General Discussion Triathlon Talk » peak training week after B race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-13 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: peak training week after B race

My A race (oly) is in three weeks.  On the plan I am following this week  is my "peak"  for training hours. I did an Oly on Sunday and while I promised myself  I would take it easy I left almost everything I had on the run course.  The result is I am feeling pretty beat up and sore.  I did my short swim for the week yesterday but had to take it at an easy pace. 

HOw should I proceed from here?  Should I take a day off (or two) and resume training a few days behind schedule or should I push through training at a lesser intensity until the soreness fades?

Also, I know I should have taken it easier or not have raced. Lesson learned.  Just trying to figure out how to go from here.

2011-09-13 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3685000

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Subject: RE: peak training week after B race
Hard to say not knowing a few things. If you're a 40 something AGer, recovery will take longer, and yes you should take some extra time off. If you have been religous in your training, you will be fine taking an extra day or so. As the saying goes, I'd rather be 5% undertrained than 1% overtrained. Kind of unfortunate it comes during your peak. You would probably be alright keeping your volume, and decreasing your intensity a little. Soon after your taper will begin and intensity should remain high while volume decreases. 3 weeks out also is enough time to see benefit from the training you do now on race day. 2 weeks out or so is in that time frame where you won't see much benefit from the training you do. Good luck.
2011-09-13 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3685033

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: peak training week after B race

mroger82 - 2011-09-13 7:12 PM Hard to say not knowing a few things. If you're a 40 something AGer, recovery will take longer, and yes you should take some extra time off. If you have been religous in your training, you will be fine taking an extra day or so. As the saying goes, I'd rather be 5% undertrained than 1% overtrained. Kind of unfortunate it comes during your peak. You would probably be alright keeping your volume, and decreasing your intensity a little. Soon after your taper will begin and intensity should remain high while volume decreases. 3 weeks out also is enough time to see benefit from the training you do now on race day. 2 weeks out or so is in that time frame where you won't see much benefit from the training you do. Good luck.

35y/o.  I have been religous with the training and the plan.  Thanks for the input

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » peak training week after B race Rss Feed