YMCA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 57s
Overall Rank = 175/233
Age Group = 25-29 Women
Age Group Rank = 11/23
Pre-race routine:

Ensure (Protein) Vanilla; cup of coffee; blueberry muffin; Gatorade. Arrived at the park at 6:30 a.m. Checked out the swim course; registered and got body marked and quickly made my way to transition. We could rack wherever we wanted within a bracket of numbers, so I set up at the end of a row - easy!
Event warmup:

Gentle jogging - .5 mile, slow. Icing shin (splinting).
Swim
  • 14m 30s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had trouble finding my rhythm again. I think I was third or fourth until the first buoy, then I dropped off; found a comfortable rhythm, which meant backing off a bit. Had hoped to finish two minutes faster on this leg. Started in a great position - to the left and front of the pack.

Official Time per 100 yards: 128:20
What would you do differently?:

Pass people - train for faster, more aerobic swimming this winter. Don't forget about technique esp. when you feel sloppy!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Took a bit too long to catch breath, but my chest felt tight. (Foreshadowing...)

Faster jogging from the water to Transition.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 59s
  • 14 miles
  • 13.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Glad I had prepped for this earlier in the week! Had a lot of trouble catching my breath up the first hill; settled in quickly, though. Was passed, and didn't pass many (not a good sign). Good at climbing and downhills, very slow today on the flats.

Get above an average speed of 14.3 mph.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Felt great coming off bike; I had drank an entire bottle of water + Heed mix; felt hydrated and ready to slip into comfy sneakers.

I paused a bit after my running gear was on to adjust my race number and take a breath; should have done this while running.
Run
  • 31m 56s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay run back until I reached the dam hill (or should I say, DAMN hill); had to walk (quickly and swung my arms for momentum) up the hill; then ran the rest of the way pretty quickly; picked it up at the end down the "straightaway." Screeched across the finish line, disappointed with my time, and glad to be done.

Run split place: 195th (AWFUL!!)

Learn to run up hills with a smile on my face. Pick up the pace; I HAVE to get faster at running next year - I'm losing four to five spots in my age group each race on the run. I know I can do better!
Post race
Warm down:

Water and walk around; gentle stretching. Ate some watermelon and 1/2 of a stale bagel. Met up with club members.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of energy and endurance; very poor breathing (need to build aerobic endurance back up over the winter).

Event comments:

Race was delayed by drifting buoy; course well-marked and well-staffed with friendly and happy volunteers. Run course (esp. on the dam) was covered in dog doo (gross!). Only one set of bathrooms opened at the park - lines were sooooo long. No electronic timing - all done by hand. Course NOT described well on the Web site or in literature received when I registered; I had NO idea there was trail running or the hills; topo map mislabled with wrong street names. Really, more thought could have been put into this!! That said, the park is beautiful, and I will try this race again.

Last updated: 2005-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:30 | 880 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 72/233
Performance: Average
Bike + run on beach entering into transition: 16:03 (official time).
Suit: Wetsuit + singlet and tri shorts.
Course: Counter-clockwise swim around buoys (which were drifting right up until the start of the race). Felt longer than .5 mile! Sunny, shallow, murky but clean (and almost vegetation free) water. Probably could have done without a wetsuit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:59 | 14 miles | 13.34 mile/hr
Overall: 160/233
Performance: Below average
My cyclometer read 14.6 miles. Bike split place was 173. Overall cum was 160th.
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: VERY hilly; clockwise down Rt. 13 through Goffstown, Dunbarton and back up River Rd/Clough State Park Rd. through Weare. Pavement 50% horrid (don't these people pay taxes??!!) and 50% brandy new pavement (I was flying!!).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:56 | 03 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 0/233
Performance: Bad
VERY HIGH Official run per mile time read 9.08??
Course: Out and back; pavement from Transition up to the Everett Dam; up a HILL (ugh!) to the dam and run across - finally caught my breath here. Down a STEEP rocky off-road trail down on the other side of the lake; out on sandy trail to turnaround/water station;
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-12 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
Subject: Tri-Clough YMCA Sprint

2005-09-13 1:14 PM
in reply to: #244634

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Subject: RE: Tri-Clough YMCA Sprint
Hey there!
Sounds like a challenging day! Thanks for the report. I had been planning on doing this race until something came up. Nice to get your perspective. Great observations about the hilly trail run and the pavement IS awful as you approach the park! I practiced the loop a couple of times in preperation for the race. That road is terrible! This will be a good winter to hunker down and build back up for next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Clough YMCA Sprint Rss Feed