General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new to the sport and need some support Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-13 3:14 PM

Subject: new to the sport and need some support
Hi all! I am new to the sport of triathlon and would like some advice on a few things ( ie. where is the best place to train in uptown New Orleans? How to train on a very small budget? , etc.)I just got done reading "when fat guys tri" and feel inspired to take control of my life. I am currently 230 pounds and only 5'8. I have not exercised seriously in 7 years, so I need to ease back into things. No old injuries to worry about though. Please, please help me!

2011-09-15 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3684809

Westwego
Subject: RE: new to the sport and need some support

There is a club called GNO tri.  http://www.gnotri.com/  They swim at the Lake and have rides that leave from the Lake.  I have not attended any yet, but would like to one day.  I think they swim on Wednesday and ride on the weekends.  Not sure though.  Good bike rides from the zoo on the levee to the north.  I have gone at least 20 miles out and back.  I think you can go even further, just have not made it out that far yet.  Running can be done at Audubon Park, 2 miles around the park.  If running long distances, you can always go out on St. Charles and back to mix things up. 

If you can join a gym, Elmwood has pools on S. Clearview and I think UNO has some that you can use for cheap also (I never been to UNO either). 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new to the sport and need some support Rss Feed