General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting accustomed to new bike and bike shoes... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-11 3:08 PM

New user

Subject: getting accustomed to new bike and bike shoes...

I am a long time runner who will just be starting tri's.  I got a new road bike the other day, and I am having a tough time getting used to the whole cleat locking in place thing.  Not to the actual locking in part, but to the "my feet are locked into these pedals and I am so used to just putting my feet on the ground part".  Please tell me it actually does take some getting used to....

I actually was not aware that there were cleats that actually locked into the pedal...

2011-09-11 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3681170

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: getting accustomed to new bike and bike shoes...
runner0302 - 2011-09-11 3:08 PM

I am a long time runner who will just be starting tri's.  I got a new road bike the other day, and I am having a tough time getting used to the whole cleat locking in place thing.  Not to the actual locking in part, but to the "my feet are locked into these pedals and I am so used to just putting my feet on the ground part".  Please tell me it actually does take some getting used to....

I actually was not aware that there were cleats that actually locked into the pedal...

Yes, it actually does take some getting used to

You can practice on the trainer if you have one, or in a hallway leaning up against the wall, or better yet on a grassy field. Assume you're going to fall at some point. Also it's pretty likely that you'll get the hang of it fairly quickly and then hardly think about it. Until you get to a stop sign and totally forget and tip over at 0mph!

Make sure the cleats are adjusted properly. Sometimes they are too tight when new and it's harder to get unclipped than is necessary.

2011-09-11 4:03 PM

There is a learning curve to them.  From my experience I was great with them the first several weeks - as I was constantly aware of having to unclip at stops.  After that, they felt natural and I grew too comfortable with them and I had a few tumbles at stops.  Then it becomes second nature to unclip.  I honestly don't know how I rode before my clipless pedals.  
2011-09-11 4:05 PM

New user

Whew - Thanks guys.  I few better now!  I fell in my garage today and felt like a total fool, especially when my 3 year old asked "mommy, are you okay?"

My next question - is it necessary to do a running start to get on the bike so you dont tip over?

2011-09-11 4:20 PM

User image

Pro

No, you will probably find you have a favored foot (leg really) that you will clip in first. Use that to get rolling while holding yourself up with your other leg, then clip in your other foot. There is no penalty for pedaling around a few times without being clipped in and your shoe on the pedal, by the way.

Practice on grass, it hurts less and you won't scratch up the new bike. Good luck, and have fun!

2011-09-11 9:23 PM

oh and you WILL forget to unclip at some point (i'm still relatively new to it all too).  I have friends who are experienced triathletes and one who is a competitive cyclist all tell me that.. and its true.. you'll pull up to stop and forget to unclip.. and just sort of topple over.  Don't sweat it.. apparently its sort of a right of passage.  .  

2011-09-11 9:55 PM

User image

Regular
Baton Rouge, LA
Ok..this might be a dumb question..but why are they called "clipless" if they actually clip into the pedals?...lol
2011-09-12 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3681700

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN

Vivacity - 2011-09-11 9:55 PM Ok..this might be a dumb question..but why are they called "clipless" if they actually clip into the pedals?...lol

Because in the old days, pedals had toe clips and straps (see picture).  Todays pedals do not have toe clips...so they are "clipless".

(150px-Bicycle_pedal,_quill_type,_early_1980s,_Campagnolo_SL_road.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
150px-Bicycle_pedal,_quill_type,_early_1980s,_Campagnolo_SL_road.jpg (9KB - 9 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting accustomed to new bike and bike shoes... Rss Feed