General Discussion Race Reports! » Aspen Golden Leaf Half Marathon - TRAIL RUN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Aspen Golden Leaf Half Marathon - TRAIL RUN - Run

View Member's Race Log
Aspen, Colorado
United States
Ute Mountaineer
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 33s
Overall Rank = 16/750
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/40
Pre-race routine:

Lilia and I drove to Aspen Saturday night and picked my drunk friend, Danny, at Taka Sushi at around 11pm... He couldn't stand up, so we drove him home. Fair trade I guess as we spared hotel costs by crashing at his house in Basalt. Woke up at 6, had some coffee and half of a lemon muffin and drove to the start at Snowmass village. Payed the steep $45 dollar registation fee and picked up my packet. Interestingly, Aaron Ralston (the lost hiker who freed himself by amputating his arm) was registering right in front of me... used the bathroom and walked to the starting line...
Event warmup:

Light stretching... more to release nervous energy than to actually stretch...
Run
  • 1h 42m 33s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I have run this race 4 times... Last year I finished 17th over all with a time of around 1:49... I thought that I could top ten with a time of 1:45 or better. Unfortunately even though I shaved 7 minutes off last years time, I only improved to 16th over all.

Still I was very happy with my run. I had a plan to attack the first hill at the start (the hardest part of the course) and I did. Also, I usually tire and lose time over the last 2-3 miles so this year I wanted to run conservitively through the course (after the initial climb) and finish strong. I did that as well with mile splits under 6:30.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Today I ran about as well as I could have.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some watermelon... had a bottle of water and waited for Lilia to roll on in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I experienced a side stitch from mile 5-9... I don't know if it slowed me or actually helped me... I know it kept me from burning up my legs on the trail so it may have been a good thing...

Event comments:

Awesome race... As always, a beautiful Aspen Day... Great spirit at this event... It keeps getting better and the competition gets tougher and tougher.

The course is pretty brutal - lots of blood and skin was left on the trail!

Last updated: 2005-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:33 | 13.3 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/40
Overall: 16/750
Performance: Good
Avg HR was 156 (my max is 178) I regularly saw my HR in the middle 160's which is higher than my track workouts Over 90% of the race was borderline aerobic/anaerobic
Course: The Golden Leaf starts on Fanny Hill just off the pedestrian mall in Snowmass Village at an elevation of about 8650 feet. The first 1.5 miles are grueling as it climbs to around 9650 feet and connects to the Government Trail (The Government Trail is a single track that contours the mountainsides between Snowmass and Buttermilk before descending to the outskirts of Aspen). The trail is dirt with some obstacles (rocks, roots, etc.) and the terrain is hilly aspen forests and meadows.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-19 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: Aspen Golden Leaf Half Marathon - TRAIL RUN

2005-09-19 11:26 AM
in reply to: #249158

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: Aspen Golden Leaf Half Marathon - TRAIL RUN
You are great Babes!
Speedy! 7 min off!
1:42! - that's my flat marathon time just about...
Congratulations on a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aspen Golden Leaf Half Marathon - TRAIL RUN Rss Feed