General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacer Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-02 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Pacer Question
I am likely pacing my good friend in his first ultra next weekend - The Run Woodstock 50 Miler in Michigan.  The 50 Miler is broken down to three loops and he is allowed a pacer on the last lap.  The race starts at 6am.  From those who have paced or completed an Ultra I'm looking for feedback on how to approach my pacing assignment and do's or don'ts that you have learned from your experiences.  Thanks!

2011-09-08 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3670676

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Subject: RE: Pacer Question
http://ultrunr.com/crew.html

With my crew the biggest thing is to keep me moving forward and to make sure I am eating and drinking enough.
2011-09-08 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

I would say part of it depends on your racer's goals - "just" to finish? a time goal? Win or podium spot?  Also I think a lot of personal preference is involved - what motivates some might not work for others.  

Number one thing I hate is hearing "You're almost there!" (with 20 miles to go, or any distance more than about 1/4 mile).  

What I would like is someone to take my mind off the last few miles, but then I'm usually just trying to survive.

I would just ask your runner (well before the race) what are his expectations of you, as a pacer.  

Good luck to both of you.   

2011-09-08 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
You refer to this person as a good friend so I'm going to assume that you have run together enough to be comfortable with each others pace and can somewhat read their body language. The biggest thing for me is that picking up a pacer is like a shot of fresh air. Getting to the spot where your pacer is waiting for you becomes your only focus. If I can just make it to my pacer then I'll have someone to chat with and keep my mind off the endless miles that I have already covered and the ones yet to go.Hopefully you'll be able to read them well enough to know if they want silence, if they want to hold a two way conversation, or they want you to talk to them but they just can't hold up their end of the conversation. If in doubt, ask. And be prepared for them to have severe and immediate mood swings. Don't take anything they may say personally, they don't mean to at you. You just happen to be the person within ear shot.Get to the meeting spot early. They may be having a good day and far exceed their estimates. Do NOT make them wait for you to get ready to go.Make sure they eat and drink. Even if they can only stomach one bite that is better than nothing. I had a pacer probably save a race for me because I didn't think I could handle eating anything at the aid station. He said no problem you don't need to eat the whole thing just take one bite. I couldn't handle 'eating' but I could handle one bite. He continued to 'one bite' me for a couple of hours but it kept me going.It will be an awesome experience for both of you. Let us know how it goes.
2011-09-08 5:50 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Both you and your runner should know the race rules for pacers (they vary race to race) and it'll be your job to "remember" them when your friend is oxygen deficient or just wants to cheat. 

The runner should carry his own food/water.  You can generally run ahead and get what he wants so he isn't waiting.  You should find out whether pacers must provide their own nutrition or not.  The race shouldn't have a problem if you top off your water at the aid station, but may/may not have budgeted food for pacers. 

The runner should carry his own gear.  If he wants a jacket for later in the lap, he should tie it around his waist, not have you carry it.  (You might be prepared to finish the run after dark.

Neither of you should impede another runner (nor another pacer). 

Beyond that, it's usually trying to address the runner's "mental demons" late in the race including loss of appetite, fatigue, frustration, etc. and help the runner make safe decisions.  Don't be afraid to ask him how you can help him even if you asked 5 minutes earlier, he can be in an entirely different world (you'll probably be perceptive enough to figure it out).  The more you can focus on positives, you can focus your runner on positives (and the "almost there" with 10 miles to go isn't really "positive")  If he is accurately projecting arrival time to a landmark or aid station, let him keep doing so.  If he's not projecting, don't ask.  If he's consistently arriving later than his projections, shift the discussion rather than let him dwell on those "lost" minutes. 

I'll also suggest phrasing your questions carefully.  Instead of asking "are you hungry?" or "what do you want to eat?" (where "no" or "nothing" might be the response) ask him "cookies or pretzels?"  where the option of not eating isn't available. 

2011-09-09 11:10 AM

When you are on the tee don't bring up the sand trap, lake, or out of bounds.  They will likely hit it there.  Oh wait.  Thats the caddie....

2011-09-13 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Thank you everyone for your feedback.  The experience was good for both of us.  Horrible conditions on th etrails due to 12 hours of rain but we had a blast.  I prodded him a bit to make sure he was drinking and eating and tried to read his cues on walking and when I could get him running again.  He finished in 10:55 and our 16.67 mile loop together was in 3:37.  No records there but I think his last loop was he fastest.  Thank you again!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacer Question Rss Feed