General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer/Sufferfest question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-12 8:39 AM

User image

Subject: Trainer/Sufferfest question
I've been on the trainer twice now using sufferfest. As a relatively new cyclist, my riding abilities are really weak. When it comes to sufferfest, I have only been able to complete about 2/3 of it before I hit the wall and drop down to almost no resistance and spin for me warm down. My question is , should I reduce the intensity to be able to complete the workout or should I maintain the intensity and my endurance will follow?

If I were running, I know I would reduce the intensity to try to complete the duration of the exercise, but I often see here that when riding you should ride often, mostly hard, sometimes easy which makes me think I should maintain the intensity and the endurance will follow.

2011-09-12 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3682011

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Trainer/Sufferfest question
I would keep up the intensity.  Thats the type of training these videos provide, high intensity, short time/distance.  They are designed to break you, so you must be doing it right!  Keep it up and you'll be able to complete the whole thing soon.  its a mental battle too.
2011-09-12 11:06 AM

User image

Thanks DJ, that's what I was thinking as well.

FYI - I posted the same question at the sufferfest forum and David (the creator) replied and recommended I reduce the intensity to the highest level that I can complete the workout. While we are supposed to suffer, he wants us to suffer for the entire duration and not cut it short.

I suppose most of it has to do with me not really knowing my abilities(very new to this) and being unable to properly judge appropriate intensity.
2011-09-12 11:51 AM

Master
Northern IL
Do what David said, highest intensity you can stand and still complete the workout.  Don't worry if you don't get it perfect early on (as you said you're new), dropping off close to the end or being just under in effort is still a pretty solid workout.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer/Sufferfest question Rss Feed