General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Lake Tahoe South Shore Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Athleta Iron Girl Lake Tahoe South Shore Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Stateline, California
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 48s
Overall Rank = 184/494
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 49/102
Pre-race routine:

Got up really early. Ate a breakfast of oatmeal, banana, hard boiled egg and small cup of coffee. Headed out to race site before the sun was up!
Event warmup:

Set up transition spot. Did not do a run,swim or bike warm up. Too cold to do a swim warm up. Would have had to get out of water and stand around for thirty minutes waiting for my wave to begin. I can't imagine waiting in the chilly morning air, wet. Decided to swim with sports bra and bike shorts under wet suit. Wanted to have a dry bike jersey for the ride and run. Good decision.
Swim
  • 10m 30s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I loved the swim! Not scary at all. Had a great time. Altitude wasn't as big of an issues as I feared. I was also concerned about being frigid cold as I got out of the water. Keeping my wetsuit on and running back to the bike transition warmed me up nicely.
What would you do differently?:

I would put yankz or some sort of quick shoe ties on the old beater shoes I left in shoe transition. My hands were colder than I thought. Tying shoes took longer than I would have liked. Waiting for the swim to start produced some pretty cold feet too. Find a way to keep feet warmer longer.
Transition 1
  • 00m 10s
Comments:

I am not sure why transition time was so long. I am guessing they consider the transition time from when you collect your shoes in shoe transition to when you run the 650meters to where your bike is located, take wet suit off, get bike jersey and jacket on, socks and shoes.

No sure any of it could be avoided. The nature of this race increases transition time.
Bike
  • 54m 39s
  • 14.91 miles
  • 16.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved the bike! I felt safe and well supported.

Take time to put on gloves. I didn't realize how cold my hands were until I got off the bike and attempted to tie my running shoes. I had really hard time.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Had to take my bike jacket off for the run. Had a little trouble getting my run hat on. My ponytail was all caught up in the velcro of my hat.

Get some of those clippy things for running shoes. Maybe try a good running visor.
Run
  • 30m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

My feet were numb. I didn't realize how cold I was. I ran for 30 minutes and those feet never gained feeling. It didn't hurt, just felt really weird. Maybe it helped me run faster! =)

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Came across finish line a happy girl!! I had some water and tried a muscle milk light. Not bad. Post race breakfast wasn't too bad.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was not aggressive enough on the bike. I need to learn more about strategy, what is considered obnoxious racing behavior and what isnt'.

Event comments:

I had a great time!! If logistics allow, I might do this one again. This race was very well organized. Check in the day before was easy and stress free. Not crowded. Tons of volunteers to lend a hand with everything. The bike course was well supported. See bike section. Run course had one aid station that you passed twice. I didn't really feel I needed the aid but it was nice it was there. Race announcer cracked me up. Took time to acutally read the bio's of the racers and if time allowed, comment on them as racer came across finish line.

Last updated: 2011-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:30 | 437 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/102
Overall: 0/494
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot
Course: The water was crystal clear and beautiful! Swim start was narrow so there was a lot more jockeying around other people than I have dealt with in the past. Water was warmer than outside air temp! Not shocking, take your breath away type of cold water feeling. Buoys were fairly easy to see except on the way back to the shoreline. The glare from the rising sun was blinding me. I couldn't see the swim exit well. Kind of wish the swim was longer.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:39 | 14.91 miles | 16.37 mile/hr
Overall: 230/494
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful course. It was out and back from Harveys to Cave Rock. Plenty of hills but I trained for them so it was managable. I think I could of decreased my time if I was more aggressive with passing others. I was so concerned about trying to follow the rules that I found myself hanging back when I knew I could have pushed harder. There were tons of support. CHP, local police and SAG. Road seemed to have been recently paved. Middle lane of Highway 50 was shut down just for our event. While this caused a traffic pain for motorists, it was super for a cyclist! When else does a person get to ride that busy road without fear of being run over.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:08 | 03.11 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 128/494
Course: Two lap run through residential area. Flat with some mellow hills. This was probably my least favorite portion of the race. Not much to see here. Oh well. Can't have it all! Not crazy about loop courses either. Prefer a straight shot but really not a big deal.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-21 4:54 PM

NorCal
Subject: Athleta Iron Girl Lake Tahoe South Shore Women's Triathlon

2011-09-22 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3695654

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.
Subject: RE: Athleta Iron Girl Lake Tahoe South Shore Women's Triathlon

Great race!

I had a great time watching you all!

Love this:  Middle lane of Highway 50 was shut down just for our event. While this caused a traffic pain for motorists, it was super for a cyclist! When else does a person get to ride that busy road without fear of being run over.

As a Tahoe resident, just getting some miles on the roads here is a battle. Soo many tourists and road work (workers put their signs in the bike lanes). 

Again great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Lake Tahoe South Shore Women's Triathlon Rss Feed