Georgia Multisports Productions
65@sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 33s
Overall Rank = 178/316
Age Group = m 35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/44
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:20 A.M. - Ouch. Was tired and slept terribly. I had a hour and a half drive to the race so I decided to snack on the way. I ate some dry shredded wheat squares (maple and brown sugar) which are a great source of carbs, 44g per serving. These seemed to work well for me. I'm not a big eater before a race, but knew I could use some nutrition. Drive up was easy.

Parking was within 100 yeards of Transition for me, so that was nice. I set up transition and was ready to head down to the beach. Forgot my gels, but Steamy let me use her two bananna hammer gels that she didn't want anyway. Thanks Steamy.

Event warmup:

Short swim. Just a few strokes to get a feel for the water. Getting out and waiting for the start was kinda cold. Other than that, nothing.
Swim
  • 38m 42s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm such a noob. I tend to think more about how cool and strange it is to be swimming in the middle of a lake, than anything else. I have an off season plan to get better, but for now, I just survive. I REALLY enjoy the swim though. I can also tell that it is not as hard for me as it was in the beginning.

I also gollowswam this race. mostly free, but also added some side strokes in there as well. Mostly to maintain bearings on course direction.

What would you do differently?:

Just get better. Train, get a coach. take lessons that will actually help me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

T1 was ok, I can get faster. My slow point is running from transition entry to my rack, usually trying to gain composure from the swim. I will probably never wear socks again at this distance or below. I was talked into it this time for unknown reasons. I have had much luck previously with no socks. No blisters, pain etc.

No Socks, move faster.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 6s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 19.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a good ride. Felt strong and was ready to push it. For me, my time was not bad. Compared to my age group competition, it was slightly below avg.

Nothing really. Hydrate a bit better maybe. I was not hurting, but I think I could have drank a little bit more. Possibly use endurox in the aero bottle.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Well, coming into T2, I fell off my bike.. again. I NEED to remember to unclick BEFORE the dismount line. I need to practice taking my feet out of my shoes BEFORE dismount. I need to get better at all of that. The rest of transition was fine.

everything as far as dismounting is concerned. Speed up a bit in transition.
Run
  • 53m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I am a better runner than this. I need to find out why I am running in the low 50's when I should be in the high 40's. I will be in the high 40's by next season.

Run Faster.
Post race
Warm down:

water and wait for rest of my friends to come in. nice time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

was sick a few weeks back, missed training, travel over the holiday, missed training. Just a lot of missed training on my part.

Event comments:

Another fine event by Georgia Multisports. I totally enjoy their races. Also would like to thank Tricomet for cheering us on and taking pics. She did a great job. Well, she got a lot of guys I don't know, but that was good.. for her.. and steamy.

Last updated: 2005-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:42 | 1640 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/44
Overall: 0/316
Performance: Average
Suit: Tyr Tri top and shorts
Course: Swim was a bit longer than 1500, but well laid out. I liked it. Seems like in every swim that if the sky is clear, then there is at least one portion where you are swimming directly into the sun and the sharp rising angle, which makes it hard to see. Not a big deal, but something to think about in race prep.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:06 | 26.2 miles | 19.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/44
Wind: Some
Course: Excellent loop course that I would rate on the fairly difficult side. Interesting scenery, farmland.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:53:02 | 06.21 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/44
Course: Rolling course through a campground. All hills. No flats. I loved this couse. Best tri course yet. I am not a fan of long straight aways. This course had a ton of turns, and I totally enjoyed it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-14 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Tugaloo Triathlon
no longer blank space.

Edited by atl_runner 2005-09-14 10:08 AM

2005-09-14 10:31 AM
in reply to: #246632

User image

Veteran
Smyrna
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Triathlon

Good thing that I picked up that humongous tri bag last week so that I can now pack enough for me AND you.  Actually, glad that you took the banana gels - just the thought of them would make me want to throw up out on the course.

Also - I can still beat you on transitions even if you forego the socks.  Just no complaining the next week when you hurt because of the blisters.

Finally, I never granted Comet permission to use my camera to take pictures of unknown boys.  That was all her own doing.  I don't need them.  I've got enough to deal with in my corner. 

BTW - if your name is atl_runner, why are you letting a girl beat you on the run?

2005-09-14 10:47 AM

User image

Queen BTich

There were only 3 boys other than you and Joe I took pictures of and I don't want to hear any shit about it. They were Karl, James, and Helmet Boy. He deserves to have a picture taken of him and made fun of.

2005-09-14 10:50 AM
in reply to: #246658

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
well, lots of girls beat me. I like it that way.
Now, back to triathlons. I happened to get beat (in our circle of friends) by a girl who won her age group. That's nothing to be ashamed of. Do you know who she might be?
2005-09-14 1:27 PM
in reply to: #246678

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Well, we all were beaten by a 52 year old woman who finished in 2:40.  But, that doesn't detract from the incredible accomplishment of finishing this race.  Congratulations.
2005-09-14 1:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Good Job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Triathlon Rss Feed