General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddles: How long do you... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Saddles: How long do you...
OptionResults
If a saddle hurts after a week, change it.
If a saddle hurts after 2 weeks, change it.
If a saddle hurts after a month, change it.
If a saddle hurts after a year, change it.
Once a person is acclimated and fit, male or female, most good saddles work
Saddle comfort is 70% dependant on saddle choice.
Saddle comfort is 50% dependant on saddle choice.
Saddle comfort is 30% dependant on saddle choice.
Saddle comfort is 10% dependant on saddle choice.
Saddle comfort is not dependant on saddle choice.
I am slightly overweight, and can admit it.
I am 25+ lbs. overweight, and can admit it.
I am not overweight.
Saddle comfort is mostly a function of fitness.
Saddles should fit my "sit bones".
Saddles do not interact with my "sit bones".
Women need different saddles than men.
Men can suffer impaired sexual function due to damage from bike saddles.
Men cannot suffer impaired sexual function due to damage from bike saddles.
Saddle comfort is entirely individual.
I've never had a saddle that was THAT bad
Saddle comfort is 50% dependant on fit
I have never had a saddle that fit proper.
I ride 20+ miles at a time, so saddle comfort and fit is important.
This is a multiple choice poll.

2011-08-22 11:15 AM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: Saddles: How long do you...
...ride one before calling it quits. And some other questions surrounding your perspective on saddle comfort.

2011-08-22 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3653667

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Saddles: How long do you...

I just bought a Cobb and I honestly haven't ridden it enough to know if I love it yet or not. But what was really interesting to me was...

My wife bought me the saddle originally, she got it in white. I wanted the black one to match the bike better. I had a race in three weeks so I rode the white one for three weeks and raced it. I loved that saddle from the get go, no numbness, felt awesome. I did the race then sent the white saddle back to Cobb to get a black one.

I put the black saddle one, went for a ride and almost broke my man parts for good. I have never been in so much pain on a bike before. Same saddle, but hurt like heck. It has been 4-5 rides since then and I still haven't got this black saddle to feel quite as good as the white saddle did.

So I guess that taught me that it is mostly about saddle position and not the saddle design. My old saddle was comfy it just made me go numb where I didn't want to. This Cobb saddle fixed the numbness but the overall comfort is going to depend on me getting the saddle in the correct "sweet spot".

2011-08-22 11:55 AM

User image

After a handful of bikes I've found that the stock saddles are okay with me. I'm a lard butt who does century rides regularly so it's not exactly the 20 mile and below crowd.

I've had more issues with tri shorts ripping me up than with saddle choice.

2011-08-22 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

Too many choices, giving me a headache.

Yes, I know it is about fit and have had 3 different fits, all came highly recommended.

I have tried 6 or 7 saddles. How long I had them on my bike varied by how much they hurt. I know some love the Adamo and really wanted to give it a good shot but after 2-3 weeks the pain never got better and was unbearable. I did most of a sprint out of the saddle. I tried the Cobb for over a year because people say 'it's not the saddle' Now I am in a Serfas saddle I have had 4 or 5 months. I wouldn't say I am happy or comfortable but it is the least horrible. It is great for rides up to 30 but after that I'm pretty miserable.

ETA: I don't think all women need women specific saddles and some men's saddles work great for women. However, after having 5 kids I can tell you I need something special that apparently isn't being made yet.

Edited by KeriKadi 2011-08-22 12:00 PM
2011-08-22 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Hundreds of miles later I'm still on the stock saddle that came with my CAAD 10.  Lately I've been thinking about replacing it though but only because a white seat would look sexy on her. 
2011-08-22 1:04 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Very good responses and insights. Thank you- I appreciate this. This shapes what I write about (and how).

It's interesting to see the responoses on the poll also. I hope we can collect some more responses there- a few things seem to be trending.

Thank you very much guys- interesting and helpful. Smile

2011-08-22 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3653904

Veteran
Indiana

The stock saddle that came on my Cannondale was flat-out painful. We are not talking good pain, HTFU pain, or pain that goes away with breaking in or toughening up. It was simply anatomically not fitted to my body. Instead of perching up on my sit bones, the saddle was between them pushing outward. And I did get numb boy parts any ride more than 20 miles (which unfortunately meant most times I ride).

Got a Selle Italia, much better. I still get saddle pain after unusually long rides (when I go say 50% over my usual distance or more). But I don't get the numb wedding tackle thing any more, no matter how long I ride. And the pain I get is more consistent with "kind of sore; I need more long rides" than "this thing is trying to pry my pelvis apart."

FYI, my Cannondale is in the low-mid range; a notch or two up from entry level. I don't see anything about the saddle that looks cheap or wrong; I'm convinced it is just the wrong shape for me.

Edited by alath 2011-08-22 1:19 PM
2011-08-22 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I've been on an adamo for 6 weeks.  It's not awesome but tolerable.  I'm NOT going number anywhere, or chaffing but from about 45:00 into the ride to 1:15 it hurts and then goes away.  I don't get it at all.  Since I don't have any soft bit problems I'll stick it out through my HIM in october but might check out something else afterwards
2011-08-22 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA

This is my first year riding and I've put over 1200 miles on my stock saddle without issues until I hit about 40+ miles and I start to get a little sore.  At this point I'm just wondering if its just a position issue as opposed to a saddle issue.

2011-08-22 2:31 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Key question: over 14% of respondents (18 votes) chose "Saddle comfort is entirely individual". This being the statistic within the context of this poll:

1. Are discussions on good saddle comfort practices of little practical use?

2. Is it best to let people try different saddles until they find the right one?

3. On a triathlon bike, do your "sit bones" touch the saddle?

2011-08-22 3:44 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Good lord, tom. :p

Here's my answers:

How long? It depends. (Some you can tell right away. Others, it takes a few weeks to "break in.")

I'm not sure what you mean by saddle comfort is determined by saddle choice, unless you are saying, "you can be comfy on any saddle" or "you have to choose the right saddle for maximum comfort" (or somewhere in between). In which case, I don't think you can be comfortable on ALL saddles, but i think the potential comfort level for each saddle falls on a continuum.

As for where I sit: depends on the bike and the saddle. The only bike I am on my sit bones for is my MTB.

I am a woman, and not overweight.

And I HAVE had a saddle that was "that bad" before. So much so that the doc at my Annual Exam thought I needed to be reported to Social Servcies as a domestic case. It took me forever to explain to her that, no, really...it happened on a bike ride.

2011-08-22 5:29 PM

Regular

I have tried pretty much every saddle that someone mentions on the forum.  Adamo, Cobb Vflow, bunch of Fizik saddles, and Profile.  I have not found one that is perfect for me  All of them make me sore after a few hours in the saddle.  I will read a post on the forum about this saddle or that saddle finally solved all the posters pain.  Will buy and give it a try.   Some are better than others.  Some will be good for awhile.

Right now I am riding a Cobb Vflow plus on race bike and Vflow max on training bike.  I like the Vflow plus better.  I was using two different Adamo saddles for a while but they started really hurting the side of my leg even when using zip ties to make thinner.

Two years ago I used the Profile Stryke for almost the entire season and it was not too bad.  Even was using on the trainer, which is the real test.  Been thinking about going back but have been too lazy to change.

For me, I have come to the conclusion that I will always be somewhat sore and just need to suck it up.

Edited by bartturner 2011-08-22 5:30 PM
2011-08-22 6:36 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
I went through a number of saddles until my bike fitter lent me the Cobb VFlow +. At first it was only ok, but by the time I had to turn it back in (about a month), it was pretty darn comfy.  Went out for a long ride this weekend on the new Cobb and had immediate discomfort.  Since I know the fitter set it up to the same specs as the loaner, I assume I need to break it in a bit.  So, I guess for me I need the right broken in saddle to be comfortable.
2011-08-22 7:03 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
I'm not too picky with my saddles. I almost used to exclusively ride a women's Selle Italia saddle (not sure of the exact model name) and tried a Specialized women's saddle. Decided I liked the Selle Italia one better, so just put the Specialized one on my track bike. It's definitely not as comfortable as the Selle Italia, but that might just be because I think I am more uncomfortable on the track bike because I don't tend to stand or shift my position up much. Anyway, it gets me through a maximum of 1 hour on track time.

My cannondale came with a Fizik Vesta K:ium. After one long ride, I was going to change it out because I decided I didn't like it, but got lazy and never did it and now I like it. The Selle Italia saddle on my winter bike is pretty worn out and I like the Fizik one better than it.
2011-08-22 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3654120

User image

Tom Demerly. - 2011-08-22 3:31 PM

Key question: over 14% of respondents (18 votes) chose "Saddle comfort is entirely individual". This being the statistic within the context of this poll:

1. Are discussions on good saddle comfort practices of little practical use?

2. Is it best to let people try different saddles until they find the right one?

3. On a triathlon bike, do your "sit bones" touch the saddle?

1) For people with ANY sort of saddle problem or issue a discussion on what works for others is worth every second people take to post in those threads. Ummm, just like any other thread. There'll be those who it doesn't pertain to and those who never realized that meant this.

2) From what I've read, yes. That's a bike shop worth returning to and doing business with.

3) Rarely. I'm generally on the ol' taint.

2011-08-22 8:08 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

I think that a saddle should be comfortable from the get go.....thats how you know that you have found the right one.

When I bought my P2, the stock Fizik Arione mashed my parts up BADLY within 45 minutes. No way was I going to "get used " to it. My LBS swapped it out for a Selle Italia SLK which was instantly comfortable. 

When I bought my R3 I had them put on the same saddle, the SLK. Imagine my surprise when it felt not wonderful but awful. I then realized that they had mistakenly given me the men's version . Swapped it out for the "lady" version and ahhhhhhh...........

Edited by aquagirl 2011-08-22 8:09 PM

2011-08-22 9:29 PM

It wasn't until I stopped buying the cheap bibs that I stopped having saddle issues.  A good quality pair of bibs/shorts solved all my saddle issues. 

2011-08-22 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

I'm on my third saddle. I'm SO picky because I'm so sensitive with what I'm feeling. If I feel a hair on my arms, it drives me batty until I remove it. Other people doesn't seem to bother them for that type of thing.  Currently, my saddle (SI Diva), is great, but I think the fit is a little off, and still need to be broken in. The one thing that does bother me from the Diva is the nose - there's a small bump on both sides....and I can feel it every time I pedal. I'm not 100% sure if it's just a little twisted to the left (I don't feel it on my right leg, only left). I will put in one more week of riding this, and if I still have issues, I'll return it and get the SI Lady. 

This is a stupid question, but, for those of who don't sit on their "sit bones". how the heck are you sitting on the saddle?!  FWIW - I'm on a road bike, semi-aggressive fit...not sure if that makes a difference. 

However, I found that I scoot myself to the nose area the other day, it wasn't that bad, but not something I could do for a long ride.   

2011-08-23 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3654717

Veteran
CyborgQueen - 2011-08-22 9:52 PM

I'm on my third saddle. I'm SO picky because I'm so sensitive with what I'm feeling. If I feel a hair on my arms, it drives me batty until I remove it. Other people doesn't seem to bother them for that type of thing.  Currently, my saddle (SI Diva), is great, but I think the fit is a little off, and still need to be broken in. The one thing that does bother me from the Diva is the nose - there's a small bump on both sides....and I can feel it every time I pedal. I'm not 100% sure if it's just a little twisted to the left (I don't feel it on my right leg, only left). I will put in one more week of riding this, and if I still have issues, I'll return it and get the SI Lady. 

This is a stupid question, but, for those of who don't sit on their "sit bones". how the heck are you sitting on the saddle?!  FWIW - I'm on a road bike, semi-aggressive fit...not sure if that makes a difference. 

However, I found that I scoot myself to the nose area the other day, it wasn't that bad, but not something I could do for a long ride.   

I'm on the si diva on my tri bike.  LOVE it.  Hated the fizik arione tri2.  The fizik almost ruined my tri bike experience for me.  I use the terry liberator on my roadie.  I tried the terry on my tri bike, but to my surprise I didn't like that either!  I'm working with a tech who used to be a tech for olympic tri teams.

So I guess it's not only individual specific, but fit specific.  I have a more aggressive fit on my tri bike, but not by a whole lot.

2011-08-23 9:43 AM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

"Saddle comfort is entirely individual"

I'm seeing a lot of answers gravitate toward this response: 38 votes, 14.96% so far.

That being the case, would it be correct to interpret that people are largely resistant or unaccepting of a mindset where fitness, weight, fit and acclimation over a year are more significant and beneficial than trying a number of saddles to find one that is optimal?

What would people rather have?

1. A wide range of saddles to try for a sub 30-day trial period.

-OR-

2. A set of resources to facilitate acclimation (bike fit, better shorts, time on the bike, etc.).

2011-08-23 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3654120

User image

Extreme Veteran

1. Yes, discussions are helpful. It is particularly helpful when people provide physical description, eg height, weight, fitness, as that is all part of the equation.

2. For me, it's all about fit and pelvic stability. There are saddles I couldn't sit on when my fit was off, and bike form was sloppy.

3. I ride a tri bike. To be honest, I'm still unclear how a tri bike can be ridden in an aero position with sit bones touching the saddle. Even after looking at anatomical drawings, I still don't get it. I'm rolled forward and (perhaps improperly so), it seems that it is the length of my crotch that is supporting the weight on the saddle.

2011-08-23 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3655170

User image

Tom Demerly. - 2011-08-23 10:43 AM

I'm seeing a lot of answers gravitate toward this response: 38 votes, 14.96% so far.

That being the case, would it be correct to interpret that people are largely resistant or unaccepting of a mindset where fitness, weight, fit and acclimation over a year are more significant and beneficial than trying a number of saddles to find one that is optimal?

-OR-

2. A set of resources to facilitate acclimation (bike fit, better shorts, time on the bike, etc.).

A saddle that will work for long rides will not feel like the Marquis De Sade designed it within the first 10 days.

2011-08-23 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3655191

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

TriBee and DanielG, I think you may be the "Outliers" that are sitting out of the "middle 85%" of the triathlon consumership.

I grabbed this post from this forum about a week ago and circulated it around the industry. I think this reflects the rank n' file, middle 85% of attitudes about saddle comfort (everything after this was e-mailed out):

"From a female contributor on the Beginner Triathlete user participant forum:

'You need a new saddle.  The one you have is wrong for your anatomy and no amount of 'tweaking' is going to change that.  You should not have that much pressure and burning only 4-5 miles into a ride.  This is not a matter of 'toughening' up the sit bones - this is fragile soft-tissue...

Which saddle is best for you is extremely personal.  Many LBS's have demo programs, so that might be an option.  Terry has tons of different saddles with a 30-day trial period (I think it's 30 days).  Some online shops have even longer trial periods.

Another great resource (and I'm assuming that you are a woman) is to go here and read the 'most hated' and 'favorite' saddle threads - chock full of information....

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72'

If you don't take the time to follow the link to the teamestrogen.com website, you will miss a long list of user experiences with a wide range of saddles that covers a spectrum from recommendation to condemnation."

2011-08-23 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3655170

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Tom Demerly. - 2011-08-23 10:43 AM

-OR-

I would rather have number 1. The ability to try until you find what works.

I still believe that the right saddle will feel good immediately. My experiences with the wrong saddle were not helped by fit, since the exact same bike fit with the correct saddle felt fine. 

Nor were they helped by shorts: again with the wrong saddle it was torture no matter how thick the chamois and how much butter I applied. Conversely with the right ( right for me that is) saddle I can ride in tri shorts with a teeny chamois and no lube and all is well.

As for time spent on the bike? Well.......I was never really willing to give it much time. Riding whilst in pain does not thrill me. 

2011-08-23 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3655280

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Thank you for those insights. Those are valuable. Appreciated. Smile
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddles: How long do you... Rss Feed  

of 2