General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beautiful Back Roads Century - Cartersville, GA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-15 1:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Beautiful Back Roads Century - Cartersville, GA
http://www.bikebbc.com/
I'm considering participating in this one and am looking for feedback from anyone who might have experience with this race or similar races. The site includes maps and cue cards for each of the distances. Do bike races normally do that? Will there be signs on the course marking turns as well?

Should a n00b biker even consider participating? (The guys in the pictures look really serious and experienced!)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by little1 2005-09-15 1:57 PM

2005-09-15 2:21 PM
in reply to: #247463

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Beautiful Back Roads Century - Cartersville, GA

L1

Boy,this event sounds great.  In most century rides, a large percentage of riders go at a very social, leisurely pace.  Some hardcore types race it but it would be a shame to do that on a ride with the amenities described for this one.  Just go and have enjoy the food, scenery, and being out on your bike.

TW

2005-10-17 6:48 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Did the Tony Serrano Century the weekend before last and the guy I ended up riding with for the last 25 miles recommended it highly ... said it was well organized and well marked (so much so that he rarely had to check the cue card).

Thinking about doing it next year.

How was it?
2005-10-18 6:48 AM

User image

Giver

One thing to consider about riding in Cartersville is this strange string of incidences involving a person or people throwing tacks on the road. Apparently, there's some animosity towards cyclists that residents that live there have, possibly involving cyclists disposing of waste (like Gu packets) in their lawns, peeing in public or possibly just form the cyclists clogging up "their" roads.

From the Southeastern Cycling Website (www.sadlebred.com):

"Cartersville/Brewery Information From Tom Hanks. Good stuff, people! Listen up!

"Cyclists,

They're baaaack! On the Brewery ride yesterday one of the riders in my group had a pad lock thrown at him by a passing motorist. Another rider was hit with something. Today over 5 riders that I know of hit tacks in the road by Roger Kahn's Farm on the Beautiful Back Roads 45 mile route at the brewery. One of those riders was the world famous Fox Ferrel.

I received an email a few days ago from Jim Edwards who is the organizer of the Beautiful Back Road Century Ride. Recently he has been in communication with an angry woman from Cartersville who wants to prevent cyclists from parking at the brewery in hopes that it will reduce the amount of cyclists in the area. It turns out her dog caused an accident with a cyclist, and her insurance company had to pay $10,000 for a "couple of skinned knees" (her words, not mine). She's tired of cyclists taking up the roads and not riding in single file. She's tired of people peeing on the lawn at the church. She's not alone. Right or wrong we don't need angry locals who hate bikers.

I have a possible solution. Don't ride on the standard BBR routes, learn to ride around them like the N.A.R.C. riders do. The local terrorists are focusing on the BBR routes. They paint over the markings in the road and they laid hundreds of tacks in the road today. I heard about it in the parking lot. I didn't see any tacks because I ride with N.A.R.C.

Or just don't bother to ride at the brewery. Go someplace else. Silk sheets, Columns Drive, North Carolina, etc.

These terrorists aren't going away. It's going to get worse and it's not all their doing.

Some of us cyclists need to grow up. When someone yells car back get in a single file. Especially you old timers. You set a bad example for the newer riders. Why is it that some idiot always stays out in the middle of the road when there is a car back? Stop getting naked in the parking lot and stop peeing in clear view of the public, if you can't hold it go in the woods out of sight, and don't pee anywhere near the brewery. Stop being rude to the locals. There is only a few that are ruining it for the rest of us. If you see someone disobeying the rules of courteous cycling, let the violator know that you don't appreciate their behavior. Don't be afraid to call them obscene names. Try this, say, "Hey **shole get in a single file", or "Hey **shole don't pee in public!" If they come at you in a threatening manner, then hit them with a stick until they understand your point or if there isn't a stick around then hit them with the heel of your hand and drive their nose bone into their brain. That's what I was taught in the U.S.M/C. I have found that this technique works.

Nothing is going to change that angry lady's mind, and the more allies she has, the sooner they will shut down the brewery and we will we suffer for it. The fewer angry locals, the better it will be for us. Get a clue. Forward this email to everyone you know who rides at the brewery. This is some of the finest riding in GA, don't blow it."

Trish's Note: One of my teammates got "tacked" today on the 65 mile route. I also know of a team that was training up there last weekend that got "tacked." All but one rider suffered a flat. Be careful, and be nice to the locals!"

2005-10-18 9:10 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
I don't even ride up there anymore or send my athlete's up there for those simple reasons....those assholes up there can't keep their dogs chained up so its a constant sprint for 65 miles, they do things like tack you and glass or throw things at you, and it is because of a few discourteous cyclists giving us all a bad name. That lady who had the dog cause an accident should have been jailed for not keeping her animal constrained. Its really unfortunate that this has come to pass, it is very scenic and a challenging course up there.
2005-10-19 7:30 AM

User image

Queen BTich
I did 90% of my training up there. I only rode the 29 mile loop, it was always safe and free of tacks. I just did it over. and over. and over. and over.

2005-11-11 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
I actually did this ride, the BBWC and it was great.  Very nice ride, no dogs, no angry drivers.  Just a very nice day on the bike.
2005-11-15 7:56 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Fwiw, heard last night at the post-TNT workout burrito+beer-fest ("Welcome to Moes!" that some 20+ riders at a group training session/open ride fell victim to flats due to tacks ... and that another rider got run off the road.

While I'd love to find an established route outside of the crowded suburbs here, Cartersville doesn't sound like a very bike friendly place.

Doing Burnt Mountain this weekend.  Will post findings re: course ... if it is good, then I'll also post the cue sheet.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beautiful Back Roads Century - Cartersville, GA Rss Feed