General Discussion Race Reports! » Muddy Buddy Chicago Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Muddy Buddy Chicago - Biathlon (run/bike)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gilbert, Illinois
United States
Muddy Buddy
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 56h 34m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = BEASTS
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was just a fun race but woke up at 4:45 took a shower. Packed the Bike and off we went. Ate a Power Bar along the way. Drank a Gatorade and some water. Relaxed till race time.
Event warmup:

Ran about 1/2 mile. Stretched and Kept the Fluids going.
Run
  • 00m
  • 2.5 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I had a side stitch for most of the race that I just couldn't get rid of. Other than that I tried to run as fast as I could for the short distance. Averaged probably 9 minute miles or so.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more water and wear a hydration pack.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

NO transitions per say. You just needed to finish the obstacle and find your bike that your partner left for you.

Put something on the bike to help distinguish it from all the other bikes.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 3.5 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The Hills were a bich to climb. I got up farther on most of them than my competitiors. Just with that many people on the hills at the same time you couldn't keep dodging them and peddaling at the same time. You were almost forced to run your bike up the hill.

Practice Mountain Biking. I havn't been on a Mountain Bike in a couple of years but it all came back to me.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some Red Hook Ale for free in the beer garden. Was hosed off by the lake and still had dirt on me everywhere. Sat aournd and stretched for a while while waiting on the raffle prizes to be annonced. Then went to a buddies house and watched the Bears suck it up big time.

Event comments:

Again it was a great race.

Last updated: 2005-09-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 02.5 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: I ran legs 2 and 4 of the race. Leg 2 started with a Cargo Net Obstacle OVer and easy the 7 foot tall Net. Then through a Water pit about 15-20 Yards long with waist deep water. Then Continued with the 1.2 Mile run to the Leg 3. Leg Four started off with another Cargo Net Obstacle This time it was 15-20 Feet up with a slide on the other side. No Problems again. Then the 1.3 Mile Run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:00:00 | 03.5 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: I biked the 1st, third, and 5th leg of the race. Leg one was approximatly 1.2 Miles. Leg 3 was 1.5 miles, and Leg 5 was 1.3 Miles. Leg 1 I was 3rd to the first obstacle the 7 foot Cargo Net. Ate a lot of dirt down the path. Leg 3 started with a 4 foot wall you needed to climb over then find your bike and go. Leg 5 Started with a Monkey Bars Obstacle. Lets just say I made it. Leg 3 and 5 were challenging as there were short steep climbs that unless there was no one in front of you it was impossible to pass unless you were running up the hills with your bikes. I had an out of body experience (Fall) at the end of a downhill on leg 5. They sent us across a corn field with little rivets in them. Caught a wheel on one at the very end and over the handle bars. Finished upt e race with a mudpit crawl. Very muddy and very cool.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right