United States
Georgia Multisports Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m
Overall Rank = 165/316
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am. I looked in the mirror and though what in the world am I doing? I had to drive to pick up James (1hr away) and then we had to drive another 90 minutes to the race. With 30 minutes before we arrived to the state park we passed a sign that read "Welcome to the foothills of the Appalachians", not exactly what I was hoping to see on the way to my inaugural triathlon. I drank 2 cups of coffee, ate a bagel with peanut butter and drank ~12oz of gatorade. Very similar pre-race routine to the Chicago Marathon 3 years ago. Didn't have too many butterflies!
Event warmup:

Once I went through registration, got marked, got my bike and T1 stuff in order I went down to the water and stepped on the sand which felt 50 degrees. Fortunately the water was very warm. I took a few short strokes just to see how clear the water was and felt like that was enough. Waited forever for start time to get there and tried to keep calm.
Swim
  • 38m 46s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

First 300 meters I asked my self the same question I did at 4 in the morning as I awoke, "What in the world am I doing?" I thought I was never going to make it. Fortunately, I eventually fell into a groove and was able to get through the distance. I felt like I was swimming slow, got passed a bunch and didn't pass too many. I got off course a little around the 800 meter mark but quickly got back on course. I swam mostly freestyle, but some breathstroke too at the beginning. We started 2 x 2 so I didn't feel threatened while swimming. I got ran into a bunch and ran into a few people as well. I know I grabbed some guy in the but around 600 meters. I just chuckled... He was swimming slower than me so I thought he could use a lift.
What would you do differently?:

I need to focus more of my training on the swim. I think given the slow performance there is alot of room to improve both time and efficiency.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

A long run from the beach to the bike stand. My legs felt like steel poles. Once I got to my rack, my bike was the last one there. I didn't get discouraged and just thought I'm doing my best, it's my first tri, I'll try to make it up on the bike. I was a little disappointed though. Once times officially came back though my time was 5th fastest for my age group.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 22m 9s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed hard on the bike, but still felt like I had legs at the end for the run. Again, a very hilly course but the hills were I normally ride were very much helpful. There were a group of 6-7 of us who pretty much stayed together and kept passing each other. I drank only water and finished 2 bottles. I took a gel at the beginning of the bike and at mile 20. I felt like I was giving it my best and this avg pace is a personal best for me for this distance. I feel like with more training I can improve on it.

Forgot to reset my bike computer before the race. I had no idea how long I had ridden or what my avg was at the time I was racing. Rookie mistake!
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

I felt like it was fast at the time. When I got to T1 my bike was the last off my rack. When I ran into T2 there were no bikes on my rack. I felt very good and quietly hoped my time on the bike was good. Once official results came back my T2 time was 3rd in the age group.

Nothing
Run
  • 52m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt like jelly when I began the run, the first quarter mile was all uphill. I had lost all track of time at this point but new if I ran 10 minute miles I would finish under 3hrs. I felt fine for the first 3 miles and fortunately met up with James, my training buddy, around mile 2. I was struggling hard by mile 4 thru 5 which were of course hilly (notice a recurring theme). Had it not been for James, I know I would've slowed down. I struggled through mile 6 and saved a little for the last 0.2.

I think I will practice doing more bricks in the future, just even running short distances when coming off the bike. I would also like to incorporate more speedwork into my workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't feel too sick after the race, mostly drank water and ate fruit. My stomach felt ok and I had to urinate quite a bit about 45 minutes after the race so I felt pretty good about my hydration status during the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim absolutely killed me time-wise. I felt ok after the swim but definitely need to improve on it. I also think doing more bricks would help me feel fresher later in the race. Both of these I will work on before my next race.

Event comments:

I thought it was well organized. A very tough course but I felt well prepared at least for the run and the bike. I would do it again. I enjoyed the challenge!

Last updated: 2005-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:46 | 1500 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/20
Overall: 0/316
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:09 | 24.85 miles | 18.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Very Hilly, first 6 miles of the bike I thought Holy Cow, this is insane. Were I normally ride there are a decent amount of hills so I felt like I would be ok but the amount of hills on this course was crazy. Then I remembered the sign, "Welcome to the foothills of the Appalachians." I should've known I was doomed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:00 | 06.21 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/20
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly course through Tugaloo State Park. Scenic run but I was sick and tired of hills by this point of the day.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-12 3:21 PM

User image

New user

Treasure Island, FL
Subject: Tugaloo Triathlon

2005-09-12 4:05 PM
in reply to: #245176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Triathlon
Was that you who grabbed my ass during the swim. I was hoping it was a cute girl.

Great job! You will do great in your HIM in october!
2005-09-12 5:07 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Great job!  Your report made me laugh because I always think the same thing for a race, "what in the world am I doing?"

A lot of times I think "oh my gosh- I am crazy for doing this, just like all my non tri friends tell me!  They're not lazy, they're right!"  Then I look around and see all the other 100's of carzies around and realize I'm not the only crazy one and feel much better! 

No matter how many races I do, I still ask myself why I do it.  And then I instantly remember and am proud that I'm racing

2005-09-15 11:31 AM

User image

Hey, congratulations on your first tri.  You are a triathlete!  Your times look great!  We can ALL use some work with efficiency in the water...drills are pretty useful, I've found.  Awesome stuff anyways   It bodes well for IMCDA that you finished your run strong even though you felt you were hurting. Nice work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Triathlon Rss Feed