General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A-Race Reschedule: Training Suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-07 8:03 AM

Master
Northern IL
Subject: A-Race Reschedule: Training Suggestions

I just had to reschedule my A-Race due to a major family emergency.  I have an idea of what I'd like to do, but interested in other suggestions to incorporate as well (since that's how we learn).  The race was for this weekend, but there is no way I'll be ready mentally or logistically for a HIM by then.  I signed up for one on Oct 2nd.  I'm thinking of doing the next few weeks at what would be close to normal training volume over the summer, as much as I feel anyway since I tend to put in some volume.  Then taper for the two weeks prior.

I'm fine physically because nothing actually happened to me.  I had just done the first week of a planned 3 week taper, week 2 was messed up, but did get in a few mountain hikes and a 3 hr ride with the mountains.  Now in what would have been week 3 of the taper, I've been picking it back up towards the normal volumes as I feel up for it.

I'm thinking 2 weeks instead of 3 for this one as I did get in some rest time, going under normal training volumes for just over 2 weeks, and likely won't have several days in a row of cramming in as much as I can fit in over the next few weeks, pre-taper.  So I shouldn't have to taper as long to peak for the race.  There will definitely be an assortment of mid, longer and effort workouts for each discipline, several bricks a week.  Not planning really hard efforts, especially with the run as that's one area I seem to get hurt with (just volume has done wonders for me anyway).

Any other suggestions or things to do/watch for in this?

2011-09-07 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3675870

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: A-Race Reschedule: Training Suggestions

I should add that the course profiles aren't terribly different, new one might be slightly easier.  Bike courses have no major hills, but lots of noticeable ones to get a sizable total.  Looks like the new run course will add a longer hill at the far end.  And will also add that this is the end of Year 3 of triathlons for me.  Third half IM (ran at Rev3 Knoxville earlier this year), and like the 15th event.

Logs are not posted here as I'm fairly new to the site, but have posted everything for the last few years on Strands (might need to log-in, sorry).

Edited by brigby1 2011-09-07 8:35 AM
2011-09-07 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3675870

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

You're putting in decent volume, but not enough, IMO, to merit a three-week, or even two-week, taper.  One week should do it.

If it were me, I'd do a 3-week (well, at this point, 2.5-week) race-specific block, then taper for a week to the race.  By 'race-specific' I mean that your key workouts are aimed at race-specific fitness, so longer intervals on the bike, maybe a tempo run one week and 2-mile repeats another week on the run, and longer intervals (maybe 400s) in the swim.  I would do a race rehearsal (I like a run-bike-run for this) next weekend (i.e., 10 days from now), given that it sounds like this weekend (which would be my preferred time to do it) is not an option for such a long workout.

2011-09-07 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3675953

Master
Northern IL

Thank Michael!  Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  Like hearing that I should go even shorter with the taper.  The 400's sound good for swimming, I'll likely do 400-500 yd intervals.  Have had good success with this in the past.  I may put in one of the variety swims if today and tomorrow don't go as well.  Yesterday felt a little awkward, but could just be not swimming for a week and hopefully comes back fast.  The type I'm thinking is usually ~3,000 yds and has an assortment of things (drills, distances & efforts) listed out very specifically (name, reps, distance for everything) in the past workouts.  Great for getting all the muscles working hard, but not as much for pace setting or duration.

The run-bike-run brick sounds like a very good idea.  Since you said for a race rehearsal, I would take this as doing like 5-6 miles for each run and ride about what the course distance would be, in my case 56 miles.  I was planning to ride the Rev3 Wisconsin routes next weekend (Oly + Half dist), but will switch this in instead.  Terrain should be close enough too.  I like to make sure and became familiar with terrain as I get closer so I know how to navigate it better.  Earlier is just going hard as fitness is fitness then.  I am planning a major ride this weekend.  Like the Arcadia ride from my postings.  It's long, has a number of hard sections, but is less specific than the rehearsal would be.  Riding is my favorite of the 3 disciplines too, so is the easiest to handle going long mentally and I can get a lot of solid work in as I feel.  I had to meet or exceed FTP at Arcadia to make it up these hills, even with a 28t.

In addition to what you said for running, I'm going to keep up the run volume, and try to increase a little if I can.  Running has really stunk for me starting in mid-late June because of calf trouble.  The expectations I have in the next few weeks would be for adapting more for the distance than for increasing run fitness.  Threshold is still strong (for me), as indicated in the duathlon and two tempo runs in August.  The distance could be interesting with the (lack of) volume over the summer.  Hopefully the swimming and especially biking help with that, at least parts of it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A-Race Reschedule: Training Suggestions Rss Feed