Pacific Coast Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 19s
Overall Rank = 213/
Age Group = 35-39 *****
Age Group Rank = 35/116
Pre-race routine:

Let it be known that I'm actually 41, but raced in place of a friend who had to drop out at the last minute. So, I raced in an age group below my own. Let is also be known that with my time, I would have actually placed LOWER in my own older 40-44 AG! Got the call from him at 9pm the night before, so after packing the car, got to bed by 10pm and was up at 4:45am. Had to stop by my friend's house on the drive up to pick up the race packet. Ate a "Hoo Yah" bar and drank Gatorade on the way up. Got to the parking area around 5:30am and it was pitch black still. Hard to see anything and I had to get 1 mile to the transition area. Took a couple of wrong turns walking the bike (too dark to ride!). Finally, got light enough to ride, and arrived at T. Yet again was fortunate to find an end of a rack, so I set up there and realized I'd forgotten my towel, so I had to chance into my tri shorts by wrapping my jacket around my waist and dropping trou quickly. After setting up, I took a little stroll around the area to find the bike exit/enter and run exit/enter. Hit the portapotty and saw a couple of friends, and then it was time to race.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the ocean, which was CHILLY, and swam around a little to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 16m 43s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Suprised to see my time being somewhat slow. I did my usual swimming on the outside of the pack to avoid the punch-up and added some yardage to my swim as a result, but was trying to focus on my form as I'd adjusted it with my last training swim with a high elbow catch and pull. This is a warmup race for me, so I wanted to use it as a tuneup for next weekend's HIM. I have managed to control my adrenaline at the beginning of the race, a problem I had earlier this season. Finished a bit ahead of MOP in my age group.
What would you do differently?:

One day I'll get over the dislike of swimming in the crowd. Other than that, I felt I swam well. Not sure why my pace was slow. I swim 1:30-1:40 per 100 in training.
Transition 1
  • 04m 21s
Comments:

The T1 time included a solid 100 yard run UP A STEEP RAMP from the beach to T1. Made sure to jog up the ramp even though others walked. Made it to my rack and was hot, so I decided to lose the tri top. Quickly removed it along with the wetsuit, and into the socks/bike shoes, helmet, sunnies, and then I was off.

Not wear the tri shirt in a sprint race when the sun is starting to peak out. That really only took about 3 seconds. Had a good transition otherwise.
Bike
  • 37m 27s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Took me about 15 seconds to clip into my pedals. Lame! Once out, I pretty much mashed it. My bike computer said 13.2 miles with an av. speed of over 21mph, but the course was "supposed" to be 12 miles. Spun up the hills where I could, and climbed out of saddle on others. Tried to push it hard, and pedalled down most hills. There were some fast riders out there, so I got passed a little, but passed others equally.

Pedal down EVERY hill. I coasted a couple hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Got in fast, racked my bike quickly, put running shoes on, visor on, grabbed race belt and rolled out. Ba da bing!

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 21s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I have never been a "fast" runner, but my run time, given the hilly course, was decent. Jammed my rubber band kick in the last 200 yards. Took me about 1/2 mile to get my run legs loose.
Took advantage of the 3 run aid stations by dumping one cup on my head and one in my mouth. Got a little better drinking from the cups while running. Also, made sure to tilt my head back when dumping water on my head to avoid the soaked sock syndrome. Worked fine.

More speed run training.
Post race
Warm down:

Headed straight for the food tent which was the best spread I've seen in any of the 9 races I've done. Wolfed down a bagel, banana, two cookies, a Krispy Kreme donut (they were FREE!), smoothie, orange drink, water. Yum!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gave it about 90%. It was a last-minute tune up for my "A" race which is next weekend!

Event comments:

Great race! Awesome post-race food and great volunteers, and a good announcer for the event. Plus, only about 25 miles from my house.

Last updated: 2005-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:43 | 880 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 41/116
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Short sleeve full suit
Course: A somewhat protected beach. 200 yards out, 450 yards north and another 200 or so yards in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:21
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:27 | 12 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/116
Wind: None
Course: Two loops on straight-but-hilly section of Pac Coast Highway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:21 | 03 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/116
Course: A sort of tight loop north along a run trail on the bluff paralleling PCH, and then down Las Trancas Canyon, out onto the sand for about 3/4 mile, then up a brutal ramp back up to the bluff for the final 1/4 mile to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes