General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower Back Pain during a race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-11 4:24 PM

User image

Regular
Here
Subject: Lower Back Pain during a race
I've never had back pain issues during a race before in Oly distances or even during training, but I experienced lower back pains during my first HIM last month on the run leg.  Luckily it was not enough to debilitate me but with IMAZ coming up I'm looking for ways to prevent problems during the Full IM.  I'm thinking of implementing core work into my training.  Will this help?  Other suggestions? 

2011-08-12 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3639972

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Lower Back Pain during a race
I had this during my first HIM also. What I found is when I was doing my longer training rides, I would be moving around a lot. When I did the raced I stayed aero for almost all of the time. Back was not use to staying aero that long then taking a pounding from the run. This year I have done some longer bricks and also worked on stretching my hamstrings and back more.
2011-08-12 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

JHIMAZ - 2011-08-11 5:24 PM I've never had back pain issues during a race before in Oly distances or even during training, but I experienced lower back pains during my first HIM last month on the run leg.  Luckily it was not enough to debilitate me but with IMAZ coming up I'm looking for ways to prevent problems during the Full IM.  I'm thinking of implementing core work into my training.  Will this help?  Other suggestions? 

As a person currently having back problems, I'll suggest a few things that I have heard and been working on.

Like most people your core could probably use some work but it probably isn't the cause of your problems. But strengthening it could help any future issues, so add some in.

Did you have any back issues on the bike?  Depending on your flexibility your fit might be great for Olympic distance but not for HIM distance.  I have 2-3 positions I put my bars in depending on the length of the race. 

Another thing to look at with regards to flexibility is how tight are your hamstrings, glutes, calves, etc.  From talking to both Chiropractors and Sports massage people it's scary how many things in your body are connected.  Tightness in one area can lead another area to work a bit more, which then pulls on things like your lower back. 

I have horrible flexibility and muscle tightness, which I believe is the cause for my current problems and I'm working on stretching and a few strength routines to help even everything out.  My chiro even pointed out I had weakish glutes which could be causing diffent muscles to be firing when pedaling and then pulling on my lower back, so doing a bit of strength to try to work that out.

If you're truly concerned about it I would go see a Chiropractor or at least a Sports massage person to evaluate you.  Depending on your insurance Chiropractor could be covered, luckilly it is on mine. 

2011-08-12 4:35 PM

User image

Regular
Here
Interesting.  Didn't know hamstrings and glute stiffness could cause back problems.  I am horribly inflexible and don't stretch at all.  Will work on that.  It may also explain why I felt tightness not exactly on the fleshy parts of my glutes but underneath it closer to the gluteal fold.  During the run I thought it was a potential cramp coming but maybe it was tightness.  thanks for your advice.
2011-08-13 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3641436

User image

Alpharetta, GA

I recommend core work (front and back).  I consider the core everything between the belly button to the upper thighs front and back.

Core work includes flexibility work.  Yoga is excellent for core flexibility in the hips/glutes/hamstrings.  It's also a lot more fun to do than just plain stretching.  (I use the P90X Yoga workout.)

There's a good core strengthening workout here on BT... do a search.

Andi

2011-08-14 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
You may have pushed on the bike a little too hard and/or spent more time aero than you are used to. I had this same thing happen my first HIM and it was from racing at a pace I had not been training at and being aero the whole time where on training rides I sat up much more.

A foam roller will also do wonders.

As someone mentioned, tightness in one spot can cause havoc somewhere that seems totally unrelated. I have a calve muscle that behaves badly if the ITB insertion site is tight.

Rolling every day makes a huge diff, and rolling out my lower back after being on the bike really helps loosen it up.

Edited by LittleCat 2011-08-14 12:18 PM

2011-08-14 9:13 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Core work is often useful for triathlons, but it might or might not make a difference to your lower back issues. 

I was having frequent lower back difficulties until I got my bike re-fit by a more knowledgeable fitter (I had also lost a bunch of weight since my original fit). That made a huge difference to the back pain that I had been experiencing both on the bike and on the subsequent run. 

2011-08-15 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
JHIMAZ - 2011-08-11 5:24 PM

I've never had back pain issues during a race before in Oly distances or even during training, but I experienced lower back pains during my first HIM last month on the run leg.  Luckily it was not enough to debilitate me but with IMAZ coming up I'm looking for ways to prevent problems during the Full IM.  I'm thinking of implementing core work into my training.  Will this help?  Other suggestions? 

When was the last time you had a fitting done? I try to get one once a year to make minor adjustments. Last time, a few months ago, a seat tube adjustment of 2 cm was all I needed to remedy most back issues.

Like everyone else said, a good core routine would help as well. Nice back/ab muscles will help support your upper body in aero and keep you from slouching on the bike, something I am guilty of doing, causing excess stress on my lower back.
2011-08-19 12:34 PM

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA

I know it's a pain the a$$, but core work & foam roller & stetching (tight hammies cause lower back issues too) make a HUGE difference for back issues.

I had problems as well.  I tried massage, ART, ultra sound & chiropracter.  All were a waste of money until I adapted the above.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower Back Pain during a race Rss Feed