's a chore. In my last tri, I did not train at all for swimming. I didn't go to the pool once. I just wanted to see if I could do as well without training. I am not a strong swimmer by any means. I started swimming 4 years ago and my fastest 1500m swim is 28' or so. In my last tri, I did 30' and PR'd the tri by almost 4'. I know I'm not a good example and most people shouldn't do what I do but I wanted to know if there's others on here who focus more on running and biking.

2011-08-09 12:16 AM
in reply to: #3635202

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Subject: RE: Doing 'well' in a Oly without training for swimming

I do, because the amount of time to go from 28 mins to 25 mins is huge compared to how much faster the same amount of work would make me on the bike (or run). Course, if you want to win you need to be at least in the top group within a min or so.

I'd rather spend the time and try sub 40 10k run. 

2011-08-09 12:24 AM

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN

I don't really like swimming either, so I don't.

(I will in the winter)

I focus on the bike and run. I've done 4 Du's (2-2nd, 1-3rd, 1-6th)

And the swim part of the tri definitely hurts my overall time but I still do pretty well. Typically, 10th-15th overall.

2011-08-09 2:01 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I don't train the swim nearly as much as the bike or run because A) I'm a better swimmer than cyclist (used to be on HS swim team...many, MANY, years ago, but you never really lose your stroke mechanics) and B) the ROI on time spent on the bike or run is higher in tri's in general.  Swim is more important at the Oly distance (it's a higher pct of the total distance), but I'm generally 25'-29' depending on course layout and conditions and don't really feel I want to invest more of the limited training time I've got to maybe shave a minute or two off of that...bigger gains are there for me to make on the bike.
2011-08-09 5:38 AM
in reply to: #3635225

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
tcovert - 2011-08-09 3:01 AMI don't train the swim nearly as much as the bike or run because A) I'm a better swimmer than cyclist (used to be on HS swim team...many, MANY, years ago, but you never really lose your stroke mechanics) and B) the ROI on time spent on the bike or run is higher in tri's in general.  Swim is more important at the Oly distance (it's a higher pct of the total distance), but I'm generally 25'-29' depending on course layout and conditions and don't really feel I want to invest more of the limited training time I've got to maybe shave a minute or two off of that...bigger gains are there for me to make on the bike.
x2. I could have written this post verbatim.
2011-08-09 6:53 AM
in reply to: #3635265

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
TriMyBest - 2011-08-09 6:38 AM

tcovert - 2011-08-09 3:01 AMI don't train the swim nearly as much as the bike or run because A) I'm a better swimmer than cyclist (used to be on HS swim team...many, MANY, years ago, but you never really lose your stroke mechanics) and B) the ROI on time spent on the bike or run is higher in tri's in general.  Swim is more important at the Oly distance (it's a higher pct of the total distance), but I'm generally 25'-29' depending on course layout and conditions and don't really feel I want to invest more of the limited training time I've got to maybe shave a minute or two off of that...bigger gains are there for me to make on the bike.

X3!! Too funny.... I actually just posted over in the Iron Distance training forum about this... I also feel like my ROI on swim training is much lower than for bike/run training... Any thoughts from anyone on the minimum amount of swim training needed for a comfortable IM swim (not necessarily fast, but comfortable, and with enough left in the tank for bike & run)?

2011-08-09 7:15 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
It all depends on how you define well; last year I pretty much stopped swimming after my daughter was born and swam 24k in all of 2010 (including two sprints of 750m and an oly). Despite this, I still did pretty well in all the swims; not close to where I was when I was swimming regularly, but still in the MOP to FOP depending on the race.

While I can do this and pull off a solid oly distance race, this is not what I would consider doing well for me; I am very competitive and have a hard time dealing with racing slower than I know that I can if I train consistently and probably will not go back to serious racing until I can commit the time to train properly in all three disciplines.

However, as long as you aren't a hazard in the water and are comfortable getting out with whatever time your lack of swim training gives you, then there is no reason you can't cut out swim training and have fun and enjoy success on race day.

Shane
2011-08-09 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
I've got an Oly coming up the end of this month and I have not done much swim training at all. If I had easy access to a nice pool or lake I might try and do it more often. I used to belong to the local Y, but it was costing me almost $80 a month and it seemed like every time I went, the pool was full of kids there for swim team practice (even if I got there at 5:30am).
2011-08-09 9:09 AM

Seems like the veteran guys around here subscribe to the OP's theory. They put swimming on hiatus until 2-3 weeks before an olympic, then cram it back in. I tried it for a couple months and used the extra time to make some pretty good gains on the bike/run. Now that I'm that a couple weeks out from my olympic I jumped back in the pool. First time back from my break my pace was 90% there. Endurance was down a bit, but I'll take it.  Couple weeks of jamming in swim practice and it'll be good enough. Disclaimer: I'm also MOP on the swim.
2011-08-09 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3635308

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

jsnowash - 2011-08-09 7:53 AM
TriMyBest - 2011-08-09 6:38 AM
X3!! Too funny.... I actually just posted over in the Iron Distance training forum about this... I also feel like my ROI on swim training is much lower than for bike/run training... Any thoughts from anyone on the minimum amount of swim training needed for a comfortable IM swim (not necessarily fast, but comfortable, and with enough left in the tank for bike & run)?

I think it's different for everyone, but last year I did my first IM, and only swam 126K total for all of 2010.  For me, that was enough to comfortably swim a 1:10 at my IM, and still come out of the water fresh and with enough in the tank to bike the same pace that I did for a HIM 4 months earlier, but I attribute that more to bike training than swim training.  It sounds like you may find something similar works for you too.

2011-08-09 10:49 AM

User image

I was getting bored with the swimming as well (even though its my "best" leg) - until I bought an underwater MP3 player. I don't know if you're the type that enjoys music while you train, but for me it made the time go so much faster! They're pretty cheap too (and the one I bought converts to a regular MP3 as well)

Noa

2011-08-09 12:10 PM

Veteran
ROI, bah - that's what 5am is for.  I'm trying to get as much of each sport in as possible right now as I've never done any distance training before.  Especially on the swim, where a 525yd sprint race leaves me wiped. 
2011-08-09 6:13 PM

Master
, California

goran007 - 2011-08-08 10:13 PM I was wondering if people on here focus solely on biking and running and don't train for swimming. I don't have an aversion per se for swimming but I can't swim more than twice a week without getting bored in the swimming pool and feeling that it's a chore. In my last tri, I did not train at all for swimming. I didn't go to the pool once. I just wanted to see if I could do as well without training. I am not a strong swimmer by any means. I started swimming 4 years ago and my fastest 1500m swim is 28' or so. In my last tri, I did 30' and PR'd the tri by almost 4'. I know I'm not a good example and most people shouldn't do what I do but I wanted to know if there's others on here who focus more on running and biking.

It depends on how much you think you can gain in each area.  The winner at my last Oly swam a 17:55 I think.

2011-08-09 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Am I the only one who has noticed this thread is running along side on titled "Why is the swim the deadliest leg of a tri?"

2011-08-09 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
lol yeah. i didnt train in the water because i dont have access to it. biking and running i can do anywhere. swimming i cant really do, but ive always been a pretty fast swimmer.
2011-08-09 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3635564

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
BC4UA - 2011-08-09 11:09 AM

Seems like the veteran guys around here subscribe to the OP's theory. They put swimming on hiatus until 2-3 weeks before an olympic, then cram it back in.

I wouldn't say so; have a look at the logs of most of the people who regularly log their training and you will generally see pretty solid swim volume. You can do "well" with little swimming but for most, if they want to be competitive or improve their times, swim training is going to be a key piece of that.

When I decide to go back to serious training, I will be aiming to be in the water 3-5x/week for 10-15km per week. For me, this will be the difference between swimming ~25-26 for an oly distance race and ~22-23. However, beyond the time saved in the swim, this means that I am closer to the FOP exiting the water and am therefore riding and running with faster athletes which helps keep me focused and pushing through the race.

Shane

2011-08-09 8:29 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

I have been run/bike-focused (in that order), and I am currently very run-focused and will remain so until I achieve my goals (or flame out trying).

However, I have already decided that when this run focus is over, I will dedicate myself to the swim.   Why?  Right now, the swim more than anything is holding me back.  Example:  In my last tri, I could have easily been on the podium (overall, not AG) if I was anywhere near the front pack in the swim.  As it was, I was not.  I typically finish around top 30-40% on the swim, but top 5%-2% on the bike and run.  Yes, this leave me near the top of the field by the end, but in order to take it to the next level, I need to learn to swim.

In our local 'series', I moved up to the 'open' division (purely voluntary -- anybody can be 'open' in this series, so it's not necessarily a big deal, though mostly it is faster people).  The open wave always starts first.  The result is that I swim mostly alone (no drafting), then come out of the water alone or with just a few athletes, and the bike and run are then quite lonely affairs.  I'll pick off a few people on the bike and a few more on the run, but basically I'm by myself the entire time.  It is very difficult to put in a top performance under those circumstances.  It's more like time trialing than racing.

It matters differently to different people.  For me, the swim is becoming increasingly important.

2011-08-09 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3636715

User image

SWOH

LittleCat - 2011-08-09 7:18 PM Am I the only one who has noticed this thread is running along side on titled "Why is the swim the deadliest leg of a tri?"

You're not alone.

2011-08-09 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3636903

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
triforce - 2011-08-09 9:59 PM

LittleCat - 2011-08-09 7:18 PM Am I the only one who has noticed this thread is running along side on titled "Why is the swim the deadliest leg of a tri?"

You're not alone.

Just so we're fair to OP:  He went 27:xx in his last Oly.  Not uber-fast, but not floating either.

Yes, many things can pose a threat on the swim, even to solid swimmers.  But OP is clearly a solid swimmer, and any danger he may face during a tri swim is not due to lack of ability in the swim.  He is not in the category of "danger to self and others due to lack of ability".

This is not a comment on the other thread, and specifically not on why (or whether) the swim is the most dangerous leg.

2011-08-09 9:10 PM

See this thread: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=264264&start=1

My take on it: Do at least enough OWS training so you don't die.

MArk B.

2011-08-09 11:22 PM
in reply to: #3636865

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Experior - 2011-08-09 9:29 PM

However, I have already decided that when this run focus is over, I will dedicate myself to the swim.   Why?  Right now, the swim more than anything is holding me back.  Example:  In my last tri, I could have easily been on the podium (overall, not AG) if I was anywhere near the front pack in the swim.  As it was, I was not.  I typically finish around top 30-40% on the swim, but top 5%-2% on the bike and run.  Yes, this leave me near the top of the field by the end, but in order to take it to the next level, I need to learn to swim.

^^ This.

As others said, it depends on what you mean by 'well'. In my case, I know that the weakness of my swim makes a big difference to my race experience, pretty much in the same way that Michael describes. My Oly swim splits have been ~28, so no disaster, but also minutes behind the leaders. And if the race is non-wetsuit, then I'm even further behind the good swimmers. My bike is rather stronger, and I generally put in one of the faster run legs in my AG. But I never get to feel like I'm really racing against others, because I'm always working my way through the field after leaving the leaders behind on the swim. I never have the same competitive experience that I would have in an open running event, because my 3 events are so imbalanced. I have decided that if I want to be competitive in tris, then I have to improve my swim to the point where I'm racing against my competitors from the beginning, and not simply doing a time-trial and then looking at the results sheet afterwards to find out who else was out there.

A good thing about the Oly distance is that swim improvements are reasonably well rewarded.

2011-08-10 8:31 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It all depend on what you mean by doing well... if you mean finish the swim, then yes, you would probably be ok. If you have aspirations to place, then I would say, you need to get in the water and just deal with it.

Personally, I'm pretty much dead last out of the water (both overall and most definitely in my AG), but I know I can make up for it on the bike and hang on pretty well during the run. (last race took me from 256 out of about 300 after the swim to 39th overall after the bike and finally ended up somewhere in the top 50). Point being that you can perform well to YOUR standard even if you have a poor swim, but most likely, you won't be able to make up so much time on the bike and run that you can completely negate the swim if you want to place.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing 'well' in a Oly without training for swimming Rss Feed