General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tube questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-12 12:05 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Tube questions
I noticed that when I pump some of my tubes (outside the tire), I notice that the shape of my tube sometimes becomes "sausage" like. If I let the air out and do it again, it's the same shape.

Are these tubes defective because it only happens to about 10% of the tubes???? I was thinking that maybe in the tire, it wouldn't matter but just curious.

The best way to describe it is, some parts of the tube inflate more than others, creating a sausage like shape in parts of the tube. Sort of reminds me of clown ballons where part of it is skinnier than the other.

It doesn't lose air or anything but just curious if these are the defective tires.

2005-09-12 12:55 PM
in reply to: #244880

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: RE: Tube questions

I know what you mean, and believe this to be fairly common since I've seen it many times. The wall thickness of the tube varies slightly along it's length, and the air pressure naturally will balloon out the section where the wall is thinnest. Once mounted in a tire, the tire keeps the tube from getting these "aneurysms" and distributes the pressure more evenly inside the tire casing.

It's kind of like when I've seen a tire peel off a rim in one small area and the tube inside ballooning out the small opening - the pressure just forces it out at the weakest spot, where the rim isn't supporting the tire.

2005-09-12 4:42 PM
in reply to: #244880

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Tube questions
Ok, your explanation makes sense. I was going to return them but since you said it was fairly common, I'll just use them. I'm probably a little paranoid...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tube questions Rss Feed