General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long to train for 1/2IM or IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-12 9:54 PM

Subject: How long to train for 1/2IM or IM
If someone was intested in starting to train for IM/ or a half, how long of training would your recommend for someone who was in average shape. I'll have to spend a lot of time swimming to get the fundamentals down. Or does one typically do a few seasons of Sprints/olympics first?

2011-09-13 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3683572

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: RE: How long to train for 1/2IM or IM
I never competed in any triathlon ever and signed up for my first HIm  this summer, however the swim was canceled . I've had a strong running background as I have completed 10 marathons and did some cycling on the side. I had already been training to run a marathon since June and cycled about twice a week since May.I decided to sign up for HIM Steelhead towards the later part of June . The race was August 14th.  I shocked myself completing it in 4:35. I think the swim would have been near 50 minutes. I did about a half hour better than I thought I would. So I guess it depends on what you mean by average shape. I was doing about 6-8 hours of cardio a week before I decided to go for the HIM. I peaked at about 15.5 hours. I've been told that some peak near 10 hours. I'm signed up to do the full IM Lake Placid in July and plan on getting some racing in so I know what the swim will be like with a million people kicking in your face. I was also told to start at the back of the swim pack. I would say if you are in somewhat shape a good 3 months would be suffficient. Practice, practice, practice on the swimming though! I took a lesson which helped some too
2011-09-13 9:48 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

HIM:  16-18 weeks.

IM:  28-32 weeks.

YMMV.

2011-09-13 12:46 PM

I have never ran a marathon before. Are there any recomendations with regards to training plans for HIM or IM? Or does everyone customize them significantly.

Swimming would be starting from scratch

Running. Ran track 6 years ago in high school. Some now, but am still trying to get my shins accustomed to running

Biking. Have an entry level road bike and have raced BMx in the old days and cycled inconsistantly for a while

Thanks again.

2011-09-13 12:50 PM

japarker, is that 32wks after significant basework? By how fast IM fill up, I'd probably have better luck finding a hIM
2011-09-13 3:01 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My recommendation is always to start smaller and build up. I realize there is a strong desire for some to jump out of the gates and prove they can do a full Ironman for their first race - or something similar - and that's fine. But if you don't have a consistent training background (I'm not sure what you mean by "average shape") for a number of years, you might enjoy the journey more if you ease into it. 

Especially if you are, as you say, starting swimming from scratch. How far can you swim without stopping right now, and how long does it take you? 
Unlike biking and running (IMO), it's much more difficult to "fake" the swim portion of a race.  You really need to be confident in the water - especially at these distances.

Other advice would be to take a look at some free training plans on this site and others. That will give you a good idea of what you're looking at. The plans on this site will also give you a base like "you should be able to swim XXXX yards nonstop, bike XX miles nonstop and run XX miles nonstop before starting this plan."

Edited by lisac957 2011-09-13 3:02 PM

2011-09-13 5:39 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Typical training plans for an IM or HIM are 20 weeks, but they assume some base level of fitness at the beginning.  I'd say it's possible to go from the couch to an IM in a year if you're smart about your goals and training.  I'll also say if that's what you want to do, don't feel like you have to "build up" from a sprint to an Olympic to a half to an Iron race.  Doing a sprint tri isn't going to tell you much about whether you'd like or do well at an IM, so if you want to skip it, go ahead. 

The bold part is critical.  Learn good technique in all disciplines.  Then be sensitive to how your body responds to training stresses so you can avoid overuse injuries (starting the IM healthy is much harder than finishing the IM).  Then you have to balance risk (injury) and reward (going faster). 

2011-09-13 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3685004

McFuzz - 2011-09-13 5:39 PM

Typical training plans for an IM or HIM are 20 weeks, but they assume some base level of fitness at the beginning.  I'd say it's possible to go from the couch to an IM in a year if you're smart about your goals and training.  I'll also say if that's what you want to do, don't feel like you have to "build up" from a sprint to an Olympic to a half to an Iron race.  Doing a sprint tri isn't going to tell you much about whether you'd like or do well at an IM, so if you want to skip it, go ahead. 

The bold part is critical.  Learn good technique in all disciplines.  Then be sensitive to how your body responds to training stresses so you can avoid overuse injuries (starting the IM healthy is much harder than finishing the IM).  Then you have to balance risk (injury) and reward (going faster). 

Interesting thoughts. I'm not even sure where I'd start with regards to training. I went to BN and looked at some text. Sprint tris do not seem interesting to me. Where would you recommend me to start? There's a half ironman late July 2012. IMWI just filled up, which is the closest one to me (Minneapolis).

I also need to  consider (an economical option) to a different bike aside from my specialized allez.

2011-09-14 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

BT has a number of training plans including a beginner IM.  (I've half-followed the BT Intermediate IM plan both times I've done IM races. )  

A 20-week IM plan assumes you can ride 3 hours, swim 45-60 minutes, and run 1.5-2 hours at the beginning of the plan.  They usually build volume from there to 6 hour rides, 90 minute swims, and 2.5-3 hour runs.  If this is what you want to do, spend whatever time you can getting to where you can comfortably do the start of the plan.  Now is not the time to be an overachiever and start hitting 4+ hour rides on the theory you'll be "more" ready to start the plan.  Doing that will generally result in burnout and/or injury and you can't stand to even look at their bike 2 weeks before the race. 

As for the bike, what you have is already adequate, so unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, ride what you've got.  (This assumes that the bike is close to the right size for you.

2011-09-14 12:47 PM

User image

Regular
Akron

I would suggest to sign up for a half marathon first and do some biking and swimming for your cross training. A HIM would probably be the best to try first, but you could probably do a full IM a year out if you trained smart!

User image

Regular
Akron

I would suggest to sign up for a half marathon first and do some biking and swimming for your cross training. A HIM would probably be the best to try first, but you could probably do a full IM a year out if you trained smart!

User image

Regular
Akron

2011-09-14 6:49 PM

So, ironman Louisville 2012 (late August) could be a chance? I did 21 x 25 yds in the pool after lifting. It was a humbling experience. The 25yd intervals were taking 30secs, which I assume is turtle pace? I have a friend who swims and will probably enroll in some lessons.
2011-09-14 7:05 PM

Regular

A lot of variables.  Your goal for the race is going to drive the training program.  Are you just trying to finish?  Under 13?  12?  11?  10?

I do think people typical progress from Sprint to Oly to 1/2 and then to full.  But there is no reason you have to.  But that is how I progressed.  When I started I had never imagined doing a full IM and it was not my goal.  My original goal was just to get fit but it turned out I was not too bad at doing races so became hooked.

Doing an IM is an entirely different animal than sprints and oly.  A full IM is a lot more about efficiency than the shorter races.  Which I find really interesting.

If you are planning on doing a full IM and it is a WTC event then you have to register a year in advance and just registration is a decent investment.  So it might be a good idea to get a taste with shorter events to see if you want to really put in the hours.

My ideal year is to start with a 1/2 IM in the spring.  That gets my butt going on training.  Then do local shorter races during the year.  Then finish with a full IM in the fall.  For me this really helps with burn out.  The long hours of training for an IM can really start getting old so you definitely want to start as early as possible but you do want to pace yourself some.

Personally, I only put in the long training weeks starting about 12 weeks out.  It works out this way because I am doing shorter local races up to this point.  But most put longer training week in earlier than I do.

All bets were off for me this year as I spend the season injured.  But having registered for a IM in the fall a year ago and unwilling to walk away from the investment I have had to train with the injury the best I can.  Which in itself has turned out to be an interesting excercise.

Edited by bartturner 2011-09-14 7:07 PM
2011-09-14 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3687016

bartturner - 2011-09-14 7:05 PM

A lot of variables.  Your goal for the race is going to drive the training program.  Are you just trying to finish?  Under 13?  12?  11?  10?

I do think people typical progress from Sprint to Oly to 1/2 and then to full.  But there is no reason you have to.  But that is how I progressed.  When I started I had never imagined doing a full IM and it was not my goal.  My original goal was just to get fit but it turned out I was not too bad at doing races so became hooked.

Doing an IM is an entirely different animal than sprints and oly.  A full IM is a lot more about efficiency than the shorter races.  Which I find really interesting.

If you are planning on doing a full IM and it is a WTC event then you have to register a year in advance and just registration is a decent investment.  So it might be a good idea to get a taste with shorter events to see if you want to really put in the hours.

My ideal year is to start with a 1/2 IM in the spring.  That gets my butt going on training.  Then do local shorter races during the year.  Then finish with a full IM in the fall.  For me this really helps with burn out.  The long hours of training for an IM can really start getting old so you definitely want to start as early as possible but you do want to pace yourself some.

Personally, I only put in the long training weeks starting about 12 weeks out.  It works out this way because I am doing shorter local races up to this point.  But most put longer training week in earlier than I do.

All bets were off for me this year as I spend the season injured.  But having registered for a IM in the fall a year ago and unwilling to walk away from the investment I have had to train with the injury the best I can.  Which in itself has turned out to be an interesting excercise.

Thank you. I need to see how my shins hold up for running. I could do the hIM in Kansas in June then IMKY (I read it fills up near the end of the year). I need to think ahead if I want to make something happen

2011-09-15 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3687230

User image

Expert
mrbeachbum2 - 2011-09-14 11:01 PM

Thank you. I need to see how my shins hold up for running. I could do the hIM in Kansas in June then IMKY (I read it fills up near the end of the year). I need to think ahead if I want to make something happen

There are a couple other races you could think of.  WTC:  Ironman Florida November 3rd 2012, Ironman Arizona November 18th 2012, non-WTC: Rev3 September 9, 2012, beach to battleship (End of October), great floridian (october).   The non-WTC events don't fill up (or if they do, not until a lot closer to race day.

Personally, I would advise against going from 0 to IM in one year. I think it is asking to get injured, but there are people who do it.  (Note: you aren't starting off on a good foot with shin splints right now).

2011-09-15 7:49 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
Sorry about the multiple posts. My computer froze up and it didn't look like it posted.ooops
2011-09-17 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3687382

Daffodil - 2011-09-15 6:19 AM
mrbeachbum2 - 2011-09-14 11:01 PM

There are a couple other races you could think of.  WTC:  Ironman Florida November 3rd 2012, Ironman Arizona November 18th 2012, non-WTC: Rev3 September 9, 2012, beach to battleship (End of October), great floridian (october).   The non-WTC events don't fill up (or if they do, not until a lot closer to race day.

Personally, I would advise against going from 0 to IM in one year. I think it is asking to get injured, but there are people who do it.  (Note: you aren't starting off on a good foot with shin splints right now).

So consider a HIM then year after IM. What do you recommend to understand more about nutrition and meals during training and the week? I glanced at a tri diet book at barnes and noble, it seemed sub par. I do not recall the title.

2011-09-17 8:48 PM

Master
Northern IL

Have you started doing anything yet?  Like getting in 1-2 times a week for each of swim/bike/run.  You learn a lot along the way for everything.  That includes the latest question in nutrition.  These boards will help make informed decisions to help narrow things down, but they will not find the exact answer for everything.  It's too complicated.  Keep asking questions (always), but know that trial and error are a big part of the learning process here.

Don't write off doing sprints or Olympics before the big events.  You can have the big ones in mind for long term, but the short course ones are good learning tools for race day conditions.  I've been using them for hard efforts.

Edited by brigby1 2011-09-17 8:50 PM
2011-09-17 11:32 PM
in reply to: #3690826

brigby1 - 2011-09-17 8:48 PM

Have you started doing anything yet?  Like getting in 1-2 times a week for each of swim/bike/run.  You learn a lot along the way for everything.  That includes the latest question in nutrition.  These boards will help make informed decisions to help narrow things down, but they will not find the exact answer for everything.  It's too complicated.  Keep asking questions (always), but know that trial and error are a big part of the learning process here.

Don't write off doing sprints or Olympics before the big events.  You can have the big ones in mind for long term, but the short course ones are good learning tools for race day conditions.  I've been using them for hard efforts.

Have started the running and swimming. With regards to cycling, it's usually too dark to get outside by the time I get home. I bought a trainer tire, so I'll install that soon.

2011-09-18 1:56 PM

Veteran

It's possible in a year.  I went from couch to ironman in 10 months.  I had 7 years of experience in sprints and 1/2 im's.  I took 7 years off while having kids and just came back to it so I had some mental issues figured out it was shaking off the dust losing the weight and prepping the engine. 

I am interested in hearing why sprints and Olympics are not attractive to you.  Most of us just don't go out and do an Ironman.  In preparation, most of us do 5 or so sprint through 1/2 im's.  Its kind of like our main season in preparation for the superbowl. 

This is an incredible sport that is also incredibly difficult for the average person to walk into without significant training.  Most people underestimate just how difficult a sprint or oly is.  Its not just the three components separate. A 10k after hammering on the bike and swimming for over an hour is totally different than being able to run a 10k

I used the BT free programs.  I started with the sprint program.  Then when the volume met up with the Olympic week 1 I started that.  Then when the volume was getting closer to the ironman plan I started that  You have to work backwards from the event week though for planning purposes.  I planned on finishing the Ironman plan 4 weeks before my event knowing injury and life would happen.  I had to repeat a couple weeks because of a broken toe and that saved my season.

Good Luck

2011-09-19 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran

If completing an Ironman next year is your goal, I say go for it.  Here are a few thought:

• Cut out lifting weights
  • Start doing 3 swim, bike, run sessions a week
  • Buy Don Fink's Be Iron Fit book and start his program 30 weeks out from IM Louisville

If you follow this plan to a tee, you will need to find a HIM in mid-June to complete as he suggests a HIM at week 24 of his 30 week program.  It is my belief that someone that is in average shape can easily complete an IM within a year's time if they are committed to the training.  You can miss a few training sessions here and there if life gets in the way, but I wouldn't recommend skipping a week's worth of training while you go on vacation.  You have to stay consistent.

Again, the above is my opinion if your goal is simply to complete an Ironman within the next year. Being competitive would call for different advice.

Best of luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long to train for 1/2IM or IM Rss Feed