Firm Racing
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 44m 58s
Overall Rank = 319/484
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 52/73
Pre-race routine:

This is my first race report so bear with me if i wander abit. Lets see, Nerves and freaking out was pretty much my routine as it had been for a few days.
Event warmup:

As Dave and Rob know my warmup was interesting. The wife dropped me off at 5:45 and then headed back to the hotel to be with our kids. Yours truly was setting up and realized there is no helmet here. Uh oh, run like a wildman to borrow a cell phone or this is the shortest race in history. The wife shows up in 15 minutes with helmet, towel, and a kiss good luck ( not so bad!). I really needed that towel..LOL. From there i got body marked ..oops the volunteer wrote the wrong number...it happens no biggie. Then I realize no race belt not a problem i buy one from the friendly vendor. Ok enough fun for a warmup.
Swim
  • 36m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Rob ( old captain Jack) came to the swim start which was nice cause I was a little on edge. The breakers were a bit intimidating but once you get through them the swim was really enjoyable. I really like ocean swimming.
What would you do differently?:

Not much ..not be so nervous ..hopefully next time I can enjoy the beautiful sunrise.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Surprisingly no major issues. Sure glad I had that towel!
Bike
  • 3h 02m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode the course a few weeks ago and really liked this bike course. I really focused on nutrition and made sure I ate and drank regardless. There was a nasty bike accident on Route 1 which was be dealt with sure hope those folks are ok looked nasty. Felt great on the bike and didnt go all out becasue I am not a great runner and I didnt want to walk the run. There was a decent headwind on the way back but not bad. Really fun course with some hills thrown in for good measure.

Hit the porta potty first so I do not have to make a nature stop in the woods and risk being attacked by a wild animal!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Felt great off the bike and was ready to run. I was so excited I forgot my new $10 race belt and number. I realized this about a half mile out and was not going back!

Duh, put on race number!!
Run
  • 2h 06m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started out great. I actually saw my wife and kids on route 1 in the car stuck in traffic. We chatted a second and off i went. Until now i had only run 10 miles a couple of times but felt great so I was not concerned with pacing etc. Around mile 8 I started to feel a pain in the right knee. At mile 10 it really started to hurt and all I kept saying was I can run a 5k this isnt that bad. At mile 12 i started talking to myself. Bottom line I did not walk any of the run which was a goal but today I am nursing what appears to be a good case of ITBS. Thank goodness for RX and ice.

not much.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the line with my daughter and 5 year old son and it was a great feeling. I drank endurox and limped to my car. I just wanted to go home!

Event comments:

I started this Journey 10 months ago. At that time a long bike ride was 30 minutes and my first 5k tie was 40 minutes and swimming what was that?I am really pleased having completed this race and the best part is all the great people I have met this summer and the friendships that have been made. 9/11 is an emotional day for me as my firm was located on the 89th floor of the WTC and we lost 67 people that day. In many respects this experience was very cathartic for me and I tried to enjoy every minute of it. Thanks for listening..and happy racing.

Last updated: 2005-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:18 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/73
Overall: 0/484
Performance:
Suit: T1 2 piece
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:02:00 | 56 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:06:37 | 13.1 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-09-12 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Firmman Half Iron Triathlon

2005-09-12 2:06 PM
in reply to: #245015

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Firmman Half Iron Triathlon

Seth,
   Great race, you did a great job.  Glad to see you and that you got all your equipment in time. 

Adios
Dave

2005-09-12 2:19 PM

Expert
Hey Seth...awesome job. It looks like everything went according to plan (except for the knee). Now rest up and enjoy a few days off.

Later

Mark
2005-09-12 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
What a great day for you seth!!!! Fun time on the beach eh?! Capt. Jack is quite a guy.

yes indeed my friend, grace of the supreme one that we are all able to be there and enjoy the day and be able to race.

recover well.
2005-09-12 7:39 PM

User image

Rocky hill, CT
great race!! Glad it weent as planned, well as much as these things can!!
Rest, recover and enjoy it because more than likely you are hooked and then have to plan what the next one will be. I'm sorry we missed your finish but we were listening for your name but did not hear it as I at least was still in the post-race fog.

Talk to you later

Stacey
2005-09-13 6:47 AM

Pro
Andover
Seth,

Great to hook up with you again--it had been a while. You were lookin' good out there buddy!

I didn't know your family was in RI. I thought your wife was headed back from CT. Had I know they were going to be there I would have made sure I was at the finish shoot to get a pic--sorry about that!

Well, CONGRATS on kickin' it in your 1st 1/2 and thanks for posting a report. Now, if I could just get you to use your BLOG!

Rest that knee... We need to get a few runs in before the Htfd 1/2!

2005-09-13 6:51 AM

User image

Expert
BLOG what's a BLOG?

Since I am nursing the knee I will check into the blog thing. Another half marathon..yikes ..did I agree to that. Great to see you and all the other folks on Sunday.

Seth
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Firmman Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed