General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2011-09-20 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Alright folks, they event is sold out, payments have been processed and now it is time to focus on 9/9/12. Lets get this thread off to a good start and keep in rolling all the way up to race day. I would like to beat the thread count of IMLP I believe last year, which had the highest count on BT. Let pass along all the knowledge that we have, share stories, push each other, and prep ourselves so we can all have a very succesful 2012 race. To get things started lets get some information out of each and everyone of us.  

Name: Chasingkona/Ben

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2010

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? It's my backyard, lived off the bike course while growing up and spent a lot of my childhood on/around the run course and many drunken nights in the heart of the run course State Street!

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? To put as solid of a race as I can, leave it all out on the course, and get ready for my first KQ attempt in 2013.

What are you most looking forward to? That feeling the minute before the cannon goes off and running down that finish chute!

Veterans any advice you can give early on? If it is your first time, soak it all in from the day you signed up until you cross that line, don't kill yourself with a time goal, rather just embrace everything that is Ironman Wisconsin. YOU ONLY GET ONE FIRST IRONMAN!!!

Edited by chasingkona 2011-09-20 3:43 PM

2011-09-20 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3693947

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Name: Harleyclone / Aaron

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2011

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I'm from Iowa and its the closest IM and within driving distance, plus I really enjoy the town of Madison.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? To have a much better race than this past year.  Need to iron out some a nutriational game plan for raceday and shoot for an under 15hr finish.

What are you most looking forward to? To be honest the finish line....but to enjoy the race and the atmsophere much more than I did this past year.  I didn't have the race I wanted and didn't enjoy the race at all.  The atmosphere and volunteers are wonderful and I would like to soak that in more this next year.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? X2 on the time goal...shoot for a finish, but put in the time training and especially have a gameplan regarding your nutrition.  If your nutrition fails, so does your race experience.

Edited by harleyclone 2011-09-20 3:51 PM
2011-09-20 7:12 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Name: Experior/Michael

What is your Ironman resume? IMKY 2009, B2B full 2010

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I grew up in Madison, so it's a homecoming of sorts.  I like hilly courses.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? OK, I'll go ahead and say it:  this is my KQ attempt.  I'll be at the 'top' (aka oldest) in my age group, so maybe it'll be tough, but I give myself half a chance!

What are you most looking forward to? Showing up at the starting line ready to race.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? 99% of the battle is getting to the start ready to roll.  Make sure that getting there is fun!

2011-09-20 7:32 PM

User image

Atlanta
Name: Megawatt / Tim

What is your Ironman resume? IMCDA 2011

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? It's close to my parents allowing them to see me race. Plus I have 4 other friends that are racing and wanted to do this one.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? As with IMCDA, to finish. Second goal is to beat my IMCDA time if the day goes well.

What are you most looking forward to? Racing with my friends.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? I am not sure I would consider myself an IM veteran but two things made my first IM successful. First, I followed my training plan religiously. This got me well prepared for race day. Second, I took it easy on the bike and used a 12/27 rear cassette. This saved my legs for the run. There is also one things I would definitely suggest for nutrition. I made the mistake of taking some cola at about mile 14 of the run thinking I could use the sugar/caffeine boost. Big mistake. Tied my stomach in knots and had to walk for two miles before it settled down enough to run again. My lesson from that is to stick with your nutrition plan and stick with what works during your training.

Edited by megawatt 2011-09-20 7:37 PM
2011-09-20 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI

Name: WI_tri_guy / Bill

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? It's my backyard

What are you goals for IMWI 2012?  Most importantly to finish again.  But I'd like to drop at least an hour off my previous time.

What are you most looking forward to?  Training on the bike course next spring and summer

Veterans any advice you can give early on?  Enjoy the people you meet and the entire ironman experience.  On race day, soak it all in.  Get your nutrition plan dialed in before race day.

2011-09-20 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past

Name: Force (Jeff, aka Justjeff, DoJ)

Ironman Resume: MOO '09, MOO '11 (DNF - bike and I took a beat down from a car three weeks out), AZ '11

Why MOO?: I'm a Badger. It's local. I love the atmosphere and I have many friends (locals) with which to train and race

Goals for 2012 MOO: I don't typically state goals publicly, but an obvious and safe one is to improve upon my '09 result.

What am I looking forward to? The drive to Madison on Friday morning, hooking up with friends, lunch at the Great Dane, walking around the square, floating in the water, knowing that I have trained well and I will execute a good race and the calmness that will bring, the many ten second conversations I'll have during the day, the after race fatigue and "glow", the post-race massage, and hanging around 'till midnight, giving energy to others and feeding off it too.

Advice for the newbies (words of wisdom): You get the benefit of ignorance just once. Enjoy the company of your fellow racers.

2011-09-20 8:24 PM

User image

Illinois

Name: *cap* / Doug

What is your Ironman resume? IMFL 2007 and 2010

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? After doing IMFL twice I want to challenge myself on a more difficult course!

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Have Fun ,Finish, and meet new Friends !!

What are you most looking forward to? The whole event, I love the 3 days around and IM event. I just volunteered at IM KY.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? If it is your first time, Relax ,Have Fun and enjoy the experience. NAIL your NUTRITION and do not overtrain!!

2011-09-20 8:44 PM

User image

Expert

looks like everyone responding so far are not iron newbies interesting. perhaps we are all just the ones waiting with baited breath for this thread to start?

Name: Daffodil / Laura

What is your Ironman resume? IMFL 2010

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin?  This will probably be my last ironman for quite a few years.  DH and I are going to start a family sometime after the race.  I had to chose between challenging myself to finish a harder course (I kind of suck at hills on the bike) or challenging myself with a lofty time goal.  Decided to go with a different course.  I have quite a few friends who have done IMWI, so I kind of gave into peer pressure.  Posted on facebook which race should I do, mostl people picked IMWI, so here I am  

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Finish with a smile on my face, and hopefully hear Mike Reilly say those magic 7 words.  (he didn't announce at Florida last year - I heard my name, but it was in a long list of people crossing the finish line within the same minute.  I would like to improve on my IMFL time, but it is too early to know what kind of time I will be capable of. 

What are you most looking forward to?  Enjoying training, getting to know a different group of BTers over the next 11 month and 19 days and having a blast on race day.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Funny, someone else said stick to the training plan.  My advice would be don't stress if you have to miss a workout.  I missed a long run in IM training because I was at a wedding for a friend I hadn't seen in a couple of years.  I stayed at the reception way later than I should have and couldn't get up at 7 am to do the run (we had a 7 hour drive home that day).  Never regretted missing the run and I know I would have regretted leaving early and not getting to visit with my friend .

2011-09-20 9:38 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Name: Quincyf / Quincy

What is your Ironman resume? IM Newb, IM70.3 Racine 2011, IM69.1 Steelhead 2011Yell

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin?  I live in Chicago.  I had all kind all kinds of crazy schemes to get DH to sign up for an IM (let's go to Cozumel, it's a vacation, let's do IMAZ, we can hang with family in NM after, etc.)  But he looked at me after tracking our friends last Sunday and said, "Well, are we going to sign up for IMOO, or what?"  So I put the computer in front of him and said, "sign up and hit send."  So he did.  And so did I.  It makes sense because all of the other races in the area are geared towards prepping for IMOO and we live close so we can ride the course and drive up for the race.  Heck, our babysitter's boyfriend lives in Madison, so maybe the kids can even see us finish (maybe this is not a good thing???).

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Finish.  Also, I'd like to finish.  And finally, I'd feel really great if I could just finish.

What are you most looking forward to? Veterans any advice you can give early on?  Finishing. Being part of the IMOO experience...as a finisher.  So there.

Edited by quincyf 2011-09-20 9:44 PM
2011-09-21 5:26 AM
in reply to: #3694186

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Name: Suzy

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2010, IMWI2011

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I live on the bike course!

What are you goals for IMWI 2012?  Way too early for me to set goals, other than to execute the race plan. This year I had a front cable break 3 miles into the bike so goal would be to avoid that happening again!

What are you most looking forward to?  Seeing how much stronger I can get throughout the 6+ months of training.

Veterans any advice you can give early on?  The ironman experience is so much more than race day, enjoy the training. And for those who are newbies, don't sweat the clock, just enjoy yourselves.  There really is only one first IM experience!

2011-09-21 7:23 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

Name: wiky/Rob

What is your Ironman resume? IMKY 2009, IMWI 2010, and IMWI 2011.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I love IM primarily because it gives me a goal to organize and motivate my training all year.  I prefer a late summer IM because of work/family schedule.  I live in KY, and I love doing IMWI because I have lots of family in the Madison-GB-Milwaukee areas that I get to see on race weekend.  Plus the IMWI course/race is well done.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? To swim a little better and run the entire marathon for a change.

What are you most looking forward to? A year of solid training culminated with a fun extended weekend with family and friends and a little race.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Enjoy the journey.  Cliche, but appropriate.

2011-09-21 7:40 AM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI

Looks like I am the first "newbie" so I'll be looking forward to hearing the advice from all the veterans!

Name: lrunfit/Lisa

What is your Ironman resume? None - this is my first!

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Mainly because it is nearby (I live in the Milwaukee area) and I can have my family and friends there for support.  Also I can ride the course many times before the race since it is close by.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Next season will be my 3rd season doing tris so my main goal is to finish happy and to have enjoyed the race.

What are you most looking forward to? Finishing!  Also the training - I think I like training more than I like racing

2011-09-21 9:20 AM

Name: Eric V.

What is your Ironman resume? This will be my first IM

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin?  Accepted the challenge from a high school friend.  We ran our first marathon together when we were seniors in high school in November 1987.  This will be a bit of a 25 year reunion.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Since it's my first, enjoy the training, get to the start healthy, enjoy the raceday atmosphere and finish!

What are you most looking forward to? Training with my old friend again.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? I'm all ears.

2011-09-21 2:32 PM

User image

Milwaukee, WI

Name: Brad

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Wisconsin native. UW alum. Beautiful, nearby course.

What are your goals for IMWI 2012? Improve on my 2010 time.

What are you most looking forward to? Training with old friends and making new friends. Crossing the finish line.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Keep smiling. Through the training, through the bumps along the way and especially through the race. It's a privilege that we get to do this. There is likely someone or several someones who are making a sacrifice for you to train. Make the most of that gift.

I'm falling on the side of "follow your plan religiously" - unless you are sick, injured, or really, really beat. It got me across the finish line with a time that made me happy.

2011-09-21 3:16 PM

User image

Regular
Waterloo

Name: ersnyder3654/Eric

What is your Ironman resume? Rev3 Cedar Point FullRev 2010/IMWI 2011

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Really enjoyed the bike and run courses the first time around, the hills keep the bike from being a draft-fest, and it's reasonably close to home.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Have a great time training and racing, enjoy the experience.  This will be my last ironman before I retire from IM for a few years to have kids/be involved in the raising of said kids

What are you most looking forward to? Getting out there and training and racing all summer long.  The actual IM race is just icing on the cake.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Don't overcook it on the bike, stick to the nutrition and hydration plan, and don't get too caught up in performance goals.  HAVE FUN!!!!

2011-09-21 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,

Name: melle/Mike

What is your Ironman resume? I was a volunteer at IMWI 3 times.  Does that count?

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? close to home.  The atmosphere is amazing.  Most of my friends are in the area.  

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? 1) to finish 2) I do have a specific time in mind but that will mostly depend on how training goes and if I can stay relatively injury free.  

What are you most looking forward to? training, the start and the finish.  

Veterans any advice you can give early on? 

2011-09-21 5:02 PM

User image

Oshkosh, WI

Name:wcocco/Walinda

What is your Ironman resume? Non-existent. This will be my first. Yikes!

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Close enough that my family can come. Also I really love Madison, such a great town!

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? 1) Not die. 2) Cross the finish line, I've heard it feels amazing!

What are you most looking forward to? The training, to see how far I can push my body, and how great I feel doing it!

Edited by wcocco 2011-09-21 5:04 PM
2011-09-21 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Indiana
Volunteered in 2010 and raced in 2011. Will probably volunteer again in 2012. awesome race - it was my first IM.

Also really enjoyed the 2011 race board here very much - so I will probably be stalking this one!!
2011-09-21 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3695834

User image

Cincinnati, OH

Just wanted to jump in and say good luck to everyone as you begin training for next year.  I just finished IM MOO this year (my first IM), and I loved every bit of it.  It was an amazingly challenging day, I went from the highest highs to the lowest lows and everything in between, but I wouldn't trade anything about it - it was everything I hoped it would be and more.  And the finish line, wow.....well, for those of you who've done it, you understand. 

Especially for you first-timers - enjoy the journey.  Enjoy everything about your training, and try really hard to remember all the details of race day.  It will be here before you know it.  Good luck!

Steve

2011-09-21 9:32 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Name: Idealmuse/Debb

What is your Ironman resume? IMOO 2010 and 2011... well mostly.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I had a bad race in 2010 and missed the last run cut-off @ mile 133. In 2011 I was cutting it close again but on track to finish and made a bone-headed wrong turn that added in too much mileage. I got in about 135 miles in 2011. Was going to choose a flatter race like IMAZ this year as IMOOs hills aren't built for Athenas, but my heart only felt right finishing what I started in Wisconsin.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? To be blunt I need to lose 50 pounds no ifs-ands-or-buts this time. That and really try and increase my bike and run fitness while maintaining or slightly improving the swim.

What are you most looking forward to? Enjoying myself more not being as afraid of the clock... SEEing the finish line.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? If you have weight you'd like to drop DO NOT WAIT until peak training. You can lose some then, but it's tricky... body is much more forgiving in the off season when you're not trying to fuel the long sessions.
2011-09-21 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3695659

User image

Veteran
Columbus, IN

Name:amyleigh / Amy

What is your Ironman resume? IMKY 2010 and 2011  IMFL 2011 (this November)

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I wanted an IM fairly close (Louisville is only an hour from me) but I also wanted a different course.  I've heard so many great things about IMWI.  When I decided to sign up my brother and brother in law both decided to sign up as well!

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Improve my bike split.  Biking is totally my weakness and I realize Wisconsin is a tough bike course so I will be working really hard. 

What are you most looking forward to?  Getting faster and stronger on the bike.  Riding hills!  Training.  Enjoying the city of Madison and having a great race day!!  And it's always fun meeting new people!Smile

2011-09-21 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3695659

User image

Veteran
Columbus, IN

Name:amyleigh / Amy

What is your Ironman resume? IMKY 2010 and 2011  IMFL 2011 (this November)

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I wanted an IM fairly close (Louisville is only an hour from me) but I also wanted a different course.  I've heard so many great things about IMWI.  When I decided to sign up my brother and brother in law both decided to sign up as well!

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Improve my bike split.  Biking is totally my weakness and I realize Wisconsin is a tough bike course so I will be working really hard. 

What are you most looking forward to?  Getting faster and stronger on the bike.  Riding hills!  Training.  Enjoying the city of Madison and having a great race day!!  And it's always fun meeting new people!SmileOOOOOPS!!!  Sorry for the double post!!

Edited by amyleigh 2011-09-21 9:35 PM
2011-09-22 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI

Hello to all...  Looking forward to a fun year coming up...

Name:  bscharff / Ben

What is your Ironman resume? This will be my first IM.  I've done the Racine HIM twice (2009/2010)

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I love Madison.  Went to school there and am a huge badger fan...!!!  There are always a strong contigent of friends down their racing and volunteering.  Also, it is close to home as I currently live in the Milwaukee area.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? I'm holding off on the race goal setting for the time being.  I'm coming off a very disappointing 2011 (from a training/racing standpoint) as a couple of injuries kept me sidelined pretty much all season.  I am anxious to see how the body responds to getting back to training.  My goal for the time being is to train smart and train consistently - while maintaining the proper perspective and balance of home and work life.

What are you most looking forward to?  Aside from crossing the finish line, I am really looking forward to getting back into training mode, hopefully pull off a couple strong races in prep, and then to see what the body has in it come race day.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? As an IM newbie, but 3 time volunteer at IMWI, all I can add is that the volunteers really do rock out there and they are there to help - so holler out what it is that you need when coming into the aid stations...

Good luck to everyone with their training...!!!

2011-09-22 1:05 PM

User image

Expert

Name: tmoran80/ Tim

What is your Ironman resume? FIRST IM (Did Branson 70.3 and Racine 70.3)

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Was going back and forth between Madison and Louisville and decided on Madison becasue it is a way closer to Chicago and I am hoping to get a big familiy/friend support for race.  I also wanted to experience the mass swim swim start compared to Louisville.

What are your goals for IMWI 2012? Finish with a smile Laughing.  Not really sure about time goal yet but I have a number in mind based off previous training and 70.3 results.

What are you most looking forward to? I don't know if you would consider this looking forward to or more anxious about - but dealing with my time management during training.  I had been planning on this race for two years now and a little wrench got thrown in the plan when my wife became pregnant with our 3rd child who is due October 22.  Everyone tells me I am nuts for still doing this but I think with the right plan, support and ability to somehow keep my wife happy I can make it happen.  Looking forward to the challenge as I have been wanting to compete in this race since I was a little kid.  I even still have my Dave Scott Triathlon Training book I bough back in the late 80's-haha  When I get desperate next year I will pull it out for reference.

I am looking forward to sharing this journey with you all over the next year and learning good stuff from the veterans of this race!

2011-09-22 10:38 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Great start to the thread!!! Looks like we have a big group already with a mix of IM virgins and veterans. There is a handful of us in or close to the Madison area so maybe a BT training camp next summer at some point may be in order? And for those coming to ride the course from out of town....keep in mind that Madison has some of the best cycling routs in all of the Midwest/US so don't just ride the loop of you have time, Blue Mounds has harder and bigger hills then the course provides.

Who here has been/or is getting coached for their Ironman training? What are your thoughts on having a coach? I am going into another season bypassing the option of a coach and use BT and Slowtwitch, along with all the conversations I have with fellow training partners to get the ideas flowing in my head about how to undertake the prep going into IM.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 45