General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training - post season, off season, general questions, long post Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-19 11:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: Training - post season, off season, general questions, long post
Yes, it is another beloved training plan thread. Ah, well. I have some ideas/questions, and I am always interested in the opinions of those more skilled than I.

Here's the scenario - I've trained hard this past season. Really! Check the logs! I had a reasonable season, for me. Much improved run, slightly improved bike, slightly improved swim. I can't complain, but I do anyway. I'm essentially now in post-season. I'm done with tris for the year and probably done with bike events. There is only one run event on the horizon - a turkey trot 10K in November. At this point I've taken the past week off and I'll go very light for a couple of weeks. I'm suffering a bit of mental burnout and also trying to decide what to do for the next round of training.

Short term plan: The rest of August will be some light training, probably a bit unstructured just to give me the mental recharge. Starting in September, for the run I plan to resume speed work (track with a coach/group), and LT efforts for the long weekend runs - maybe a recovery run during the week. For the bike I may do the same here - an interval day, a long LT day, and a recovery day. For the swim, I'll start swimming with a masters group that is challenging for me one day per week, and a manageable group one day. So the take home is: 2 days swim - one challenging, one strong effort; 2-3 days bike - interval, long LT, recovery (optional); 2-3 days run - interval (track), long LT, recovery (optional).

Longer term plan: Without getting into too many specific, I would like to take a periodized approach next year and target at least on HIM, maybe two around August/September. Most likely the season will start in June with a couple of sprints, late June/July a couple of olympics, and then the HIMs in late summer. To prepare for all this madness, I see this as a viable option. Again, the specific dates are somewhat arbitrary. I'm going more for concept here. I've put a * next to some bits t

Late November/December: Mostly base training. 2 days per week per sport. Little speed/LT work* Spend time in the weight room*

January-March: Major emphasis on bike work - Jorge's program, most likely. Maintain run (short interval day, long run day)* Maintain swim (2 days). Weight room?*

April-June: Ramp up the intensity across the sports. Shoot for 3 workouts per sport each week. 1 interval day, 1 LT day, 1 recovery day. At the beginning I'll be emphasizing shorter efforts - mostly intervals (3 minutes) with some LT work (for example, 10 minutes X 2). As I progress through, the focus will shift toward longer efforts - longer intervals (5-6 minutes) and LT (2 X 20 minutes).

June: Mostly a taper month due to multiple events. Similar to what I did this year. Maintain and race.*

July/August/September: Only one A-race each moth. Build intensity up to the race, taper, race, recover.* Other events are fine, but they'll be treated more as training days.

Questions:

November/December I'm thinking recovery, treat injuries, enjoy the holidays. My fear is that I'll lose what I've gained this past year. Ideas on how to avoid too much regression?

Weight room - My thought is to spend time in the weight room to build strength for the bike. If I do squats, step ups, etc. - classic strength training - will this help for the bike later? I'll also include strength work for the whole body just for balance.

January-March I really want to focus on improving my bike. I think it is lagging now. Ideas to maintain the other two while ramping up the bike efforts? I'm guessing 3-4 bike days, 2 swims, 2 runs during this phase. How about weight work during this? Unnecessary? Necessary?

June this year consisted of a lot of tapering - 3 races in June. Am I doing myself harm by packing too many races into a short time? Or, does the race intensity prevent fitness loss.

July/August/September: Most of the events I'm considering are about a month apart. This seems amenable to 2 weeks of intensity, one week taper, race, 1 week moderate effort after the race, repeat. Seem reasonable?

General swim: My primary focus is to start swimming with a different masters group that is very challenging for me. At this point I think spending some time on technique - class, clinic, etc. - will do more to improve my swim than anything. Reduce drag, swim faster. The classes will really be to train the muscles for the effort.

General training:

OK. That's really freaking long. Thank you if you made it this far! 8^)

-Kirk

2011-08-19 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3650669

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Training - post season, off season, general questions, long post

Honestly, I am not really sure what your questions even are.  But, here's how I'd approach something like this:

Aug:  unstructured training/have some fun

Sep-Nov:  Run focus with aim of new PR in 10k.  Start adding days of running so that I am running at least 5x/wk and gradually buidling my mileage.  Zero interval work, other than some strides 1x per wk.  Tempo run once every other week.  Bike and swim 2x/wk (can cut bike down to 1x if a long ride).  Bonus if I can get some coaching on the swim.  No concern for intensity on other two sports.

Dec-Mar:  Jorge's bike plan (bike 3x/wk), keep running 4-5x/wk but no concern for tempo workouts (do them if I feel particularly good, but lots of easy running is fine), swim 2-3x/wk in challenging masters group

Apr-Jun:  Get ready for race season.  Bike 3x/wk with at least one hard LT session and one long ride (replace LT session with shorter, but harder intervals in May).  Run at least 4x/wk, one tempo run, one day with some strides.  Swim 3x/wk, at least 2 challenging masters-type swims

Jul-Aug:  HIM focus.  Basically the same as Apr-Jun, but more focus on race-specific workouts (a few race-pace, race-distance efforts in each sport individually and a few race intensity bricks)

Again, that's what I'd generally look to do with the goal of getting appreciably better over the out-season.

2011-08-19 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
KirkD - 2011-08-19 1:14 PM

Weight room - My thought is to spend time in the weight room to build strength for the bike. If I do squats, step ups, etc. - classic strength training - will this help for the bike later? I'll also include strength work for the whole body just for balance.

Good advice from JohnnyKay but to this point - endurance cycling is not strength limited. Your best investment to improve cycling performance involves being on the bike.

Shane
2011-08-19 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Thank you both for taking the time to read my rambling post and to respond. I apologize if my questions got lost in the shuffle (despite having a section called "Questions" in the post.) 8^)

JohnnyKay: Thank you for the long term training analysis. Yours is much more detailed, which I truly appreciate, but it seems similar in concept to what I have. You mention running 4-5 time per week even when trying to fit in bike and swim. What does your typical week look like? Mine has generally been as follows:

M - Day off, stretch, foam roller, etc.
T - Recovery run AM, moderate swimPM
W - Bike intervals
Th - Recovery ride AM, run intervals PM
F - Challenging swim
Sa - Long run (1.5 hours, ~11-12 miles)
Su - Long bike(3-4 hours, 50-70 miles)

I'm not sure how I would work in additional running and still recover.

qsmacleod: The weight room was a point of debate for me. I've followed Gale Bernhardt programs in the past and she advocates weights for the bike, but I'm not sure if I'm convinced. I have a feeling I would be better off riding lots of hills, doing hill repeats, and LT work on something other than flat terrain. Am I on the right track here?

2011-08-19 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3651251

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

KirkD - 2011-08-19 5:21 PM Thank you both for taking the time to read my rambling post and to respond. I apologize if my questions got lost in the shuffle (despite having a section called "Questions" in the post.) 8^) JohnnyKay: Thank you for the long term training analysis. Yours is much more detailed, which I truly appreciate, but it seems similar in concept to what I have. You mention running 4-5 time per week even when trying to fit in bike and swim. What does your typical week look like? Mine has generally been as follows: M - Day off, stretch, foam roller, etc. T - Recovery run AM, moderate swimPM W - Bike intervals Th - Recovery ride AM, run intervals PM F - Challenging swim Sa - Long run (1.5 hours, ~11-12 miles) Su - Long bike(3-4 hours, 50-70 miles) I'm not sure how I would work in additional running and still recover. qsmacleod: The weight room was a point of debate for me. I've followed Gale Bernhardt programs in the past and she advocates weights for the bike, but I'm not sure if I'm convinced. I have a feeling I would be better off riding lots of hills, doing hill repeats, and LT work on something other than flat terrain. Am I on the right track here?

I'm not JK or Shane but I too struggled with the thought of how to add more running and all I did to accomplish it was add in short easy runs.  So for what you describe it would be doing an easy 15 min run on Monday, Wed, Fri and Sun - when I did it, my plan was to run every day for a month (starting March 1 - I didn't stop until June 25th).  An easy 15 min run costs you nothing from a recovery perspective.  In fact for me, I usually felt way better at the end of those runs than I did before heading out. 

2011-08-19 9:05 PM

Master
Northern IL
I've bumped up run frequency and mileage by doing more bricks.  Just going easy for 20-30 min off the bike has done quite a bit.  I'll get 2-4 a week this way, in addition to several longer runs that are there own workouts.  It's hard at first, but gets better over time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training - post season, off season, general questions, long post Rss Feed