General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddles: How long do you... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Saddles: How long do you...
OptionResults
If a saddle hurts after a week, change it.
If a saddle hurts after 2 weeks, change it.
If a saddle hurts after a month, change it.
If a saddle hurts after a year, change it.
Once a person is acclimated and fit, male or female, most good saddles work
Saddle comfort is 70% dependant on saddle choice.
Saddle comfort is 50% dependant on saddle choice.
Saddle comfort is 30% dependant on saddle choice.
Saddle comfort is 10% dependant on saddle choice.
Saddle comfort is not dependant on saddle choice.
I am slightly overweight, and can admit it.
I am 25+ lbs. overweight, and can admit it.
I am not overweight.
Saddle comfort is mostly a function of fitness.
Saddles should fit my "sit bones".
Saddles do not interact with my "sit bones".
Women need different saddles than men.
Men can suffer impaired sexual function due to damage from bike saddles.
Men cannot suffer impaired sexual function due to damage from bike saddles.
Saddle comfort is entirely individual.
I've never had a saddle that was THAT bad
Saddle comfort is 50% dependant on fit
I have never had a saddle that fit proper.
I ride 20+ miles at a time, so saddle comfort and fit is important.
This is a multiple choice poll.

2011-08-23 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3655170

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Saddles: How long do you...
Tom Demerly. - 2011-08-23 10:43 AM

"Saddle comfort is entirely individual"

I'm seeing a lot of answers gravitate toward this response: 38 votes, 14.96% so far.

That being the case, would it be correct to interpret that people are largely resistant or unaccepting of a mindset where fitness, weight, fit and acclimation over a year are more significant and beneficial than trying a number of saddles to find one that is optimal?

What would people rather have?

1. A wide range of saddles to try for a sub 30-day trial period.

-OR-

2. A set of resources to facilitate acclimation (bike fit, better shorts, time on the bike, etc.).

I'm going to say both to this Tom.  The reason being that I think we confuse the source of discomfort.  This may be lack of paying attention and analyzing exactly what's going on.  A good example is: my saddle hurts and it must be the seat because I am wearing the same shorts that I have worn for the last 6 months.  It's a sort of jump to the conclusion without rationalizing the actual issue. 

The problem is not just that your saddle hurts.  The saddle is actually just fine.  The problem is the discomfort.  So in looking at the discomfort, we have to look at what the type, location, severity, change in discomfort and so forth to pinpoint what is going on.  If you can figure out what is actually going on with your body, you can change a pair of shorts out or change the way the saddle contacts your body without actually having to change the saddle at all. 

This process takes a bit of time to rule out that the saddle is the problem.  30 days is a good amount of time, but because the saddle isn't always the problem...a little help ruling it out would be great.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2011-08-23 11:10 AM

2011-08-23 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3655331

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

jgerbodegrant, your assesment is very good- or, at least, one I agree with... Wink

I'm a pragmatist though, and I think people create their own "belief sets" when it comes to saddle (dis)comfort.

The key for our industry is to learn those belief sets- what things people believe best facilitate saddle comfort- and then provide them.

I know what works for the top 5 Ironman competitors and the guys in the Tour de France. Thing is, our industry does not sell to them, and they aren't the rank n' file user- the typical user.  

I'm learning the majority of triathlon cyclists look for a comfortable saddle interaction in about 30 days, and if they don't find that, they'd like to try something different that could potentially work better.

2011-08-23 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3655418

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Yup, right there with you.  I think my patience tolerance is about two months personally.  It's mostly due to the fact that I get sick of the saddle/trying to fix the problem in about a month and take another month to actually buy a new one and set it up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddles: How long do you... Rss Feed  

of 2