General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quick question about staying warm on race day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-15 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Subject: Quick question about staying warm on race day?
Newbie here....

I am coming out of the water in the late season sprints almost over heated in a full wet suit.
I could swim in a tri suit and do fine but here is my worry.

On the bike section I am getting really cold. Last race I was going to add ashirt but was too warm from the swim. Knew I'd regret it less than a minute into the ride. Tri suit isn't drying out in the legs and body (De Soto or Sugoi... are there better suits?) until well after the entire race is over. Beginning to hurt my ride time and is hurting the run at this point from being too cold at the transition. Gots lots of body fat and am finishing middle of my AG....although the best leg is the swim, then bike. My run sucks. This isn't helping as I have to warm up an old ankle injury before running hard on it.

I don't want to loose anything on the transitions and am afraid of overheating on the run.
What is everyone else doing on the bike...or am the only weenie out here whining?

My thought for this weekend is ditch the wet suit and swim in a tri suit and with the time saved in transition I can add a wind vest for the bike and drop it again for the run. But again worry about body core temp in a 18 min, 1/2 mile swim. Water temp should be right @ 70+/-. Race air temp should be between 55/60..perfect conditions once I am warmed up.

Thanks for any help!

2005-09-15 3:41 PM
in reply to: #247560

User image

Veteran
Gif-sur-Yvette
Subject: RE: Quick question about staying warm on race day?
70°F and you need a wetsuit for a 1/2 mile swim? I'd drop the suit (unless you need the added buoyance) even if it helps you save one minute or so from your swim time, and get a light windbreaker for the bike as you suggested.
2005-09-15 4:51 PM

Veteran
Iowa
I have a similar kind of question. I'm doing my first sprint on Sun and the conditions will be like yours--55/60 air temps, don't know about the water. I did a test swim in the pool yesterday in tri shorts and a nike drifit bra tank. I'm concerned about how cold I'm going to be jumping on a bike, whizzing around with wet clothes on. Don't really know how long they'll take to dry. I could ditch the bra tank, wear the top of my TYR two-piece, and throw a shirt on before the bike, but which--tank, short sleeve, long sleeve?? Don't want to get too warm on the run but also don't want to change clothes a lot. Any suggestions?
2005-09-15 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

I was struggling with the same thing, as I have a race on Saturday that will be a 1.5 k swim, and we will be getting out of the water at about 39-40 degree air temp.  My solution, after talking to a couple of the bike/tri shops, is:

Wear the wetsuit, with only tri shorts underneath (this may not work as well for the ladies)

At T1, take an extra few seconds to dry off well - put on my tri top.  It is sized a little large, and I have practiced putting in on "wet".

Then put on a zippered wind vest and arm warmers.  Leave the vest zipped, and just pull over your head.    The beauty of this approach is that you are warm, but the minute you start to overheat on the bike you can remove the stuff "on the fly" without having to stop, take off the helmet, etc.

Then, when the run comes around throw all that stuff away at T2 - since I usually am really hot when running. 

I went through a dry (wet) run this morning, even with the extra dry-off time and the wind vest I still was able to get out of T1 in less than 2 minutes. 

Good luck,

Dennis

Edited by slow&steady 2005-09-15 5:00 PM

2005-09-15 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Wet Suit? Good point on water temps. Way more folks swimming in them here than without.
Guess that only means most of us are gear freaks I'm very, very comfortable in the water but a wet suit also takes a lot of effort out of the swim. The wet suit makes the swim more fun and less work for me. I also make a point of not hammering myself on the swim. 18 min half is a pretty casual pace.

Gone both ways on the WS, with and without. This time I think I'll try a speedo style tri swim suit and a full zip wind vest for both bike and run. Gonna hammer the swim a bit just to stay warm. Race organizers say 70 on surface water temps. County lake buoy currently says 63 surface temps just off the swim course.

Anything has to be better that being chilled the entire bike leg and then having to run is a cold, wet tri suit.
2005-09-15 5:46 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
At Ralph's in March it was a bit chilly and it was raining. The water temperature was warmer than the air temperature. I put on a pair of leg warmers and a pair of arm warmers for the bike portion. Worked like a charm and it was easy cheesy.

2005-09-15 11:16 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Are you hammering hard enough on that bike to get cold?
2005-09-16 1:19 AM
in reply to: #247754

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
us50090 - 2005-09-15 9:16 PM

Are you hammering hard enough on that bike to get cold?

Working at max on the bike for the majority of the sprint. But not generating enough heat to dry my suit out in the current cooler conditions. The wind on the bike and a wet trisuit is pretty unpleasant for the entire ride.

Open to suggestions if you think the bike tempo is just too slow.

Dennis & Chuck...good stuff, thanks for the tips!

Edited by Nob 2005-09-16 1:23 AM
2005-09-16 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
I'd keep the wetsuit on so that core temp is up a bit when you start the bike.  I find my clothes dry out pretty quickly, and I warm up fine.  Arm warmers are a good choice.  Roll them like a condom before hand, and then in transistion slip them on your wrists and roll them up your arm.  You could even do that on the bike if you wanted to save some time. A vest or windbreaker is also a good choice.  I wouldn't bother with anything on the legs.  They'll warm up fine.
2005-09-16 9:43 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
I'd second the suggestion of swimming with wetsuit, but without shirt on underneath. A dry shirt will make a huge difference. And, you state you enjoy swimming more in your wetsuit.

Here's a tip that worked great for me at my last tri. Spray Pam on you lower arms and lower legs before putting on your wetsuit. It helps immensly with wetsuit removal. So, do that, the wetsuit is off super fast, and then put your shirt on, and you're back to even on time, theoretically.

Remember, the bike leg is a large percentage of your time in most tri's...so be comfortable so you can work at your best!
2005-09-16 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

My season opener is usually in May when it is cool and often wet.  I bring a nylon shell that I put on over my tri suit during the bike leg to cut down on the wind.  (I don't need leggings unless the temperature drops down below 50F).  By the time I have completed the bike leg, I am dry and warmed up for the run. 

2005-09-16 9:47 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
you could move to south florida where the where the air temp this weekend will be around 90, water temp around 85 .. ..fixing my previous disjointed post!!

Edited by Mimir98 2005-09-16 9:48 AM
2005-09-16 10:02 AM
in reply to: #247879

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Mimir98 - 2005-09-16 10:47 AM you could move to south florida where the where the air temp this weekend will be around 90, water temp around 85 .. ..fixing my previous disjointed post!!

Oh Hush!!!! :-Þ Though actually it was that hot earlier this week up here.  Supposed to be a more civilized 75 on Sunday.

2005-09-16 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Thanks everyone. Great advice.

Been raining here for two days and should continue through Sat morning. Buoy temps dropped from 72 to 68 over night on the warm end of the lake. Still holding @ 63F closer to the swim location. Over night low was 49F with a high of 54F.

Gonna use a wet suit on the swim and a wind shell on the bike. Hopefully we'll see no wind and a little sun.
2005-09-16 3:39 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Good luck!! Hope all goes well, and we'll be waiting for your race report.
2005-09-18 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help. Race was great...close to 70 and sunny by the time we finished. The water was mid 60s so the wet suit was good. Because of the fog we got a late start. Had a PB of 16 min on the swim and for me a good bike in the low 40s. Run sucked worse that usual. Partly because I had really cold feet walking around on the wet grass waiting on the start and partly because I was surprised on a couple of the nastier hills of the ride. Dumb not bringing soxs and flips to keep on till the swim started. Dumb not riding more hills. Both would have helped a lot. And partly because I suck running! But a PB overall by a couple of minutes so I am happpy with the end result.

A thin bike vest over my tri suit saved the day on the fast downhill sections of the bike course where I was able to make some time back (41mph through the radar gun as I was speeding up in one d/h section First time in 3 races I have been warm and dry by the time I started the run!! Oh and I love my new bike!

Amazing inspiration from the all of you getting out and doing it every weekend!!
Thank You!

Edited by Nob 2005-09-18 3:41 PM

2005-09-18 4:28 PM
in reply to: #247767

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I did a tri this morning with an 18 mile bike leg, and got on the bike soaking wet at about 8 a.m. and was a bit chilled in T1 but getting on the bike and racing fixed that in about a New York second ;-) I see a lot of people cruise - not race - their tris, no doubt you will be cold that way. Maybe wear a sleeveless wind breaker/vest?
2005-09-18 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
As a reference we were 51F 30 minutes into the wave starts this morning with some good fog still on the bike course. Dew was bad enough I finally pulled my Oakleys for better visability. Without the suggested bike vest I'd have still been cold on the bike and wet on the run even with the sun just starting to break through this morning.

6 TRIs in 8 weeks, while no Lance, there is no cruising on the bike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quick question about staying warm on race day? Rss Feed