General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for info/guide to TENS and EMS therapy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-07 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: Looking for info/guide to TENS and EMS therapy

Hi All,

I'm currently in PT for chronic Trap/Rhomboid pain, and for a bike accident injury.  This is the first time I've been to PT and its interesting.  I receive electro something therapy in eight places along my shoulder down to my glutes.  I'm not getting real clear answers from my PTA about the therapy other than its purpose, and she isn't able to explain the mechanisms behind its touted pain relief effects.  I can see that its a common practice, but I sure would like to learn more.  I've been firing blanks with internet searches and I can't even find a good book on amazon!

Can anyone help me out?  I'd also like to read about "at home" treatment, consumer level machines, and treatment protocols.

TIA

2011-09-07 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3676279

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Looking for info/guide to TENS and EMS therapy
it is supposed to aide the muscle in firing and it does.  Look at the Compex units by DJortho.  They are touted as a ercovery tool but they are basically a TENS unit. 
2011-09-25 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I used IFC (Interferential Current) for many years on patients and found it helped a lot.  I never got into the specifics of how electrotherapy works though.  With IFC and to a lesser extent with TENS the current helps to flush inflammation out of the injured tissues (decreasing inflammation and swelling) and bring in oxygen/blood and antiinflammatory products to take away pain, swelling and speed up the healing process.  In theory at least it is also supposed to improve/enhance the healed joint/muscle so it heals as near to the pre-injured strength and function.  I did find mixed results with TENS.  Some people loved it and others felt no improvement.

If you're looking for a TENS unit of your own in Canada we have a readily available unit by Dr. Ho (Google it).  It seems to be decent quality but get one with 4 electrodes rather than 2.  There are many other good versions and even the cheap ones work but don't go too cheap.

2011-09-25 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

I ended up buying a "TwinStim Plus II" from amazon.  Its a 4 channel unit with TENS and EMS function.  In all, I think there is 8 modes.

Based on you description of interferential currents, it almost sounds like light duty cardio as a "recovery run".  Is that right?  Something to get blood flowing the area to flush out the bad stuff and bring in the good stuff?

I've been using my unit sparingly, maybe twice a week for the last couple weeks.  To me, it seems almost as if it creates a pain block in the area.  My PT Assistant that has been working with me was on vacation all of last week, but she said that if I bring it in, she'll help me with settings and a plan.  So I've got that going for me ... which is nice ....  (name that movie)

I'll do some reading on Dr. Ho, thanks.

2011-09-25 11:14 PM

User image

Veteran

my first experience was 16 years ago after a complete knee replacement. It worked wonders for getting me back on my feet. It helped to build some atrophied muscles, and helped with alleviating soreness after hard PT sessions. After deciding that paying for messages was way more expensive than buying my own TENS I bought the Prosepra unit below. I am quite pleased with it. It has enough power to really make the muscles contract hard, and is gentle enough to make the message mode relaxing. For the price it is well worth it. You will blow $36 on junk anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Prosepra-PL009-Electronic-Pulse-Massager/dp/B000XHNBLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317010305&sr=8-1

2011-09-27 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
I also have a unit that has both TENS & EMS with numerous settings for each. The unit I have came with a little book to explain how it all works, but I don't remember it all to recall it from memory. The basic broad strokes of it are:

TENS = Pain relief
EMS = to aid in muscle repair

I recently tweaked a hammie, so I have been using the EMS setting to aid in its recovery. So far, it seems to be working great.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for info/guide to TENS and EMS therapy Rss Feed