Lake Worth-----multirace.com
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 16s
Overall Rank = 209/270
Age Group = First timers
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3am. 100 mile drive, with friends. 2 cups of coffee. Banana. Granola bar. And all the anxiousness of a first timer doing an open swim in the ocean and knowing the waves have been bad for a week (tropical storm Ophelia). Every 20 minutes or so it would hit me, I am really finally doing this. I couldn't wait.

Event warmup:

None really. Being my first time, I was hyped just to be there and participate. When he said go, I was ready.
Swim
  • 11m 30s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Before daylight you could just see the white walls of water 5 feet high coming into shore. Remnants of Ophelia. The water was tough. Waves were terrible. I had to kick hard the whole way just to fight the currents. It was exhausting. The good part was I was in the last wave so we got to watch the other waves and make adjustments on the angle we took at the first buoy. ALOT of the swimmers could not make the first or second bouys, but with the crazy waves, nothing was said. I am just glad they did not cancel the swim part. I was in the last wave and we had moved way down the beach to try and get an angle to get around the first bouy, and just before we went the bouy broke loose, so as we swam out it came in, giving us a little reprieve on the increasing length of the swim. I spent alot of time on my back for this one. Freestyle was almost impossible for me. When I got to shore I could barely stand, literally. Then I thought about the rest of the race in front of me and just smiled. The swim, I knew, would be the hard part, and it was done.
What would you do differently?:

Just keep training in the ocean. Honestly, for the conditions and it being my first time, it could not have been better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

I was whipped from the swim and did not really care about time. I walked mostly to T1 and tooke my time, rinsed my feet, made sure I had my helmet on and walked my bike out. I just wanted it to go off without a mistake. And other than forgetting my gloves, (and not missing them), It was great.

I could run to T1 and save alot of time.
Bike
  • 41m 22s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.13 mile/hr
Comments:

My cadence sensor did not work and that is one of the tools that I use to set my pace. Other than that, it was a good ride. Passed alot of people, got passed too. Took a little longer than I wanted but it was actually 12.5 miles instead of 10 or 11. Still able to keep overall time under goal for my first tri. (If I had stopped and adjusted my cadence sensor, I may not have achieved my overall time goal. Never stop in a race unless you have no choice.)

Check the entire bike in T1 before the race for any obvious problems. If the cadence had been working I could have set my pace a little higher.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I did not have a time. I guess the chip messed up. According to my posted run split, I would say about a 1 or 1.5 minutes. (Even though there were spectators in my way in T2)

Maybe unstrap shoes while coasting in on the bike.
Run
  • 32m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I jogged slow out of T2 and when I got to the bridge I walked most of the way up and drank my water. It was a small drawbridge and by the time I got to the top I felt good. I started running and felt great. Yea, I was tired but I have been running for a while and I was comfortable. The second time across the bridge, I fell on the way down. My foot twisted on a terrible road patch that I should have avoided, but I jumped up and felt ok. I picked up the pace on the last half mile or so and beat my overall goal. It was fantastic. I AM SO HOOKED. ( Sunday night my foot swole up, bad.)

My T2 time was probably added to my run time. My watch showed the run split around 31:30. Either way, it was good for me.

Nothing, great run for me. ( I am not fast)
Post race
Warm down:

Just kept moving. Lots of water. And some fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Harsh swim. Small bike malfunction. Did not really care to be fast in transitions.

Event comments:

Multi-race and the Lake Worth, Florida Chamber of Commerce put on a fantastic race. Lots of volunteers. On time with everything. We were there at 5:30 am to register and pick up packets and they were waiting for us. It was better organization than any 5k I have done. And the volunteers were PERFECT. There must have been over a hundred from local schools there and they were Great. I can't imagine a better experience for my first tri.

The tri shorts were definately the way to go. Worth the price.

Reliving the race here in this chronicle is pretty cool, too.

Last updated: 2005-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:30 | 440 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 202/270
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts
Course: Walk north down the beach to start. Out to first buoy, south to third bouy, and straight back to shore and T1.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:46
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:22 | 12.5 miles | 18.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 181/270
Wind: Some
Course: 2 long laps including crossing a little bridge twice. 4 hard u-turns. 12.5 miles instead of 10.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:48 | 03.11 miles | 10m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/17
Overall: 222/270
Course: Twice across the small bridge again. Through a local park. Shady and beautiful. What a great place to run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-12 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
Subject: Tropical Triathlon

2005-09-12 11:25 AM
in reply to: #244795

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Tropical Triathlon
Great race report...It sounds like a really positive experience for you...it sounds like that was a really tough swim.  Your bike time is great, and after falling you still had a respectable run!  Great job...Multirace puts on a good race.  The food usually isn't great, but they do a great job with the actual race...so when's the next one????
2005-09-12 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
I am going to try and make the Tri Fort Lauderdale Triathlon in 2 weeks. I either have to make 2 trips down there (one to pick up the packet) or spend the night, so it will be a little expensive for me. Hopefully I can get a couple of friends to go and split the cost. Either way, it's worth it.

I know I will have to put some travel time in to do triathlons because there are no tri's around here.
2005-09-12 1:40 PM

, Alabama

Gordon, great race.  Ordinarily I'd say that Tropical Tri is a good first race to do, but with that swim, all I have to say is "you picked THAT one as your first"??!?  Honestly, Gordon, if you can survive any race with that kind of wave action, all the rest will be a piece of cake!

I'm still wondering about the "small" drawbridge??  Where are you from?  That's a big hill to me.

Too bad my husband and I didn't get to meet you at the race.  I might be doing the Ft. Lauderdale one in two weeks if my foot heals up, so maybe Mimi and I could meet you there.

Sharon

2005-09-12 2:13 PM
in reply to: #245026

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
I trained in those waves a couple of times last week, so I kind of knew what to expect. I am glad that I went for it. I felt great having "conquered" the ocean, even for a few hundred yards.

As far as the bridges go, I ride and run over a couple of bridges over the intercoastal in Vero Beach. They are close to a mile each and fairly high, so I was kinda used to it. It was still tough, but I felt somewhat prepared.

Hope to see you both in Lauderdale if I make it there.

By the way, do you know of any reasonable places to stay in Lauderdale? On the net, everything looks so expensive. Maybe some small motels in proximity to the race?

Thanks
Snookdude
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tropical Triathlon Rss Feed