United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Portland on Friday to pick up friend Kelly. Drove down and stayed overnight in Corvallis with my uncle and aunt. Did not want to have to leave Portland at 4:30am on Saturday. Staying in Corvallis meant only a 25 minute drive to check-in.
Event warmup:

Checked in at 6:45am. Picked up awesome swag bag - new cycle socks, super flasher bike light, loaf of Dave's Killer Bread. Nice! Went over to American Legion hall for breakfast provided by Monroe Sharing Gardens, Rudi's bakery, and other local businesses. Yummy peach oatmeal, lots of fruit, bagels, PB, and coffee. Morning was very, very chilly (45F). Wore tights and arm warmers. Probably should have worn a long sleeve jersey as I got very, very cold during the big descents.
Bike
  • 6h 45m
  • 100 miles
  • 14.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved everything (except the wind!) on this ride.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a terrific vegetarian dinner cooked by the folks at Monroe Sharing Gardens. Listened to live bluegrass music and ate a whole bunch. The ice cream from Lombard Dairy was amazing! Thanks everyone!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really - I was well prepared for this ride. Would have done more long rides if my schedule had allowed, but the interval training seemed to adequately prepare me,

Event comments:

Great ride!

Last updated: 2011-09-18 12:00 AM
Biking
06:45:00 | 100 miles | 14.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Loop course that had pit stops at four local farms where they fed us amazing food (Gathering Together near Corvallis had potato batter donuts. I could have eaten a dozen). Two BIG climbs through the Coast range. I was absolutely freezing after we left the first pit stop - the sweatiness from the first climb plus the damp cold morning really got my teeth chattering. The second hill cured that though! And the second descent was like a two mile long roller coaster. Huge banked turns at 40mph. So fun! The wind picked up in a huge way when we got out into the flat farm land. Definitely appreciated being able to draft with Kelly. Being alone would have been really tough. The ride is limited to 100 riders, so people were very spread out. Most roads were in great shape, but we did ride quite a bit of chip seal. We had a great time meeting so many other folks who support sustainable, local agriculture. This ride will definitely be on my calendar next year.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right